PDA

View Full Version : Taseko Lake

the sentencer
01-15-2011, 03:36 PM
I am hoping to get into the Taseko Lake area sometime this year to do a bit of exploring but information on road access seems to be a little limited. I've heard you can't drive past the Taseko Lake lodge on the lake, is this true? If it's possible to drive past there can you drive to the summit lakes area or past there still? Some information from people who have been in this area recently would be appreciated, thank you!

.330 Dakota
01-15-2011, 07:01 PM
I have been in there 2 out of the last 3 years hunting goats.
You can drive waaay past the Taseko lodge. You will need a decent 4x4 and I wouldnt do it unless at least 2 trucks went in. (NO TRAILERS) You can drive all the way to Battlement Ridge at the base of Red Mountain, You will see Powell Creek on the map. Thats as far as I have been. The road does fork off to the west at Battlement and crosses the river there, but I have never ventured that way. Hope this helps..Brad

the sentencer
01-16-2011, 03:06 PM
Thanks for the information .330 Dakota i'll hopefully take a drive out that way sometime in the summer.

silvicon
01-16-2011, 06:39 PM
Taseko Lk. area is under indien 'control'.
you are asking for trouble!

the sentencer
01-16-2011, 07:33 PM
Taseko Lk. area is under indien 'control'.
you are asking for trouble!

Where did you get this information from? From everything i've read i've never heard about anything it being a native reserve of any kind. Is there anything you can point me to to read about?

pg83
01-16-2011, 11:07 PM
I hunt 5-4 every year and have never had problems with the natives.

Deaddog
01-17-2011, 06:44 AM
been in that area lots...residents of the area have always been helpful and freindly ..DD

.330 Dakota
01-17-2011, 08:05 AM
I hunt 5-4 every year and have never had problems with the natives.

Same here, although we almost ran over one that came around a corner on a quad too fast, yet he still waved with all his fingers...LOL

srupp
01-17-2011, 02:46 PM
most are friendly, not all..

Steven

scoot
01-21-2011, 10:23 AM
I have been in there 2 out of the last 3 years hunting goats.
You can drive waaay past the Taseko lodge. You will need a decent 4x4 and I wouldnt do it unless at least 2 trucks went in. (NO TRAILERS) You can drive all the way to Battlement Ridge at the base of Red Mountain, You will see Powell Creek on the map. Thats as far as I have been. The road does fork off to the west at Battlement and crosses the river there, but I have never ventured that way. Hope this helps..Brad

I agree, have a decent 4x4, it's a bit of a slow go for the last 10 k's as I recall. There is one spot where the road is washed out past the lake that had been repaired more than once. It can be sketchy if you can even pass it now.
PS, I ahve never had trouble with natives up there at all.

Good2bCanadian
06-29-2011, 11:42 AM
Does anyone know the status of the road to summit lakes.
Will be travelling in a longbox quad cab diesel pickup on 35" tires.
And a lifted tundra.
We have a leh goat in 5-04j sep1-oct31
Going either early sep or mid to end of oct.
Or can we boat in to the south beach,set up camp and hike from there, 16" princecraft with yamaha 25hp.

Any info much appreciated.

pg83
06-29-2011, 04:18 PM
Don't know about the road, but I would be careful with a smaller boat on Taseko. It can be an awful stormy piece of water at times.

westcom
12-18-2016, 10:08 AM
I agree, have a decent 4x4, it's a bit of a slow go for the last 10 k's as I recall. There is one spot where the road is washed out past the lake that had been repaired more than once. It can be sketchy if you can even pass it now.
PS, I ahve never had trouble with natives up there at all.

I have hunted there for years. The problem now is the new park granted to the natives in the area. They have blocked access to the entire area farther down the road as well as on the north side of the bridge. So getting to this area means you have to clash with an armed guard. They have no right to block this area, but they do... welcome to the new Canada.

markomoose
12-18-2016, 01:47 PM
Also hunted 5-04 plenty but probably not now with the Supreme Court give-away.Some big bears and Mulies in that MU.

BgBlkDg
12-18-2016, 02:18 PM
I have hunted there for years. The problem now is the new park granted to the natives in the area. They have blocked access to the entire area farther down the road as well as on the north side of the bridge. So getting to this area means you have to clash with an armed guard. They have no right to block this area, but they do... welcome to the new Canada.

I would like to see the Canadian Special Operations Regiment and some JTF2 troops sent in with air support to deal with incidents such as this.

I also support total disarmament of all so-called "first nations".

These actions would soon solve this issue.

srupp
12-18-2016, 05:00 PM

Hmm not sure of the park..just lands awarded by supreme court purple robes..conservation officers are telling resident hunters you simply cannot pass through these lands to get to areas further on even those further on lands are still crown..yes it does eliminate a lot of goat grizzlies. .Deer. .the grizzly tags are useless as most all grizz habitat is behind and through private Indian property.
Pretty sure no armed guards..just natives..who would call conservation officer or police.

Srupp

Busterpayton54
12-18-2016, 08:34 PM
I have some friends that ventured out that way this summer simply camping and exploring. They came across one of these road blocks which they were allowed to pass through being that they were not hunting.

another group encountered the same thing on the 3100/Red mountain fsr in the south end of gang ranch as they were traveling north through mud/Schwartz through to Williams lake.

butcher
12-18-2016, 09:44 PM
Need to fly in. That way you only have to worry about the outfitter being a douche.

westcom
12-19-2016, 01:25 PM
During hunting season they introduced an armed guard. I hunt their and live near by. They are definitely blocking the access. No access to areas past blockade by land. Not a good situation and our government has other areas of the Fraser river under consideration. The precedent has been set so get ready for more. Once it is done and put in place it is far harder to dismantle. Hopefully Trump invades British Columbia.

B.C.Boy(100%)
12-19-2016, 09:07 PM
Is the road blocked or guarded that goes into and passed the Taseko Lake's Lodge?
Is this the road that is blocked/guarded?
So east side of the river, south of the Davidson bridge?

Stresd
12-20-2016, 08:29 AM
Also hunted 5-04 for more than 40 years. Many, many great memories. Sadly we no longer hunt there because of the afore mentioned issues

westcom
12-20-2016, 11:21 AM
Yes.

Cant get to taseko lake lodge for hunting, I am not sure if the lodge is still guiding for moose. Other guides are still conducting business in the area.

Bigd74
12-20-2016, 04:26 PM
I was up there this summer, no issues getting in past the natives.

srupp
12-20-2016, 05:27 PM
Hmmm only get into the area during hunting season actually asked what I was doing in there by someone who works for the band..havnt seen these Stewart's of the land yet..will be in the general area January..will advise..
Steven