PDA

View Full Version : Yotes..

NitwiT
01-14-2011, 04:47 PM
Spent the last hour or so, searching through old threads trying to find the answer to my confusion. As my wife could tell you however, I suck at finding things.

Been thinking about the off season, and as hunting is my first and only hobby, with me aiming to get into kayaking shortly, been trying to find ways to keep myself busy till the september.

Found a video on predator calling, and am quite intrigued. Mostly because I need more trigger time, and confidence in my shots. I punch paper just fine, but have a hard time converting that to confidence while after deer/bear.

Hence, coyotes, and the question that arises there of. What the heck do you do with them? I've heard something about sell the pelts, but what do you do with the rest? And can anyone describe the procedure to salvage a pelt? Or do most of you just throw the whole works away?

Planning on finding a 243, or 22-250 to do this with, but for now I'll just hit them with my 300 wm.

Any advice, pm's or forum posts, needed.

Also, I'm aware theres people out there that refuse to and frown upon those that kill without intentions of eating. I've weighed that, and found it wanting when it comes to an out of control population.

Mark

knighthunter
01-14-2011, 05:07 PM
I've shot several coyote's with my 30-06, shooting 125 grains of lead. Maybe you can too.

NitwiT
01-14-2011, 05:10 PM
I have no doubt that I can, my question is what then?

boothcreek
01-14-2011, 05:20 PM
keep the hide and skull and give the rest of the carcass to a trapper as bait? At the taxi I work any carcass gets picked up by trappers.

Surrey Boy
01-14-2011, 06:16 PM
http://www.furharvesters.com/

Western Canadian coyotes are doing pretty well in their prices. You'll need to pay a royalty, but selling a fur taken with your hunting licence is legal, and you may not exceed your bag limit.

www.nafa.ca (http://www.nafa.ca)

KB90
01-14-2011, 06:22 PM
You can skin them and get them tanned. I kept my first one and its now hanging on my wall. Looks nice. I also kept a skull.

Legally here in BC you cannot just leave them in the bush, although a lot of people do. But once you get it home you can do whatever you want with it.

Nothing wrong with shooting coyotes just to help the deer out.

Also depending on where you are calling for a cat is fun, they make an awesome trophy.

Go out and have fun, it's awesome.

Check out Predatorhuntcanada.com

A few members here are also on there. There is a contest thread you can look through. Although those prairie boys will make you jealous :D

NitwiT
01-14-2011, 08:40 PM
that's cool, I was kind of planning to have a worst case scenario where I shoot and dispose at home. But knowing you can get some money back just ups the ante.

Surrey Boy: regarding your post, and your seeming to be in the know :P, I'm assuming the hides need to be tanned before being sent off? and if this is correct, how much would it cost to get a hide tanned (roughly)?

Sorry for the basic q's, just started looking into this the other night

Surrey Boy
01-14-2011, 08:55 PM
http://www.furharvesters.com/pelthandling.htm

It doesn't sound that way. They'll need to be dried and racked so that they can verify that they received what you shipped, but it looks like they take them pretty raw.

I think you can get a bear pelt tanned for ~$200, but the prices they give would make it unprofitable to tan the hide before shipping.

olharley guy
01-14-2011, 08:59 PM
Howdy, not tanned just dried and stretched-1x8x6'0 or so and cut to a semi point at one end for the nose to hook on should be good enough for the average size animal and strech it down the board-hair on the inside.

Tack it down when you stretch it-this is the basic idea-if you surf the net a bit I am sure you will find the total story on how to do it. Later

NitwiT
01-14-2011, 09:17 PM
haha, i'm gonna have to! how long do you stretch/dry it for?

olharley guy
01-14-2011, 09:40 PM
Howdy, I haven't done any for a few years but when they are on the board hair inside you also have to carefully get rid of any fat and stuff.

It should be in a fairly warm place-not real hot and you can tell because the skin feels dry-leave it a little longer if you are not sure-I am trying to remember but I think it was 3-4 days in a heated porch.

When dry take it off the board and carefully turn it inside out and brush the fur smooth-feels real smooth and silky, you will probably want to get 8 or 10 and make the wife a real nice fur coat so some dick heads could try spray painting it and then you could have more excitement than when you were hunting them. Ha! Later

leadpillproductions
01-14-2011, 09:45 PM
What do you get for selling a coyote hide from a tannery

Surrey Boy
01-14-2011, 09:48 PM
What do you get for selling a coyote hide from a tannery

Cruise the sites I posted, and there are several more that I didn't. Depends on market trends, supply, demand, all that. Blonder hides generally go for more. Each auction round is different, just like livestock.

olharley guy
01-14-2011, 09:55 PM
Howdy, I just looked up a website-stretching coyotes-and some of the fellows said you make more for the dried pelt than if it was tanned because of the cost for having it tanned.
Glad this subject came up as I will be getting into this again next winter and I have to refresh myself.
Reminded me about bigger animals like wolves-two boards and drive one up the middle to make the stretcher wide enough for the size of the animal. Not sure of what the fur buyers are paying right now but I think I will have to look it up. Later