PDA

View Full Version : Winch for reciever hitch question

Cbuck
01-14-2011, 09:53 AM
Wondering if anyone has experience with using a winch bracket that can be (slide into) attached or detached into a 2" reciever hitch on the back of a truck the same as hooking up a trailer etc?

Not sure if such a mounting bracket is avaliable to purchase or if I would need to make one up. Was thinking that I could slide winch into reciever and have it on a 180 degree swivel for pulling game out etc. The electrical connections would also be on a plug in basis when needed.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

bighornbob
01-14-2011, 10:11 AM
Wondering if anyone has experience with using a winch bracket that can be (slide into) attached or detached into a 2" reciever hitch on the back of a truck the same as hooking up a trailer etc?

Not sure if such a mounting bracket is avaliable to purchase or if I would need to make one up. Was thinking that I could slide winch into reciever and have it on a 180 degree swivel for pulling game out etc. The electrical connections would also be on a plug in basis when needed.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

I have one for the front of my truck. It started as a stock trailer hitch for the front of a truck, which I had the reciever removed and raised 3 inches to keep my clearence the same. Then I had another receiver welded onto the bottom of the winch brackett. Then all that is needed ia a piece of 2" square tubing about 1.5 feet long to connect the winch to the truck. I plan on doing the same on the back and running pwer to the back. This way the winch is in the back of the truck in a dry bow until needed, or in the shed until I go into the woods.

It took me and a buddy awhile to make the whole thing then I see you can buy a complete oufit like the one we made for a lot less trouble then it took us.

The costco in Kamloops sells this unit for under $400. I have the same winch but its a 8000lb and I paid the same as the 10,000lb and it did not come with the quick attach.

http://www.costco.ca/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=10325004&search=winch&Mo=2&cm_re=1_en-_-Top_Left_Nav-_-Top_search&lang=en-CA&Nr=P_CatalogName:BCCA&Sp=S&N=0&whse=BCCA&Dx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntk=Text_Search&Dr=P_CatalogName:BCCA&Ne=4000000&D=winch&Ntt=winch&No=2&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Nty=1&topnav=&s=1

Cbuck
01-14-2011, 11:01 AM
Hey thanks for the info and costco link. That is more or less what I was looking for.

Thought it might be handy to have something that can swivel to each side of road in case I'm in a tight area. Could probably rig up some extra metal as you did if needed.

bighornbob
01-14-2011, 12:05 PM
Thought it might be handy to have something that can swivel to each side of road in case I'm in a tight area. Could probably rig up some extra metal as you did if needed.

With a winch that strong I doubt if you would need it to swivel. We got a truck stuck in a ditch filled with about 4 feet of snow. I thought we would have to dig the front of the truck out so it would roll out. But my buddy told to me to put away the shovel and he pulled the winch cable staright sideways to a tree (the cable was touching the headlight). The winch had no problem pulling the front of the truck 4 feet sideways.

BHB

Mik
01-14-2011, 12:18 PM
I had one of them costco winches. It burnt out while i was pulling a moose out of the brush in Alberta. I now own a "warn" winch, well worth the money.

Check this link out; http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=61575

Steeleco
01-14-2011, 01:34 PM
I used a front and rear set up on my Cherokee for years. You'll need a long extention to reach the rear. Make sure you get the right gauge wire or you'll be stuck and making smoke!

boyd050
01-14-2011, 11:06 PM
had one for years, I have a ramsey 8000 which I can slide in and plug in front or back in about a minute.. wouldn't be without it, period.saved my butt a few times and other pople a few more!!! :mrgreen:

Piperdown
01-15-2011, 08:37 AM
Forget about the swivel, chain and a snatchblock around a tree and off you go! Mine works awesome.

Cbuck
01-15-2011, 08:51 PM
Thanks for all the great info. Havent used a winch much and I have a way better idea of what might work now.

gmcgilli66
01-15-2011, 10:30 PM
There's a complete setup available on 4x4bc at the moment. If you are just trying to get unstuck, often the easiest way out is the way you went in. Far less likely to break something that way. I'm not a big fan of 90 degree sideways winching as it can play hell with your front end.
Get a couple of recovery straps, or heavy chain, a tree saver strap, and a good snatch block, then go out and practice a bit so you know how to use your gear.
Watch some utube vids for what NOT to do. It gets too expensive to thrash your vehicle needlessly, imo.

Fixit
01-15-2011, 10:39 PM
ive also got a warn M8000i with the reciever mount for sale.
pm for details if interested

burger
01-17-2011, 10:48 PM
Theres one from me in the for sale section right now. all the goodies including wiring quick connects hi lift and such.

pnbrock
01-17-2011, 10:54 PM
where are these posted for sale?