PDA

View Full Version : Nuisance Trapping.

hunter1947
01-14-2011, 03:10 AM
I have been thinking about trying to make a go of nuisance trapping this fall.
I have my trapping papers but never really got into trapping I would like to make use of the trapping papers I have.

My thoughts is that I can ether lease a trap line for this fall or try getting into nuisance trapping I am retired so this would give me time to do what I like to do.

Being new to the EK last year my thoughts are go to as many ranches around the outskirts of cranbrook and ask the ranchers if they need any nuisance trapping done for wolves or other ,put adds in the local news paper.

I will get a hundred nuisance cards made up to give to different ranchers and if they ever need my services to call me.

I can trap on private property with my trapping license just have to have written permission from the land owner.

Its worth a stab I got nothing loose only to gain if I do get into nuisance trapping I would want someone from around the cranbrook area to go partners with me 50,50 right down the line.

I know enough trappers out thee that would give me lots of help if I where to get into trapping one of them being my friend from down at the coast http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon7.gif..
What do you members think do you think I am on the right track ????.

Surrey Boy
01-14-2011, 03:32 AM
Go for it. Keep us posted.

Pete
01-14-2011, 08:15 AM
Having been in the business for better than 32 yrs. Here is some insight of what it will take to get going.
- trappers licence
- Wildlife permit specific to the wildlife you are going after.
(some species you will not get permits for)
- Liability insurance 3-5 million depending on the Municipality or City
- Business Licences for each area you plan on working in
- WCB
This is not counting all of the equipment, traps, snarepoles, holding cages, vehicles and communications. There is much more involved than folks realize. If you pm I will be more than happy to provide you with information.

Peters Wildlife
01-14-2011, 08:24 AM
Ive been Nuisance trapping for a while now Wayne, when you come down to the coast, we can talk. I really enjoy it, but like Pete said, there is a lot of preparing.

hunter1947
01-14-2011, 08:35 AM
Having been in the business for better than 32 yrs. Here is some insight of what it will take to get going.
- trappers licence
- Wildlife permit specific to the wildlife you are going after.
(some species you will not get permits for)
- Liability insurance 3-5 million depending on the Municipality or City
- Business Licences for each area you plan on working in
- WCB
This is not counting all of the equipment, traps, snarepoles, holding cages, vehicles and communications. There is much more involved than folks realize. If you pm I will be more than happy to provide you with information.

Thanks Pete for the feed back it sounds like it would be better to get into leasing someones trap lineup this way ,what do you think ???.

Kody94
01-14-2011, 09:44 AM
Wayne, I've got a skunk that needs to go (under my front entranceway!). Been waiting on Cranbrook Animal Control since September, but lately he only comes out when its good and warm. If you get set up and want to look after it for me, shoot me a PM.
Cheers!

knighthunter
01-14-2011, 09:44 AM
It could also help you as far as permission to hunt some of these ranches next fall. Would let the ranchers see what kind of a fella you are, sure wouldn't hurt.

NaStY
01-14-2011, 10:00 AM
It all depends on whether you are doing it as a job or just a hobby. License's, permits and insurance are mandatory but starting a company may not need to happen till it took off. If you only made a couple hundred bucks a month from it, the cost would far out way.

hunter1947
01-14-2011, 10:09 AM
Wayne, I've got a skunk that needs to go (under my front entranceway!). Been waiting on Cranbrook Animal Control since September, but lately he only comes out when its good and warm. If you get set up and want to look after it for me, shoot me a PM.
Cheers!

I would love to take care of this skunk for you for a beer but I did not renew my trapping license last fall.

hunter1947
01-14-2011, 10:10 AM
If I trapped on land owners farm for free would I need insurance ??? my thoughts are no because I am doing for free ,maybe I can trad off trapping for to elk hunt on the farmers land..

nwalter
01-14-2011, 10:44 AM
you may be doing it for free but if someones animal or kid gets caught in your traps and hurts themselves then you are held liable. Doesnt matter if you are doing it as a favor. Idiocy pays in the western world

hunter1947
01-14-2011, 10:53 AM
you may be doing it for free but if someones animal or kid gets caught in your traps and hurts themselves then you are held liable. Doesnt matter if you are doing it as a favor. Idiocy pays in the western world

You are right I see your point.

BromBones
01-14-2011, 11:21 AM
If I trapped on land owners farm for free would I need insurance ??? my thoughts are no because I am doing for free ,maybe I can trad off trapping for to elk hunt on the farmers land..

No, you don't need insurance. Just a valid trappers license and a letter of permission from the landowner, which must be carried when trapping. Keep you trap sets well beyond the minimum distance they need to be from a dwelling. Also if you have a set that could possibly harm a pet like snare sets or a big conibear, usually best to let the landowner know about it or see if he approves, expecially if they like to let their dogs wander. I'd think the liability insurance for BCWF members might apply there anyways?

I trap private property only as I don't have a line, and have 5 different properties that I trap on, as well as my own. Never had a conflict with a landowner - just keep them informed on what activities I have going on. I find as well that once they get to know you some and figure you're a decent guy who can show respect for their property, getting permission to hunt there is easy enough if you want it.

Myself, I just have to trick them into thinking I'm a decent guy :wink:

gamehunter6o
01-14-2011, 04:39 PM
I've got a nuisance neighbour you can trap and tan his hide. As a matter of fact you can have his missus as well.:icon_frow

XPEIer
01-14-2011, 05:05 PM
you also need an apprentice, someone that is small and skinny in stature to get into those tight attics for raccoons.

right Pete?

xpeier

Pete
01-14-2011, 05:10 PM
[quote=hunter1947;833255]Thanks Pete for the feed back it sounds like it would be better to get into leasing someones trap lineup this way ,what do you think ???.[/quote

Wayne, I would try to lease a line or go and help someone on theirs. If you contact me I will give you some names down in your part of the world that should be able to give you a hand getting started. It is an avenue that I highly recommend. Learn to trap first then apply that knowledge to your nuisance work. As I said I am more than willing to assist. It is a long process but if you like the work it can be very rewarding. When you run into difficulties you can call.
Cheers
pete

leadpillproductions
01-14-2011, 06:28 PM
ive always wanted to do somethin like this , I should get of my ass and do it lol

Trapper
01-14-2011, 07:09 PM
I've got a nuisance neighbour you can trap and tan his hide. As a matter of fact you can have his missus as well.:icon_frow

Now that is funny

ELKAHOLICS
01-15-2011, 12:00 AM
this is painfull

hunter1947
01-15-2011, 02:21 AM

I just might come down and do this for you Neil LOL thats a good one ,this kind of humor is why I like you coming into visit us every fall :mrgreen:..

hunter1947
01-15-2011, 02:32 AM
[quote=hunter1947;833255]Thanks Pete for the feed back it sounds like it would be better to get into leasing someones trap lineup this way ,what do you think ???.[/quote

Wayne, I would try to lease a line or go and help someone on theirs. If you contact me I will give you some names down in your part of the world that should be able to give you a hand getting started. It is an avenue that I highly recommend. Learn to trap first then apply that knowledge to your nuisance work. As I said I am more than willing to assist. It is a long process but if you like the work it can be very rewarding. When you run into difficulties you can call.
Cheers
Pete

Pete Thank you so very much for the few years that you have given your advice on the HBC site .

From a few pictures that you sent me last year and your post on HBC tells me you are a very experienced trapper and I take all your advice and put it up in the old egg nog brain.

It is a little late to get into trapping helping someone this year but for next fall I am all for it ,learning the right way trapping would be great just like you said learn first and thats what I would like to do.

I did learn from my master trapper on how to trap beaver with the 330 conabear spring trap a rough figure is that we took about 80 beaver in two years when I helped trap with this experienced trapper on Vancouver Island.

I will send you my email address Pete and we can go from there ,I don't want anything to help out who ever I hook up with just to learn from them who ever it may be ,Thanks again for your help ,Wayne.:-D.

Kody94
01-17-2011, 04:21 PM
[quote=Pete;833713]

Pete Thank you so very much for the few years that you have given your advice on the HBC site .

From a few pictures that you sent me last year and your post on HBC tells me you are a very experienced trapper and I take all your advice and put it up in the old egg nog brain.

It is a little late to get into trapping helping someone this year but for next fall I am all for it ,learning the right way trapping would be great just like you said learn first and thats what I would like to do.

I did learn from my master trapper on how to trap beaver with the 330 conabear spring trap a rough figure is that we took about 80 beaver in two years when I helped trap with this experienced trapper on Vancouver Island.

I will send you my email address Pete and we can go from there ,I don't want anything to help out who ever I hook up with just to learn from them who ever it may be ,Thanks again for your help ,Wayne.:-D.

Pete learned me up on how to trap, last year here in Cranbrook. :) I don't think you can go wrong there Wayne.