PDA

View Full Version : A Hunt to Rememeber Bison 2011!!!

wccougar
01-13-2011, 10:30 PM
Well what a trip, we hunted 7-57 A starting on Jan 1, when we got up there on the 31st it was cold, I could hadley breathe the cold air took my breath away. I was wondering what the hell was I thinking and now we have to go out on smowmobiles and hunt buffilo? We got to the cabins on the native ranch on the 31st and got ready for the opening day. My husband and son thinking I would jam out because I was complaining about the cold so bad. Well I think someone was looking out for us because it warmed right up and was sunny and beautiful the whole time we were there until the last day we were there it started to blow and snow hard. Well we were successful and got both tags filled. The trails were in great shape for sleding and we seen buson everyday. There was 4 bison taken down the first day, and I got mine on the 5th. We went way out the trail over 3 river crossings and the second crossing had opened up and made it a scarey situation coming back with the bison. My bull was in the middle of a meadow by himself and we got really close to him before I shot him it took 5 shots, man are they tuff animals. I can see why there is calibre retrictions. My son got his bison on the 7th when we had all the snow and wind, he got his a couple 2km,s out of the ranch on the other side of the river. The river was frozen so we sleded along the sides and then crossed when we needed too. To get there you go out the closed gate at the back of the ranch and when you get into the second big meadow go left down the trail and you will come to a river that part was open running and the second was also open too. The rest of the river was frozen. Another fellow got his on the edge ofthe river where there is little meadows. We sleded in places that their was no beaten path it was so much fun. My husband and son went out one last hunt on the afternoon of the 7th and they ran into a herd of about 25 bison, my son got his bison it was a nice size cow and it took 5 shots as well and he was close. We learnt alot and seen lots of game, moose,lynx,deer,elk and a white weasle on are porch after the meat. We took are own sled they ran like shit, they ran good at home but up there they were bad so we had to rent one from trail blazin power out of Fort St. John. The company was very good to deal with and the charge was 150.00 a aday and worth very penny we could double and be comfortable and we glided over the bumps. Are sleds ran great at home , but some guys were saying they aren;t jetted right for the elevation and another thing was putting the anti- freeze for you gas in, that also made a difference. As far as the bison they seem to be everyhwere and now with more snow they are moving closer to the ranch we even ran into some standing right on the trail. Over all it was a trip of a life time and I would definently do it again with better sleds of coarse. When I get my pic on the pc I will post them.:-D

peashooter
01-13-2011, 10:35 PM
all those words are cool but im waiting for the pics. congrats on a great hunt.

moose2
01-13-2011, 10:57 PM
Congrats on a successful hunt looking forward to the pictures. Thats nice being able to hunt 2 on the same trip.
Mike

hunter1947
01-14-2011, 03:33 AM
Nice to hear you got what you went after ,nice wright up and I will be looking forward to seeing the pictures ,congrats to the hunting party on getting this fine eater http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif..

fearnodeer
01-14-2011, 08:10 AM
Well done, glad to hear you could manage the cold and have a succesful trip to boot. Are you going to have to buy anouther frezzer to hold al that meat.

Peters Wildlife
01-14-2011, 08:18 AM
Was that you guys in the black truck Wednesday morn driving by the VGH? Looked like you had a good load.

hunterlaura
01-14-2011, 02:50 PM
sounds like a good trip. 5 shots on the cow too? wow! My mom's was knocked down in 1, what kind of guns were you 2 shooting? She was using my .300 win mag.

elkdom
01-14-2011, 03:33 PM
sounds like a good trip. 5 shots on the cow too? wow! My mom's was knocked down in 1, what kind of guns were you 2 shooting? She was using my .300 win mag.

jo'mamma sounds like a MEAN ONE !:-D

hunterlaura
01-14-2011, 04:20 PM
jo'mamma sounds like a MEAN ONE !:-D

haha! she's little, but she's fierce! that's what the farm does to us! :)

elkdom
01-14-2011, 04:27 PM
haha! she's little, but she's fierce! that's what the farm does to us! :)

RULE # 1, dont, pi$$ momma off,,,,,

RULE # 2, never forget RULE # 1,,,,,,,,,,,,,,:-|

asurebet
01-14-2011, 05:47 PM
Great job on getting your Bison, I know by talking to you that you were alittle worried, but like I told you enjoy the hunt and everything else will fall into place. Once again congrats!

BillyBull
01-14-2011, 06:43 PM
Sounds like you had a great time... well done, now you throw one hell of a buffalo burger barbeque.:D

M.Dean
01-14-2011, 08:40 PM
Congrats on a very successful Hunt!!! That is the Adventure of a Life Time!!!

trigger
01-15-2011, 12:33 PM
Congrats on getting a bison. Good for you guys. It is quite the experience. Can't wait to see the pics

jaeger
01-15-2011, 08:47 PM
Congratulation on a succsessful hunt!
I hope to draw a tag one of theese years!
Enjoy the fine meat and great memories.

wccougar
01-16-2011, 08:49 PM
Thanks for all the congrads, I shot with a 7mm mag. We had someone look at his horns and they think my bull is 12-14 yrs, the flavor is great but he is like a old rubber boot. So he is going for sausage,hamburgar and peperoni. My son bison was around 3 yrs so that should be good eating.

Tikka270wsm
01-16-2011, 09:05 PM
Congrats on a beauty bull! Sure glad you guy's were successfull. Long ways to go and friggun cold to boot. Way to go!

375 ultramag
01-17-2011, 09:34 AM
Congrats to you three,....sounds like a great hunt. Always a great adventure up there.

tomahawk
01-17-2011, 11:41 AM
Nice bull, with the picture it looks like a mature bull. Good flavor but chewy for sure. Got any other pictures?