PDA

View Full Version : Brittany Spaniel

sapper
01-13-2011, 09:54 PM
Does anyone here have any experience with Brittany Spaniels? Anyone know of good breeders they'd recommend?

Shooter
01-13-2011, 10:11 PM
We have a Brittany Spaniel and he is rounding into an awesome dog. He is 10 months old now and has an amazing temperament and disposition. We got him from Dakota Winters on this site. Drop her a line and if she isn't breeding again I am sure that she can hook you up with any info you need.

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee38/tnlpinkney/puppies/P1020622.jpg

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee38/tnlpinkney/puppies/P1020587.jpg

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee38/tnlpinkney/P1020746.jpg

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee38/tnlpinkney/P1020910.jpg

Lots'oLabs
01-13-2011, 10:14 PM
I grew up with Brittany Spaniels and I think they're pretty special.
If I hadn't gone over to the dark side, it's probably what I'd have now:razz:

The breeder that my Dad bought his dogs from is in the Fraser Valley and I understand he is still putting out very nice dogs.
His name is Don Thorsen. Does anyone know how to contact him?

model88
01-14-2011, 09:08 AM
I grew up with Brittanies as well, great dogs, both were really good family dogs as well as hunters. I have been doing some looking online as my current pup is getting on in years, a Britt will definantly be in my future.

stroh72
01-14-2011, 09:54 AM
Deanna at IslandviewBrittanys. We got Scout a year and a half ago and he has been by far the best dog I've ever had the pleasure to own.

Jimsue
01-14-2011, 01:42 PM
I have some pretty cool pictures that I took of a BS 2 weeks ago down at Conway. They go from introduction to live birds, to blank gun 60yard retrives on flyers. In 1/2 an hour on a 4 month old pup!!! I have no clue how to post a picture. She came from south eastern Washington, she was amazing.

saskbooknut
01-14-2011, 04:28 PM
Brittany Spaniels are the hardest working small dog that I have ever seen.
I hunted for two outings with a pair of Brittanies from Edmonton ( oh, and their skilled handler too).
I found their wide ranging character a bit different than my experience with English Setters. In big country (Saskatchewan) these dogs covered the ground, with a few more wild flushes than I wanted. However, my old English setter would not have covered half the acreage. We certainly ended up with just as many birds as could reasonably be expected. We recovered some runners that were difficult too.
If you like a wide ranging dog, small family pet, just plain lovable - Brittany Spaniels are your dog.

gmcgilli66
01-15-2011, 10:05 PM
I had a pair of Britts in the 80's and 90's . They were excellent dogs with strong upland instincts (from good hunting stock in Tappen) Smart, High energy output, very sturdy, hardy dogs. Both were spay/ neutered at 1 year. They lived kenneled outside until about 10 and then retired into the house. Ralphie passed at 12.5 and Tasha at 14. Both, I think, as victims of the bad dog food crisis as Kidney failure was the cause.
They were very social and strongly person oriented. Ralphie was a one man dog and Tasha loved everyone. They were litter mates. Tash we picked as a pup, and Ralphie was given to us by a fellow who wasn't allowed home until he found a new owner for his destructive pup. ... ate the back yard trees, dug holes and destroyed a set of kitchen cabinets while the people were away. He was lonely...
It took a lot of work and heavy exercise but he trained up as a really good dog for me.
They settled noticeably when about 5 or 6 and far less hyper. Mine were a high energy commitment. I didn't know a lot about dogs when I "inherited" them but they sure taught me a lot in a hurry.
If you have the time to work them, and keep them as a companion dog, I'd recommend a Brit. highly.
If the pup is alone all day while the family works, I'd say, pick a calmer, less energetic breed.

Their coat is dense and double. It will mat unless brushed regularly. Regular groomers trips are necessary. My male was also a strong water retriever.

Doe
01-16-2011, 08:34 AM
Between our Brit and our Springer, IMO the Brit has a far more desirable disposition. Both are fantastic family oriented dogs, but Hogan is just a more relaxed, easy going guy. At 10 months, he points, has a crazy good nose, and hasn't even had any bird training yet. I love my springer to death, he's my baby, but he has separation anxiety, and is a higher maintenence personality. Does not like being left alone, and cant stand to be more than a foot from me at all times. While Boone follows me from room to room, Hogan is flopped out, living a dogs life. He has taken much of his obedience training from his brother, and learns quickly.
I actually disagree with the above statement regarding grooming, he is fairly short haired with light feathering, and while the springer needs grooming on a 3 month basis, Hogan has been once, but didnt really need a cut. It is also a maintenence that could easily be done at home.
We have incurred some property damage, but quickly learned, they need their exercise, rain or shine, to let off steam, and blow energy.....oh did we learn.....lol Cant go wrong if you are willing to get them out. Only good things to say about the brittany's.

britman101
01-16-2011, 11:33 PM
Brittany's can be a high energy dog, but as long as they are given some exercise they will be happy. Now with that being said, if you want a dog, that can be a family pet and also a hunting dog then that is where the Brittany shines. In my opinion, dogs are the happiest when they are given a job to do, and the same holds true for the Brittany especially when used for hunting. Intelligent, hard working, and willing to please are some of the words you will hear as people talk about this breed of dog. But they can be hard nosed and independent and strong willed, features that can be used to mold the dog into the hunting dog you want it to be. So all in all, you get a dog that is medium sized, points and retrieves, and an all around good family pet. What more could you ask for. People have mentioned breeders in B.C., but don't forget about Alberta as some of the best field dogs in North America come from that province too.

dakotawinters
01-19-2011, 04:13 PM
I have two brittanys, love them to pieces do tons of stuff with them. We are thinking we might do another litter this year. PM me if you would like any info, or if you have any questions. Cheers.

DeerBelly
01-20-2011, 11:52 PM
I have trained and hunted a number of Brits and found them to be small,fast,tough dogs that could go all day in any cover and their coat was good in the cold weather.They were similar to training Setters.Don't tell them to do something,"ask" haha.There has been quite a difference in the ones I have worked with because they all came from different kennels in Canada and the States.Some of the dogs didn't point or retrieve or get out there and hunt while some would have been good duck dogs or horseback dogs.My old hunting partner has 3 male Brits and they have killed deer behind his house.Running on top of the hard packed snow and ripping the deers throats open so they are definately "Game".Don't count them out because of there size.They all point and run big but only the newest one retrieved without force fetching.I think kennel picking is very important to hopefully get what you want .Good Luck.

dakotawinters
01-21-2011, 05:16 PM
I finally got to look at those handsome shots Shooter, of Hogan. He's maturing wonderfully!

sapper
01-29-2011, 01:18 AM
Thanks for all the great responses and information. We need to finish our renovation at home here and then we can start exploring the dog option further. I think I have enough information here to be able to convince my wife.

brittrunner
02-09-2011, 03:59 PM
We have enjoyed two Britts in our home since 1993 - the father who died at 14 and now the son. They were and are very energetic, lovable, challenging, loyal, obstinate, affectionate, driven ..... (you get the idea) hunting machines. I think they both also exhibit a common Britt characteristic of being hard to categorize. The father/sire was slightly aloof but lovable and a huge runner that was in many ways single-minded. Many, many days when out for walks he would disappear for and hour or two playing with his chukar friends (all of whom I believe he knew on a first name basis). He was a difficult first dog for my wife and I together (although we had both had dogs while growing up).
The son is almost as good a hunter but not as driven. He is more affectionate and stays much closer for the most part both while hunting and also while simply walking (the beeper collar helps with that).
Just like all dogs, they are different but simlar enough in most ways to recommend highly as frst-class hunters and great family pets.