PDA

View Full Version : Bobcats in the rain.

Steeleco
01-13-2011, 06:37 PM
So my plans for my first day looking for Bobcat is only one sleep away. A quick look at the weather near Hope and it's supposed to pour all day, and not just a little bit. With 9* weather and all that rain is there any point getting out of bed??

I'll be solo and don't have dogs, the plan was to find track and set up all my gear, but is this rain going to ruin my ability to find "fresh" tracks and thus be a waste of time?

Thanks for any tips, David

snareman1234
01-13-2011, 06:40 PM
Not sure if all feel this, but when I trapped cats, I felt their movements were very reduced in the rain. I always caught cats on cold clear nights,

This could, however be related to the way my scents would carry better under these conditions.

But, cat tracks can be hard to distinguish once they are messed up so heavy rain may hurt the tracking

Buck TraX
01-13-2011, 07:28 PM
Theres always a chance .There should still be snow up there to find tracks i think . Saw a nice one get popped by two road hunters in the wack this year there pretty cool lookin animal up close good luck!

Barracuda
01-13-2011, 07:29 PM
that section you will be in very often has snow comeing down when its raining in town so it might no be too bad.

Rain washes away scent pretty fast but seeing as your calling not chaseing flea farms a slight drizzle shouldnt be a big issue especially since it looks like it might clear up a bit later .

could work out well for you further in .

good luck and bring a foam rollup to sit on when you set up so you dont freeze. dont forget about the yotes:wink:

GoatGuy
01-13-2011, 07:30 PM
You definitely won't find one laying in bed. :wink:

Jelvis
01-13-2011, 07:32 PM
If you hang around a barber shop long enough, you'll eventually get a haircut.
Jel ( cats don't like getting wet ) lol

Steeleco
01-13-2011, 08:42 PM
You definitely won't find one laying in bed. :wink:

Well, based on that piece of worldly advise, I guess the kitties had better lay low :mrgreen::mrgreen:

Yotes too LOL

keoke
01-13-2011, 08:54 PM
Keep in mind about snow melt + rain = washed out roads. I want to go out for a cat but the last time I did I lost my truck for 4 days.

GoatGuy
01-13-2011, 09:12 PM
Well, based on that piece of worldly advise, I guess the kitties had better lay low :mrgreen::mrgreen:

Yotes too LOL

It wouldn't worldly if it wasn't on hbc.

Good luck.

hunter1947
01-14-2011, 03:36 AM
My thoughts are why not wait for some fresh snow then head out to find fresh tracks then if you do find the tracks you know the cat is in the area..

Mr. Dean
01-14-2011, 09:46 AM
Any day sitting in the rain, waiting for critters,,,,, is better than ANY day spent @ work.

Man-up!
Quit your sniveling and GO!

Camp Cook
01-14-2011, 09:57 AM
I'd head out bring your snow shoes...

Mr. Dean
01-14-2011, 10:15 AM
Any day sitting in the rain, waiting for critters,,,,, is better than ANY day spent @ work.

Man-up!
Quit your sniveling and GO!

I stand (partially) corrected on this; you're on holidays.... So instead of hunting, you're actually thinking of STAYING at home,,, doing *womans work*???

The "Man-up" thing, still stands. :lol::lol::lol:

Steeleco
01-14-2011, 01:56 PM
Well I MANNED Up, but the day was a comedy of errors. Late last night Keoke got me to thinking, I've got commitments tonight and tomorrow, getting stuck would be life altering (or ending). So a back up plan to hit Sylvester road was formulated. I know it's not the best place to hunt, but the rain should make the ding bats stay in bed?

So 5:30 I'm off, first thing on the radio "Hwy 1 eastbound closed due to a rock slide" I sense an omen LOL So Sylvester it is.

So still in the dark I'm trying to reach Kenyon lake, I've seen Bob's in there before and I fairly certain there will be some snow. Not 5 km up that F'n road and I'm face to face with one big MOFO logging truck barreling down the hill towards me. No place to go but the ditch. That F150 isn't near as nimble as my Cherokee used to be. Minor inconvenience and a minor heart attack and I'm back on the road. Shit scared I'm going to have that happen again, these things happen in three's you know? Well I get to the "shooting pit" low and behold I find where the truck was loaded. OMG there's wood and equipment everywhere. So back down the hill to some of the other areas that are borderline allowable shooting area only to find lakes where the forest used to be.

I did find the mother-load of .223 brass that someone fired just yesterday, Honey I need a new gun to go with all this brass. LOL

So you see, some good did come out of the day.

deeks1989
01-14-2011, 03:47 PM
I am heading out in the rain tomorow with my gilrfriends little bro to see if I can put him on one. Good luck to you...hope to see some pictures!

Surrey Boy
01-14-2011, 06:46 PM
Good job on heading out.

Camp Cook
01-14-2011, 08:24 PM
I was just talking with a buddy today he told me where he has seen an area that has a family of bobcat living in it just can't shoot a gun there so I'm thinking of dusting off the bow...

Brew
01-15-2011, 06:32 PM
I went out today and only cut one set of tracks. Usually cut at least 3 in my spots. I am getting frustarted with this bobcat hunting. I have put in a lot of time and effort and still have not called one in.

deeks1989
01-15-2011, 06:33 PM
went out in the crappy weather and found a lot of sign. Headed to an area where I know of a nice tom bobcat has been hanging out. Not 5 minutes in we spotted him on a side hill. He ended up getting away...:-?
But will be back at it bright and early tomorow. Did find a nice little 4x4 whitey rack chasing one of the cats today.
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs1362.snc4/163405_10150396516900425_651515424_16615626_595297 7_n.jpg (http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=16615625&id=651515424)