PDA

View Full Version : Would you shoot it!

Buck TraX
01-13-2011, 02:37 PM
On the second to last day of reigion 2 any buck season just before dark slowly making the drive out my parter and i see a nice 3x3 with three doe's along a fence line of which one side is private property .I had my chance but hesitated thinking it might jump inside the fence line which it promptly did at that exact moment prettymuch putting an end to my unsuccessful first season. drove away with them just standing there 20 feet from the fence line:cry:

MuleyMadness
01-13-2011, 02:41 PM
BEFORE it jumped the fence? Yep

Afterwards, not a snowballs chance in hell. It's not worth it for what, $400 worth of meat.

gibblewabble
01-13-2011, 02:41 PM
I would have shot before it jumped not after, if you hit it you have to make every reasonable effort to get it so having to cross a fence is reasonable.

Buck TraX
01-13-2011, 02:44 PM
this was my first chance at a buck and didnt want to muck up the experince with co's and land owners .but you are saying you can tresspass to retrive game without permission

01-13-2011, 02:45 PM
Now how do you feel!!!
I'd a shot it too!

But you made the right choice, When in doubt dont shoot. Id a shot it but! If you do something wrong some times it is hard to take it back, but if you dont you have a long lasting memory of the one that got away.
And thats not to bad, i have a few

Buck TraX
01-13-2011, 02:46 PM
If someone drove up i would look like a total poacher?

01-13-2011, 02:49 PM
this was my first chance at a buck and didnt want to muck up the experince with co's and land owners .but you are saying you can tresspass to retrive game without permission

No! you cant trespass to collect game.
im not saying what you should do but.

If i shot a deer by a fence and it jumped it. I would have a quick look for houses or people if none. I would drag the animal back leaving the fence and or gates as you found them. Take the animal away from the property to clean it.

But you need permission legally

Sleep Robber
01-13-2011, 02:49 PM
Right side of the fence = "BangFlop"

Wrong side of the fence = "Pass"

cavebear
01-13-2011, 02:50 PM
pursuing wild game does not give you the right to tresspass! However if you wound it you are required by law to make every possible safe law bidding effort to retrieve.

So if you choose to shoot by a fence it could put you in a pickle.

If it happened by accident you could ask permission to retrieve ie go on the property, but again whole new bag of worms could be opened.

Buck TraX
01-13-2011, 02:53 PM
how about bang jump fence then flop now what!

gibblewabble
01-13-2011, 02:54 PM
No you wouldn't, with almost every animal I have shot there has been blood spray where the animal was standing when hit and any CO would recognize that sign as the point of impact. I have had to cross private property to retrieve an animal, luckily it was only a few minutes drive to their house and after I explained and the owner came out and saw whereI had shot it gave me the OK to cross his property. If owner said no or I couldn't contact them I would call the CO and talk to them. I would think that no one would want an animal dead or suffering on their property, remember private property has to be noted by signs or a maintained fence.

gibblewabble
01-13-2011, 02:57 PM
Ethically I would have a harder time with the animal dead or dying than crossing someones property line (I would think about the animal for the rest of my life but crossing a fence line would never pass through my mind again).

You dont have to be beside a fence to face this question animals bolt all the time, how far was the shot what rifle etc. I still would have taken the shot if it was a reasonable distance most animals I have put a round in have had a hard time getting up again let alone jumping a fence but it happens.

Buck TraX
01-13-2011, 02:58 PM
No you wouldn't, with almost every animal I have shot there has been blood spray where the animal was standing when hit and any CO would recognize that sign as the point of impact. I have had to cross private property to retrieve an animal, luckily it was only a few minutes drive to their house and after I explained and the owner came out and saw whereI had shot it gave me the OK to cross his property. If owner said no or I couldn't contact them I would call the CO and talk to them. I would think that no one would want an animal dead or suffering on their property, remember private property has to be noted by signs or a maintained fence.Dammit dident think blood newbies eh !

Buck TraX
01-13-2011, 03:08 PM
i had 30-06 the deer was 50 feet away i dont know if it would run far had a 180 grain i know to heavy for deer.

CanuckShooter
01-13-2011, 03:15 PM
i had 30-06 the deer was 50 feet away i dont know if it would run far had a 180 grain i know to heavy for deer.

I would have shot it without hesitation...338 win mag 225gr. Nosler Accubonds...that little deer would just bang-flop with no chance of it jumping the fence!!! Maybe you need to gun up if your going to hunt so close to private property???

bigben
01-13-2011, 03:21 PM
Well its all about ETHICS I myself would of taken er before not after ........remember all humans have a conscious and if it bugs you enough it will always follow you ..........Happy Hunting

TheDuckinator
01-13-2011, 03:59 PM
Id shoot it, BUT I wouldn't go for a boiler room id go for it where the skull and neck meet. That way its either bang flop or it gets away scott free

Buck TraX
01-13-2011, 04:03 PM
[quote=TheDuckinator;832624]Id shoot it, BUT I wouldn't go for a boiler room id go for it where the skull and neck meet. That way its either bang flop or it gets away scott free[/quote I will keep that in mind if this happens again i should of shot it

tomahawk
01-13-2011, 04:44 PM
You made the right choice.

Spy
01-13-2011, 05:44 PM
You made the right choice.

Im thinking the same thing! If it was meant to be it would have happened! Better luck next season.:-D
Head & neck shots are not always Bang flop!

Marlin375
01-13-2011, 05:52 PM
I would also be slightly concerned with where you were taking the shot from...most of the roads around here with fenced private property at the right of way are no-shooting areas anyhow. If it is Maintained buy the Gov you have to get a certain distance from the center of the road.....usually putting you over the aforementioned fence.

I would get a little further out of town, where you can't hear the ice cream trucks and the dogs barking:mrgreen:.

Big Lew
01-13-2011, 05:55 PM
My thoughts as well.

Buck TraX
01-13-2011, 06:22 PM
it was legal to fire sige projectile at this location as far as i could tell buy lml special area hunting map 300m contour checked topo good to go

Buck TraX
01-13-2011, 06:25 PM
but i do see your point it was all of this that came to mind in the moment thats why its still out there ,he will be bigger next year.

adamgarbett
01-13-2011, 06:45 PM
Tuff call but at least its a hunting memory rather then a hunting oops

Jelvis
01-13-2011, 06:50 PM
JUST b4 dark? You were saying how close to dark was it?
Jel ( 3x3 ) what area was it a blacktail or mule ot whitetail?

troutseeker
01-13-2011, 06:55 PM
I would have shot it outside the fence too, but with my .45/70 and 460 grain bullets it would likely have been blown over the fence!:shock:

Jelvis
01-13-2011, 06:59 PM
Rancher would thank you for getting rid of a deer eating all his cattle's feed.
How close were you to a building, could you see one?
Jel ( question ) answer

500grhollowpoint
01-13-2011, 07:01 PM
Yup I would have shot it. As far as crossing the fence, to retrieve game, I would. Like someone else said before, cros, drag it out and you are good.

Buck TraX
01-13-2011, 07:21 PM
No building in sight light was good no huntin whities in 2 but bullet had i missed would have traveled across part of this land which i belive is not so legal

Jelvis
01-13-2011, 07:24 PM
Where you stopped to get a good look was the road straight or turning along the fence line?

Jelvis
01-13-2011, 07:27 PM
Was there No-Tresspassing signs?

Tron
01-13-2011, 07:45 PM
I read somewhere, and it left me under the impression that if you shoot game legally and it runs onto private land it was ok to retrieve it. Meaning making every effort to recover such game. But if asked to leave buy the land owner you had to leave.

I would shoot it before it jumped the fence.

Buck TraX
01-13-2011, 08:05 PM
Was there No-Tresspassing signs?
Yes there was signs around property

Buck TraX
01-13-2011, 08:07 PM
i guessin you know where this is?

Jelvis
01-13-2011, 08:27 PM
If there was signs then the farmer don't like anyone or trust them so you did the right thing by holding off even tho if you were on the ball you coulda shot if the shot wasn't down a road.
Jel .. you didn't need that deer ..

Buck TraX
01-13-2011, 08:33 PM
As i understand until last year old owner didnt mined now some ghey investors group bought it posted up signs, and that was that.

Ron.C
01-13-2011, 10:20 PM
Id shoot it, BUT I wouldn't go for a boiler room id go for it where the skull and neck meet. That way its either bang flop or it gets away scott free

or jumps the fence and runs into the private property with half it's jaw blown off. That's always good for future hunter/landowner relations.

BillyBull
01-13-2011, 10:45 PM
If you err on the side of caution then you have done the right thing. Darkness, roads, and private property are not good places to be shooting on and this could have ended real bad... as it is now... its easy for all those on the site to say they would have thumped it before it jumped but not knowing the angle of the deer and the road etc... they to may have hestitate thinking that the 180grain bullet going through the deer at 50ft would hit the doe or another vehicle coming along the road... then explain that away. If in doubt always err on the side of caution.

Jelvis
01-13-2011, 10:50 PM
Yah that's a heck of a good point BiilyBull, be sure and know what your doing before pulling the trigger, if you have doubt then hold up.

gameslayer
01-13-2011, 10:54 PM
You made the right call, I know it was your first chance at a buck, but that kind of headache just is not worth it, especially as a first experience. There is more to hunting than killing, anyone can do that, it is better to enjoy the moment and make it happen just the way you alway's pictured it, waiting, working for it makes the memories all that that much better. I hear somtimes karma has a way of working in your favour if you do what is right :wink:

Buck TraX
01-13-2011, 11:00 PM
Just would have been nice to get that first one.Are the black tails just more cagey than the rest saw a button buck at the begining of oct than none til the second to last day and on the dam road no less.

Buck TraX
01-13-2011, 11:03 PM
You made the right call, I know it was your first chance at a buck, but that kind of headache just is not worth it, especially as a first experience. There is more to hunting than killing, anyone can do that, it is better to enjoy the moment and make it happen just the way you alway's pictured it, waiting, working for it makes the memories all that that much better. I hear somtimes karma has a way of working in your favour if you do what is right :wink: Karma thats what my parnter said! Should have dumped that button!

Spy
01-13-2011, 11:48 PM
Karma thats what my parnter said! Should have dumped that button!

He will be bigger next season!:-D

hunter1947
01-14-2011, 03:21 AM
My thoughts are you went with you instincts and that is the right thing to do ,you made the right call..

.330 Dakota
01-14-2011, 07:49 AM

Head shot, no jump-no run-no retrieve, if it was that close---under 75 yards no problem

fearnodeer
01-14-2011, 08:02 AM
I agree right side of the fence shot with a gun.
Wrong side of the fence shot with a camera