PDA

View Full Version : Aug 15 for moose elk

white moose
01-13-2011, 12:36 PM
Did anybody hunt the northern rivers at this time last year. Any success? Would rather hunt the rut, but boys are involved in football and the ex doesn't really like to let them out of school. My main concern is trying to keep the meat cool. I guess you might have to find the nearest cooler in town. I assume water levels are better for boating.

CanuckShooter
01-13-2011, 12:41 PM
In august the rivers are at low levels.....your best bet is to take your meat directly to a butcher for processing, or eat it on the spot!!:mrgreen:

sneg
01-13-2011, 01:39 PM
I go hunting Aug 15 every year. river levels low. no major weather issues. access is easy anywhere you want . of course can be problematic if you use boat . typically weather up north is moderate. little cool in high elevations. we erect meat pole in shade or close to water. keep thermomemter on meat ,not to exceed 8 deg C. if gets warm we use deep freezer and generator.never had any meat spoilage . O yeah. Any moose bull and 3 pt elk is easier hunt.

Goliath
01-13-2011, 01:44 PM
In august the rivers are at low levels.....your best bet is to take your meat directly to a butcher for processing, or eat it on the spot!!:mrgreen:

Yes I agree, the water levels are low in August. Better off hunting sometime in late April or early May. There's a lot more water, no bugs, and your meat won't spoil.

fearnodeer
01-14-2011, 09:19 AM
Funny thing my buddy and i were talking about doing the same thing. I decided if we go to make a makeshift cooler out of 2" ridgid insulation attaced to plywood and use a window shaker air conditioner to keep it cool

meat eater
01-14-2011, 09:26 AM
i never boat hunted that country but i grew up there and we did good hunting the aug early season. i think it's always good if u can get your meat to the butcher especially for how warm its been getting nowadays.