PDA

View Full Version : Canal Flats ?

fearnodeer
01-12-2011, 08:13 AM
Its been 17 - 20 years since i've hunting in the area just woundering if anyone can give me an update on the area, We use to set up at Whiteswan lake, but one of the last times i was there they close a lot of the roads due to the guides wanting more area's to horseback only. Thanks for any advise was just thinking i'd like to go back on day.

budismyhorse
01-12-2011, 03:39 PM
Go nuts! There are a few road closed areas........but if you are willing to work, you'll be successfull in them.

And if you want to stick to the truck.....the vast majority is wide open to vehicles. Just not the Blackfoot or the Middle Fork.......everything else is go nuts country.

Jim Prawn
01-12-2011, 08:53 PM
I was just there this past season. We've been going every other year for about a decade now with varied success. Usually camp on the White River right at the bridge just past the North White rd. Lots of access close to there and some great camping spots. We have harvested a few bulls over the year's and one year took 4 six points for our group of 6 hunters, plus a couple of missed opportunities. The last couple of trips have been much less productive for Elk, although the mule deer population has been increasing steadily. This year we focussed on goats and shot 3 billies in our group of four, plus a couple of 4 pt mulies. Hunting pressure was low compared to previous years (we were there for the second week of the season), but I'm wondering if thats an indication of the numbers of elk in the area. We did see a six point on the main road on the way out, but none of us were sure enough that it was a legal sixth point to pull the trigger. We decided as a group that we would not be going back in the near future for Elk.
JP

Jim Prawn
01-12-2011, 08:56 PM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/Bull_river_resize.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=22277&size=big&cat=500)

Pete
01-12-2011, 09:04 PM
We set up on the Ravens Head about 5km up from the whiteswan. Mixed bag over the years.

GoatGuy
01-12-2011, 11:31 PM
I was just there this past season. We've been going every other year for about a decade now with varied success. Usually camp on the White River right at the bridge just past the North White rd. Lots of access close to there and some great camping spots. We have harvested a few bulls over the year's and one year took 4 six points for our group of 6 hunters, plus a couple of missed opportunities. The last couple of trips have been much less productive for Elk, although the mule deer population has been increasing steadily. This year we focussed on goats and shot 3 billies in our group of four, plus a couple of 4 pt mulies. Hunting pressure was low compared to previous years (we were there for the second week of the season), but I'm wondering if thats an indication of the numbers of elk in the area. We did see a six point on the main road on the way out, but none of us were sure enough that it was a legal sixth point to pull the trigger. We decided as a group that we would not be going back in the near future for Elk.
JP

Quietin the ek because of the wk opening and also the zone x gos down low.

bayou
01-13-2011, 05:56 AM
Quietin the ek because of the wk opening and also the zone x gos down low.
He said he was there the second week of the season, whats that got to do with the WK opening.

budismyhorse
01-13-2011, 09:12 AM

JP

doubt it............

I'm sure each area lost a few groups of hunters to the X zones around there.

Bayou, The west koots season resulted in many groups of LML'ers choosing to hang on to their vacation time and head to "gar for the opener. Lots of empty camps in the Elk Valley this year that were typically filled by coast boys.

wasn't as strong as I expected but you could tell something was different.

Kody94
01-13-2011, 09:35 AM
Bayou, The west koots season resulted in many groups of LML'ers choosing to hang on to their vacation time and head to "gar for the opener. Lots of empty camps in the Elk Valley this year that were typically filled by coast boys.

Not just LML'ers.....camps that were normally used by guys from Trail, etc, were also empty. Many WK boyz saved their vacation to hunt around home.

And a few EK'ers I know hunted only half-heartedly in September because they wanted to save their tag to fullfill a lifelong dream of hunting elk in the WK.

GoatGuy
01-14-2011, 10:01 PM
doubt it............

I'm sure each area lost a few groups of hunters to the X zones around there.

wasn't as strong as I expected but you could tell something was different.

Not just LML'ers.....camps that were normally used by guys from Trail, etc, were also empty. Many WK boyz saved their vacation to hunt around home.

And a few EK'ers I know hunted only half-heartedly in September because they wanted to save their tag to fullfill a lifelong dream of hunting elk in the WK.

Thanks fellas, that's all true - probably better coming from you.

Opening up opportunity like that is nice because it helps spread everybody out and lets people hunt in their backyards.

For the op, there's lots of elk in that part of the world, mule deer and wt's too.