PDA

View Full Version : Labs... Labs... and more Lab Question

blackford
01-11-2011, 11:50 PM
Ok guys, I am 99% sold on Labs but i want to make sure its the right dog for the family. I have a few questions that i wonder if i can have people answer honestly

1. Do Labs smell? ( alot of non lab owners keep telling me they stink)

2. Can i get labs to point at grouse? ( i noticed google had some pages on pointing labs. Is this next to impossible or is it just a little work)

3. I have tenants... Is my dog going to bark while i am at work regularly.. ( my tenants do shift work and sleep at different hours of the day

4. Indoor or outdoor... Can these dogs be outdoor dogs and not whine all the time or bark...( I am considering making it a indoor dog anyway)

5. How much physical exercise. I am looking at 45 min a day .. Is this enough

6 crate training... how long can they stay in a crate without having to come out?

7 What does it look like in the mornings.. am i going to have to bring a dog to take a leak and poop at 6 am?

Let me know you guys.. look forward to the answers... also if there is something i should know... its appreciated

GoatGuy
01-11-2011, 11:54 PM
Ok guys, I am 99% sold on Labs but i want to make sure its the right dog for the family. I have a few questions that i wonder if i can have people answer honestly

Yes, like a dog
2. Can i get labs to point at grouse? ( i noticed google had some pages on pointing labs. Is this next to impossible or is it just a little work)
Worked mine on quail and had her pointing but they are definitely flushers.
3. I have tenants... Is my dog going to bark while i am at work regularly.. ( my tenants do shift work and sleep at different hours of the day
Depends on your training.
4. Indoor or outdoor... Can these dogs be outdoor dogs and not whine all the time or bark...( I am considering making it a indoor dog anyway)
Yes
Hard to say, more the better, more time you spend, better dog you have
6 crate training... how long can they stay in a crate without having to come out?
Depends on how old they are. Easiest thing is to have a kennel outside for the dog while you're at work (I think this is where the questions are headed?)
7 What does it look like in the mornings.. am i going to have to bring a dog to take a leak and poop at 6 am?

Let me know you guys.. look forward to the answers... also if there is something i should know... its appreciated

Krico
01-12-2011, 12:06 AM
I'd agree with all GG said. I still want mine to bark when someone is at the door, or coming into the yard (especially if my kids are out there...) As for getting up at 6am, that depends on when you last let them out before bed. After growing out of the puppy stage mine have had no problem lasting 8-10 hours at night before going out in the morning. They are both turning 12 this year and still good to go all night.
Awesome dogs, great all around outdoor/family pets.

blackford
01-12-2011, 12:19 AM
Sorry. When I ask if they smell.... Is it worse than the average dog that size ?

Kasomor
01-12-2011, 01:42 AM
You've never had a dog before , right??

Lab's smell They also have an oily coat. Of course lab owners do not notice this :mrgreen:

I think you should get a cat

They don't smell...in fact are the cleanest animals around
They don't bark.
You don't have to take em out at 6 am.
Cat's don't disturb tenants
You don't have to crate train.
You don't have to exercise a cat.

Cat's require nothing from you except food, water and a litter box :-D

What you are asking is basic dog stuff all dogs do....they don't come pre-trained not to bark, not to whine, not to jump on the counter,..... it is a huge amount of work and commitment to have a pup that grows up into a dog that is not a pain in the butt.

Do you have friends with dogs who will let you babysit their dog for a couple of weeks? Beg, borrow or steal a friends dog and see if you can live with the commitment that comes with a dog for the next 12 to 15 years.s

Tripitaka
01-12-2011, 01:42 AM
Sorry. When I ask if they smell.... Is it worse than the average dog that size ?

It depends. Bedding, diet, environment etc all contribute so there are too many variables to give a conclusive answer.

I had a yellow lab that lived outside 24/7 and didn't smell at all, except when wet. I've seen other folks with indoor labs that stunk!

Labs are energetic dogs - 45mins exercise a day seems low to me.

Beware the labrador creed - "If it can be swallowed, it must be eaten!" Now I know that training will go a long way towards curbing this but they are a naturally greedy dog. Training them doesn't remove this, it just teaches them to overcome it most of the time. Without that training, a lot of labs will chew anything they can get their teeth into until about 4yrs old. :-D

Great with kids and as a family pet though, fantastic for retrieving but not as good as the GSP for pointing or the spaniel for flushing. A good all round dog though - phenominal in the water. If you live near a lake, some of the best exercise is to swim them (just throw a stick repeatededly) as it is better for their joints.

pnbrock
01-12-2011, 06:50 AM
i think you should adopt a uvic rabbit instead.

labguy
01-12-2011, 08:07 AM
I think Kasomor has given the best advice so far.

Stéphane
01-12-2011, 08:08 AM
. . .

They don't bark.

. . .

Not to mention that you can use them to wash your car. Wear long thick gloves, grab the cat but the the tummy. The cat will plant its claws in the glove giving you a solid grip. Soak in bucket, and wash vehicle. Make sure it doesn't turn around, otherwise you'll scratch the paint.

Back on topic, if anything like my friend's lab, easy to train.

blackford
01-12-2011, 08:30 AM
Lol. Ok boys.... While life is all about having fun, the reason why I asked these questions is to dispel the myths I hear. For example the whole dog stinking thing... I have heard all sorts of info on this. It's simple as asking lab owners lab questions.....

So the get a cat comment and a uvic bunny comment ... Lol... While it's funny....I am just trying to get as much info as I prior to deciding if I should get a dog or not. I want to be informed.

cavebear
01-12-2011, 08:38 AM
the labs that ive had are very social and if left alone do tend to bark alot or whine. Owning two sometimes takes care of this because they are not alone.

Smell yes they can stink with age, but regular brushing diet exercise and an occasional bath can help greatly.

Mornings depend alot on when you feed, and how old they are if you feed in the evening then a 5 or 6 am poop is likely

happy hunting :-D

Rob
01-12-2011, 08:45 AM
My lab is 6 mos. old and I dont think she stinks(2 me anyway:neutral:). She doesnt appear to be a barker,you can always get a bark collar if it is. Mine still sleeps in a crate at night. (this is is her place to go when she wants her own time as well, she doesnt mind it at all). As long as I stick to a feeding routine my dog will stick to a pooping routine. My lab now has a pretty calm temperment compared to my last lab. I think even when sticking to a specific breed like a labrador, each dog will have their own personality.

KodiakHntr
01-12-2011, 08:53 AM
Currently have two chocolates.....

No more so than any other dog of that size.

Maybe, if you have the time to train them to.

Maybe, if you don't have the time to train it.

Maybe, if you don't have the time to train it.

Not even close if you are going to be leaving it alone for hours on end and don't want all your shit chewed to pieces.

How long could you stay in one? If you could do it, so can a TRAINED dog.

Do you? If you do, so does your dog.

If you only have 45 minutes a day, you don't have enough time to train a lab (or any dog) to the standard you seem to want.

A lot of people see a well trained lab, and think they come out of the box that way.......A lot of people end up stuck with a dog that looks good, but doesn't listen worth a shit for the next 12 years......

Islandeer
01-12-2011, 08:53 AM
Lol. Ok boys.... While life is all about having fun, the reason why I asked these questions is to dispel the myths I hear. For example the whole dog stinking thing... I have heard all sorts of info on this. It's simple as asking lab owners lab questions.....

So the get a cat comment and a uvic bunny comment ... Lol... While it's funny....I am just trying to get as much info as I prior to deciding if I should get a dog or not. I want to be informed.

Well one thing you should know, this is important ....

Goldens stink, labs not so much.

labguy
01-12-2011, 08:57 AM

While some of the comments were a bit sarcastic:icon_frow, the last two paragraphs of Kasomors post deserve your attention.

All dogs are individuals. Some labs are prone to bark, others not. Some labs have a distinctive odor, some do not. They are all different.

Just so you don't have to go back, here are the last two paragraphs of Kasomors post. Very good advice here.

" What you are asking is basic dog stuff all dogs do....they don't come pre-trained not to bark, not to whine, not to jump on the counter,..... it is a huge amount of work and commitment to have a pup that grows up into a dog that is not a pain in the butt.

Do you have friends with dogs who will let you babysit their dog for a couple of weeks? Beg, borrow or steal a friends dog and see if you can live with the commitment that comes with a dog for the next 12 to 15 years.s"

Dogs deserve to be well cared for. Be completely honest with yourself that you are prepared to put the time, effort, energy and commitment into seeing that these needs are met before you bring home a cute, soft, furry, little puppy. Good luck.

blackford
01-12-2011, 09:09 AM
i guess 45 min is a understatement... I have to remember a monring walk / play and a night walk / play.

now that i revisit it i think its going to be more like a hour in the monrning and hour at night... I hope thats enough.. If not... I should probably wait til the kids are a little older...

greenhorn
01-12-2011, 09:19 AM
Congrats on your potential new family member!

Our family got our first dog about a year ago now, a beautiful lab/golden cross, and my advice is based on being the primary caretaker and trainer of our pup.

Smell: I feel the labs that smell are usually fed bad (cheap) food and not exercised enough. Good food has real ingredients, ones that the dogs can digest easily. Therefore, their waste doesn't smell bad and neither does their gas or breath. As far as a smelly coat, IMO it's mainly a food thing. I literally stick my face in my labs coat when we wrestle and I think he smells better than me. Outside exercise can also help work loose hair and stale dander out of their coat, which has seemed to help keep our dog stink free. Don't believe me - we've shampooed our dog once in a year and everyone we know remarks at how he just smells like fresh air.

Exercise: Our lab has an endless amount of energy and loves to run. I'd say 45 minutes is not enough. If you underexercise your dog you're likely to get more destructive behaviour/whining than if your dogs energy is exhausted. The days our dog does something stupid are the days that I cut our morning walk/run short. When he gets a good workout to start the day, he's usually stellar.

Whining/barking: Ours can be a bit whiny when left alone. He's a fomer SPCA case which may contribute to this. My advice on this is to correct him anytime he/she whines and never give in or let them back in the house because they whine. If you teach them that you'll give in, you're toast. I think our lab has barked 5 times in the last year, he just isn't a barker. If he's feeling territorial or threatened, he usually lets out a deep growl instead.

Outside dog?: As others have said, they can be outside dogs. But I'd be leary about leaving a dog outside in the winter without first working them up to it.

Pooping in the house: to avoid this, get them into a routine and stick to it.

Our lab had some real issues when we first got him. The secret to training him out of them was alot of exercise to tire him out and then being firm with him and not giving up if he didn't listen. The keys to training our lab were consistency, repetition and positive feedback when he got it right. After a year, I think ours listens pretty well, 1000% better than when we first got him, but there is still room for improvement.

Like others have said, the amount of work you put in dictates the potential of your dog.

I'm no expert but that's my advice as a beginner dog owner. Feel free to PM if you want to hear about any more specific issues that we dealt with...

Angus
01-12-2011, 10:04 AM
Congrats on your potential new family member!

Our family got our first dog about a year ago now, a beautiful lab/golden cross, and my advice is based on being the primary caretaker and trainer of our pup.

Smell: I feel the labs that smell are usually fed bad (cheap) food and not exercised enough. Good food has real ingredients, ones that the dogs can digest easily. Therefore, their waste doesn't smell bad and neither does their gas or breath. As far as a smelly coat, IMO it's mainly a food thing. I literally stick my face in my labs coat when we wrestle and I think he smells better than me. Outside exercise can also help work loose hair and stale dander out of their coat, which has seemed to help keep our dog stink free. Don't believe me - we've shampooed our dog once in a year and everyone we know remarks at how he just smells like fresh air.

Exercise: Our lab has an endless amount of energy and loves to run. I'd say 45 minutes is not enough. If you underexercise your dog you're likely to get more destructive behaviour/whining than if your dogs energy is exhausted. The days our dog does something stupid are the days that I cut our morning walk/run short. When he gets a good workout to start the day, he's usually stellar.

Whining/barking: Ours can be a bit whiny when left alone. He's a fomer SPCA case which may contribute to this. My advice on this is to correct him anytime he/she whines and never give in or let them back in the house because they whine. If you teach them that you'll give in, you're toast. I think our lab has barked 5 times in the last year, he just isn't a barker. If he's feeling territorial or threatened, he usually lets out a deep growl instead.

Outside dog?: As others have said, they can be outside dogs. But I'd be leary about leaving a dog outside in the winter without first working them up to it.

Pooping in the house: to avoid this, get them into a routine and stick to it.

Our lab had some real issues when we first got him. The secret to training him out of them was alot of exercise to tire him out and then being firm with him and not giving up if he didn't listen. The keys to training our lab were consistency, repetition and positive feedback when he got it right. After a year, I think ours listens pretty well, 1000% better than when we first got him, but there is still room for improvement.

Like others have said, the amount of work you put in dictates the potential of your dog.

I'm no expert but that's my advice as a beginner dog owner. Feel free to PM if you want to hear about any more specific issues that we dealt with...

That there is some good advice for a potential new owner.

One thing not mentioned yet is when you bring home that puppy, don't worry about the 6am wake up to take it outside, you'll need to be doing it every two hours (night and day) for the first week or two. They can't hold it much longer than that. And then depending on your pup, you will likely have to get them out once during the night time for the at least the next couple of weeks. Once they grow up a bit and you have them crate trained, then you'll be looking at the 6am wakeup.

In the first year, never turn your back on them. They're like a three year old with scissors!

luckofthedraw
01-12-2011, 10:19 AM
I also am strongly considering getting a lab this spring, and have enjoyed the info on this post.

-what is the best time of year to get a dog? (spring I believe is good to train as an outside dog)
-what is an approx monthly cost of a dog?

Lots'oLabs
01-12-2011, 11:16 AM
[quote=blackford;831250]Ok guys, I am 99% sold on Labs but i want to make sure its the right dog for the family. I have a few questions that i wonder if i can have people answer honestly

Congratulations on making a wise choice in breeds:-D

We have 4. Smell? What smell? I'm a pretty fussy housekeeper so I spend a lot of time vacuuming, washing dog beds & towels, and open doors & windows every chance I get. If you're concerned about smell ask your friends to tell you honestly when they come into your home if they smell dog. If they do and it's offensive, ask them to leave.

I have 1 that does.

Every dog has a different personality and a different comfort zone. It would help to be aware of the sire and dam's personality's. I also think it has a lot to do with how you treat them when you bring them home.

Fine either way, but ditto to above.

Depends on what you're doing for 45 min. Labs also like to be in contact with you even after the exercise stops. They're very social.

Depends on their age and how good a job you do of crate training.

You train them to get up when you get up. When they are puppies you have to expect to to take them out regularly.

Look back on previous posts there have been lots of disscussions on this topic with some great responses. Good Luck and choose your pup wisely.

Deb

01-12-2011, 11:51 AM
That there is some good advice for a potential new owner.

One thing not mentioned yet is when you bring home that puppy, don't worry about the 6am wake up to take it outside, you'll need to be doing it every two hours (night and day) for the first week or two. They can't hold it much longer than that. And then depending on your pup, you will likely have to get them out once during the night time for the at least the next couple of weeks. Once they grow up a bit and you have them crate trained, then you'll be looking at the 6am wakeup.

In the first year, never turn your back on them. They're like a three year old with scissors!

This is most definatly true. Especiallly the second bit. coats and shoes OUT OF REACH!

Always take your pooch for a pee or poo right after feeding. And id say pee every hour not too. You will get both on your floor.

But they learn this fast, only a couple weeks if you do your part. For the peeing bit. The chewing your gear bit may take longer :mrgreen:

luckofthedraw
01-12-2011, 01:35 PM
Look back on previous posts there have been lots of disscussions on this topic with some great responses. Good Luck and choose your pup wisely.

Deb[/quote]

How do you suggest choosing your pup wisely?

Lots'oLabs
01-12-2011, 02:12 PM

Deb

How do you suggest choosing your pup wisely?[/quote]

Sorry to hijack your thread Blackford. The questions from luckofthedraw may be of interest to you.

Again I refer to previous posts. There have been some good ones and some that are filled with strong opinions.

Once you've chosen the breed you want then you'll need to choose your breeder. Depending upon what you want to do with the dog, you'll need to consider whether the purpose of the litter was for family/pet or hunting or competitive. Choose according to what you want to do with the dog.

Regardless of what you want to do with the dog, it's important, IMO, to choose from a sire and dam that have had full breeding clearances. Hips, elbows, Cerf, EIC, CNM, and now more recently with Labs, IRD (Inherited Retinal Dysplasia). In your last post you asked about monthly costs. Obviously you will have the usual food costs. Your vet bills will be determined by the health of the pup. If you choose wisely, you should be able to get a strong healthy dog and often not for a whole lot of extra money.

There are some people who check into this website regularly who are aware of upcoming litters. As we know of these we will often endorse them by offering our positive experience with the breeder and the sire or dam. Find a breeder whose ethics meet your own.

This is not a bad place to sart looking for feedback.

Just as a side note, I think that often the best dogs come from ethical breeders who planned the litter because they are keeping one of the pups for themselves.
Deb

greenhorn
01-12-2011, 02:35 PM

Deb

How do you suggest choosing your pup wisely?[/quote]

Never bought a pure-bred myself.

But:
If you're looking for a dog that will basically be a family pet, I would also consider the SPCA. There are alot of animals there that seriously need a good home and a second chance. Depending on the age/history of the dog, you may be inheriting some behaviour problems. IMO opinion behaviour issues scare too many people off because they require work to fix.

On the other hand, we have many friends/relatives who purchased pure bred dogs thinking that they're somehow born perfect..... IMO our SPCA "problem dog" is better behaved than every darn one of them. When it comes to behaviour I think the owner is way more important than who the dog's parents are.

Another opinion I here all the time for buying a pure bred is regarding health: I'm not sure if it is a common opinion, but alot of people I know think that a dog that has papers is somehow less susceptible to health issues than a heinz 57 or a dog that may be a mix of two pure breds. Again, not an expert on breeding, but my observation of pure breds that have been in my life is that they have just as much if not more health issues.

Sorry if it comes across like I'm anti-pure-bred.... I'm not. I'm not anti-breeder either.

I think we went SPCA because people we know people that have had real nightmares with pure-breds. One couple we know in particular was told that they can't let their dog run or jump for its first year of life! The reason they were given is that the dog is too big to run and jump..... maybe I'm wrong but it just seemed like bollox to me. The same dog has had health issues since the day they brought it home...

pappy
01-12-2011, 02:40 PM
Have patience with training, and don't overtrain for too long as they have smaller attention spans when they are young. I waited about 6 months before I started. I would throw a stuffed bird with grouse feathers on the side of the road and shoot towards it with a shotgun and then let her go explore what was happening. Its really cool to see a dog instinctively start to do what they are bred for. I got lucky to have a dog that is so eager to hunt, although I still needed to train and guide her along the way. The training never stops as its always fun to see her work. My wife likes to come along and shoot also, when my son gets old enough he will be shooting too. It is a good way to spend time as a family.

luckofthedraw
01-12-2011, 02:44 PM
thanks, I am sorry as well Blackford. Being fairly new to this, I had no idea on the edicate of "highjacking" someones thread. I will try to avoid that in the future.

blackford
01-12-2011, 03:38 PM
No worries at all man. I figured we have a wealth of knowledge here that we can tap into.

The more info the better

Lots'oLabs
01-12-2011, 03:58 PM
How do you suggest choosing your pup wisely?

But:
If you're looking for a dog that will basically be a family pet, I would also consider the SPCA. Not a bad idea at all as long as you are prepared to accept the possibility of any behavorial or health challenges.There are alot of animals there that seriously need a good home and a second chance. Depending on the age/history of the dog, you may be inheriting some behaviour problems. IMO opinion behaviour issues scare too many people off because they require work to fix. All good points and very true.

On the other hand, we have many friends/relatives who purchased pure bred dogs thinking that they're somehow born perfect..... IMO our SPCA "problem dog" is better behaved than every darn one of them. When it comes to behaviour I think the owner is way more important than who the dog's parents are.Actually it's the sire, the dam, the breeder AND the owner and their ability to effectively train.

Another opinion I here all the time for buying a pure bred is regarding health: I'm not sure if it is a common opinion, but alot of people I know think that a dog that has papers is somehow less susceptible to health issues than a heinz 57 or a dog that may be a mix of two pure breds. It's not about having papers or being registered. Choosing a healthy dog is about ensuring that the breeder is willing to step up to the plate and prove that neither the dam or the sire have any known genetic diseases that will compromise the health of the litter of pups. How could this possibly be a bad thing?? Even heinz 57's can have health clearances. Again, not an expert on breeding, but my observation of pure breds that have been in my life is that they have just as much if not more health issues.
I repeat......health clearances have nothing to do with being purebreed dogs.

Sorry if it comes across like I'm anti-pure-bred.... I'm not. I'm not anti-breeder either.
I think this statement is a good place for everyone to start a thought process. You're right....it doesn't matter to everyone whether the dog is mixed or pure, but we all should demand that the breeder produce healthy puppies and give proof . Without proof, the puppy buyers are potentially getting less that perfectly healthy pups, and then going on to breed them and produce unhealthy dogs. Without clearances the breeders are just people who breed for $$ and that's not very ethical in my book.

I think we went SPCA because people we know people that have had real nightmares with pure-breds. One couple we know in particular was told that they can't let their dog run or jump for its first year of life! The reason they were given is that the dog is too big to run and jump..... maybe I'm wrong but it just seemed like bollox to me. The same dog has had health issues since the day they brought it home

I can't respond to this except to ask the obvious question........Did they ask to see the health clearances of the sire and the dam before they put their money on the table?

That's exactly my point in saying "choose carefully".

Deb
PS...don't you love snow days???:)[/quote]

Lots'oLabs
01-12-2011, 04:02 PM
Have patience with training, and don't overtrain for too long as they have smaller attention spans when they are young. I waited about 6 months before I started. I would throw a stuffed bird with grouse feathers on the side of the road and shoot towards it with a shotgun and then let her go explore what was happening. Its really cool to see a dog instinctively start to do what they are bred for. I got lucky to have a dog that is so eager to hunt, although I still needed to train and guide her along the way. The training never stops as its always fun to see her work. My wife likes to come along and shoot also, when my son gets old enough he will be shooting too. It is a good way to spend time as a family.
Training begins the moment they come home at 7 weeks. Crate training, housetraining and for us, field training (most hunting/field dogs get pigeons or grouse wings while still with the breeder)

Pappy's right...only short training seessions at a time.

Lots'oLabs
01-12-2011, 04:10 PM
I took this off the Canadian Hunting Dogs Forum
It's just one of the examples of what can happen when we don't demand that our breeders complete all appropriate breeding clearances.
Centro Nuclear Myopothy is a very nasty genetic disease.

CNM Video (Warning very graphic)

Hey all,

I am sure most of you have seen this video by now but for those of you that have not I have decided to post a link to it here....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RY1DWQqoac0 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RY1DWQqoac0)

This is a direct quote from Marilyn Fender, CNM Project Global Communications Coordinator

Subject: Movie of an Affected CNM Pup

If you have not seen this movie of a CNM affected pup, please look.
It will show you why we need to avoid a CNM affected pup ever happening again.
Thank you to the person who put it on youtube.

With knowledgeable and careful breeding we can avoid this.
A pup will go to a new owner at seven to eight weeks of age and little or no symptoms will show.
Then by three to five months what the youtube link shows will happen.

I talk weekly to people globally who find themselves in this situation. It is very tragic for the family as well as the pup who has all the instincts of a normal Labrador and does not know why its body will not work.

RoscoeP
01-12-2011, 04:35 PM
More so when they are wet, I had two and loved them very much. Only time mine ever pointed was at a hidden cat in a ditch. Great with kids.:-D

greenhorn
01-12-2011, 04:48 PM

But:
If you're looking for a dog that will basically be a family pet, I would also consider the SPCA. Not a bad idea at all as long as you are prepared to accept the possibility of any behavorial or health challenges.There are alot of animals there that seriously need a good home and a second chance. Depending on the age/history of the dog, you may be inheriting some behaviour problems. IMO opinion behaviour issues scare too many people off because they require work to fix. All good points and very true.

On the other hand, we have many friends/relatives who purchased pure bred dogs thinking that they're somehow born perfect..... IMO our SPCA "problem dog" is better behaved than every darn one of them. When it comes to behaviour I think the owner is way more important than who the dog's parents are.Actually it's the sire, the dam, the breeder AND the owner and their ability to effectively train.

Another opinion I here all the time for buying a pure bred is regarding health: I'm not sure if it is a common opinion, but alot of people I know think that a dog that has papers is somehow less susceptible to health issues than a heinz 57 or a dog that may be a mix of two pure breds. It's not about having papers or being registered. Choosing a healthy dog is about ensuring that the breeder is willing to step up to the plate and prove that neither the dam or the sire have any known genetic diseases that will compromise the health of the litter of pups. How could this possibly be a bad thing?? Even heinz 57's can have health clearances. Again, not an expert on breeding, but my observation of pure breds that have been in my life is that they have just as much if not more health issues.
I repeat......health clearances have nothing to do with being purebreed dogs.

I think this statement is a good place for everyone to start a thought process. You're right....it doesn't matter to everyone whether the dog is mixed or pure, but we all should demand that the breeder produce healthy puppies and give proof . Without proof, the puppy buyers are potentially getting less that perfectly healthy pups, and then going on to breed them and produce unhealthy dogs. Without clearances the breeders are just people who breed for $$ and that's not very ethical in my book.

I think we went SPCA because people we know people that have had real nightmares with pure-breds. One couple we know in particular was told that they can't let their dog run or jump for its first year of life! The reason they were given is that the dog is too big to run and jump..... maybe I'm wrong but it just seemed like bollox to me. The same dog has had health issues since the day they brought it home

I can't respond to this except to ask the obvious question........Did they ask to see the health clearances of the sire and the dam before they put their money on the table?

That's exactly my point in saying "choose carefully".

Deb
PS...don't you love snow days???:)[/quote]

Hey Lots'olabs

Thanks for augmenting/commenting on what was posted. Great to hear from someone who is knowledgeable about proper breeding.

To answer your question - the folks with the unhealthy dog didn't ask for papers or health clearances. I think they just decided on a breed, fell in love with the dogs, and assumed that because it was from a breeder that they'd probably be ok. I think, like most folks, they read a bit about the breed and assumed that their dog would mirror what they read. They're slowly finding out that without training and proper exercise their "quiet, gentle and loving" breed will act like a tyrant :mrgreen:

Thanks again!

Lots'oLabs
01-12-2011, 05:19 PM
Thanks, I'm blushing.
I'm not very knowlegeable but I am surrounded by people who are!

brock77
01-12-2011, 05:31 PM

Here is my yellow lab (rossco) at 12 weeks...he is now 1 year on new years...rosco is the short hair lab ....sheds like crazy....
when he was a pup it was like having a baby in the house all over again up evey three hours to let him out..but doing this help with the house training.....he doesnt have a smell that i notice, but he is kept very clean...
I took him out to get my trail cam , and on the way he stoped and pointed at white tail doe..i didn't even see her, nor did i train him to do so..he barks when someone comes to the door, but thats great for me .....
He is an indoor/outdoor dog, but mostly indoor,,,great with the kids and other dogs....allways wants to play...my son wrestels with all the time...rossco loves it....in the fall he'll be comeing with me on my solo hunts....
Oh ya.... after taking him shed hunting these were is new CHEW toys...he took a three point mule deer shed down to the main beam..then down to nothing...absolutely loves them....great dog for the family and a hunting partner very loyal...
.http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/HPIM1702.JPG

gmcgilli66
01-13-2011, 05:49 PM
You've never had a dog before , right??

Lab's smell They also have an oily coat. Of course lab owners do not notice this :mrgreen:

They don't bark.

What you are asking is basic dog stuff all dogs do....they don't come pre-trained not to bark, not to whine, not to jump on the counter,..... it is a huge amount of work and commitment to have a pup that grows up into a dog that is not a pain in the butt.

Do you have friends with dogs who will let you babysit their dog for a couple of weeks? Beg, borrow or steal a friends dog and see if you can live with the commitment that comes with a dog for the next 12 to 15 years.s

This is the right time to ask these questions.
I agree with Kasomor.
A dog is not an "accessory".
Springers, Britts, Cocker Spaniels, a Schnoodle and Labs have shared our roof.
We've had dogs in our family environment for the past 40 years. Dogs have helped raise both our sons, fostering responsibility, compassion, companionship and unconditional love.
A pup needs training, exercise and companionship daily. So do adult dogs. The pounds and shelters are full of the "best dogs in the world" who didn't get what they needed to thrive. Think about your motivation and how you plan on interacting with your dog. Most are with you for 10 to 16 years. What do you do after the fun and newness wears off?
Too many languish on a chain or in a kennel in the back yard 'cause everyone's too busy. They become problem dogs in a hurry.

They are pack animals that need to be well socialized and in contact with their "pack" as much as possible.
We were fortunate that my wife worked out of the home so she was there to let him out, and socialize him. Labs shed heavily twice a year. Will you leave the dog when traveling? Can he come with you? Vet and grooming costs a lot! Lots of daily exercise is a daily requirement.
All that said, I cannot envision my life without a dog in it. They are the soft spot between the rock and a hard place that we sometimes find ourselves in.
One look into my old guy's eyes (13 yrs. +)and all is well.
George
As a decent primer, watch the "dog whisperer" on TV. Not all will agree with his methods but it will give you a good idea of what problems will come up.

anypointwilldo
01-13-2011, 07:34 PM
i have a lab and he is the best dog iv ever owned!they are easy to train and you can get them to do anything if you put in the time!you can have them outside in cold snowy weather for houres and they wont complain.the only con i would say is the hair shed is brutal and seems to be all year round.also they are awsome with kids,i have two young terrors and they are all over him and he doesnt mind one bit,where other dogs have nipped at my kids cause they jump on them!

.300 R.U.M. Grizzly
01-14-2011, 09:00 PM
I take my 5 month old for a two hour walk up steep hills and when we come back in the house, she is still very hyper! I'm not sure if this is like most labs, but it is with mine. She doesn't smell, but she is young yet. Mine does bark when she is unsure of something or when someone comes to my ranch. I don't regret having a lab at all, but they can get into mischief!

Heads Up Kennels
01-15-2011, 04:23 PM
Well one thing you should know, this is important ....

Goldens stink, labs not so much.

Whoa bro!!! Any dog stinks if it isn't taken care of, eats crappy food and rolls in smelly stuff. We live with 6 goldens in our house and as a number of the people on this list can attest to - our house doesn't stink - neither do our dogs! I don't like generalizing - no dog should stink if the management is correct. i.e. sanitation and nutrition.

Cheers

Anne

Lillypuff
01-15-2011, 04:43 PM
They are a wonderful breed and I would own no other. Marley and me is a great book and the movie isn't bad either. Watch or read it and be prepared.

DeerBelly
01-20-2011, 11:00 PM
Having owned and trained pointing dogs since 1986 I can tell you that pointing is a genetic trait.If you want a lab to point buy a pointing lab.I have had pointers that wouldn't point.Over the years I've seen a number of people that bought dogs they were told would point such as Airedales for example and none of them did.I've been involved with hunting Labs quite a bit and found them to be friendly,energetic,hard working and very good family dogs.Easy to train.In the top 100 smartest dog breeds they are in the top ten.They are used as dogs for the blind which says alot.The labs my family owned were big shedders.Shedding is made worse by artificial light so outside living will help.You can tell alot about how a puppy will act when he gets older.Here are a few examples of puppy picking.If you are looking at a litter and one pup is noticeably barking alot then he will always be a barker .When choosing pointer pups if one is chasing the other pups ,he will always be a chaser which isn't good for field trials or hunting in pairs.Their genetic traits shine thru right from the start.There are good and bad dogs in every breed.Pick some good parents and don't worry about the price too much cuz vet bills and food will soon be more.Good Luck .