PDA

View Full Version : Acrylic Single Reed Calls

NitwiT
01-11-2011, 07:31 PM
As I'm sure most of the advice will be, buy a cheap call and learn to call first. All well and good, I've been quacking away on a cheap buck gardner (Free from delta waterfowl - bless their hearts) for nearly two full seasons. As time progresses, and I discover that the chuckling and quiet quackin of this call lacks, tho its highball is nice clear and load, I start ponderering what people use, and whats available on the market.

Is there a valid point to justify a $100+ call? All the research I've done hasn't really given me a clear answer, just that most calls seem to work, from the $25 buck gardners to the $110 zink power hens.

If there is no justification for the acrylics, then can someone point me to a nice close to medium range call?

Any opinion counts!

Mark

master-of-commander
01-11-2011, 08:20 PM
try primos single reed....acrylic DMM and or RNT113

zaconb
01-11-2011, 09:46 PM
I can't call worth... but I love the way my gaston and RNT acrylic calls look around my neck LOL!! A go to call if the $120.00+ calls freeze up, jam up, or have to many donuts blown through them are the Quack head calls, inexpensive and sound great! I always have several in my bag.

wos
01-11-2011, 10:39 PM
Different situations require different calls. Delta fore shore = big decoy spreads and loud single reed calls. Pins and widgeons in the corn fields love the whistles (The best late season weapon even for weary mallards IMO) A soft blowing double read call is necessary for hunting the sloughs with twenty or thirty decoys when the fields are frozen up. Early season birds are pretty dumb use what you have It will probably work. Buying one expensive call wont bring birds into the decoys in all situations. I have had many calls over the past 30 years and you can find good calls for little money and expensive calls that are just O.K but the most important thing is listening to what ducks actually sound like and learn to mimic them. I say spend $200 on 20 to 40 dollar calls and don't be afraid to take them apart and experiment with tuning and such. You will have a good selection of calls for the right situation for a reasonable investment!

duxngeez
01-11-2011, 10:53 PM
Just buy a Primos Over/Under (quiet double reed with a whistle on the top). They are 24.99 at Wholesale Sports. Great quack, good chuckle and a decent high ball. The whistle does the Widgeon, Pintail and Mallard drake calls.

NitwiT
01-12-2011, 09:02 AM
so far, still no reason for the acrylic calls :D, funny enough, I'm gonna go get me that double nasty I've been eyeballing for a while.

Is there anyplace one can go to try out calls?

Angus
01-12-2011, 10:07 AM
Is there anyplace one can go to try out calls?

Go to the next Canucks game when the Anaheim Ducks are in town :mrgreen:

NitwiT
01-12-2011, 11:59 AM
ahaha, that would be great!

wizzum-lvr
01-12-2011, 12:13 PM
try primos single reed....acrylic DMM and or RNT113

X2.....Ditto

Gunner
01-12-2011, 02:22 PM
I've sold and used most calls that have been available over the last 30 years starting with Olts and moving up from there.All of them pulled birds.A number of years ago,I switched to acrylics,tried a few and settled on the Foiles Dead Meat Mallard single reed for hail calls,and the double reed model for finishing.I've been more than happy with them. The only other call I use is a Grover Knoll acrylic double reed,made in Arkansas,It really talks when they can't quite make up their minds! Gunner

longshot
01-12-2011, 09:47 PM
Now, I'm by far no expert on duck calling by any sorts as Im only 17. I am more of a true goose caller, and gaining honker skill as the day progresses. My dad is a real good duck caller and has taught me many things.

First of all your question of acryllic calls. NO they are not necessary, but if you feel like you are the hard core to the bone duck hunter and has the big $$ to spend on an acryllic, then by all means buy the fancy stuff!! But as far as PERFORMANCE goes, a wood/plastic call will land you ducks just as well if not better sometimes.

There is no "BEST ALL AROUND CALL", but many good calls for certain situations. Think about the area you hunt. What tone do you need??? Calls are made from low-tone/low-volume/real-raspy/bottom-end-duck... to a soft-tone/medium-volume/low-rasp/mid-range... to high-pitch/high-volume/agressivley-raspy/high-baller!!

When you buy a bottom end call, dont expect to hit loud/high notes, the call is only made to hit bottom end notes. Same thing when you buy a high end call, you wont hit those dirty bottom end notes.

Right now I run a Quackhead Timber SingleReed, had it for 3 years. Pure bottom end duck, with low-medium volume, really raspy, and NO capability to hit a high ball (which is not needed for me anyway). Its a really good call for $25, and suits a hunting situation where you need a bottom end quiet duck!!

Call material:
Acryllic is very expensive, produces a sharp distinct tone, which is not always wanted, especially in bottom end calls. Acryllic is much usefull in calls that really reach out, for example, the RNT DAISY CUTTER. An agressive raspy call to really reach out to those high flyers.

Wood is also a inexpensive choice, often sounds better than polycarbonate, and produces a much softer and mellower, and usually deeper tone than acryllic, which is oftenly favoured on a medium/low end call, as that sharp loud crackle is NOT needed.

Polycarbonate is cheap all around material used for all calls to make them affordable, but will still land you birds on the ground.

The trick is to sound like the ducks in your area. If they aren't loud, you want a quiet call. If they dont "talk" alot, you want a bottom end ducky sound call. Same thing if the ducks in your area scream at eachother with highballs and quack like its going out of style!

You say you want a good "medium call". For under $40, I'd recommend the Buck Gardner Double Nasty II (polycarb), RNT Quackhead Timber (polycarb). For $56.24 at cabelas until february 15th (usually $74.99), you can get the RNT Short Barrel (Cocobola Wood), a medium volume, medium rasp, low-medium pitch call that makes pure bottom end duck sounds.

Just my .02

Longshot jr.

NitwiT
01-12-2011, 09:53 PM
ok, thats the kind of info I was looking for, thanks to all for your inputs, think I've made up my mind!

Mark

Kudu
01-12-2011, 10:42 PM
My $2 lips don't warrant a $100 call...........:icon_frow

Gunner
01-12-2011, 10:56 PM
There's plenty of acrylic calls that will pull lots of ducky low tones.Thats what double reeds are for.Same with goose calls,acrylics can give you low moans and quiet clucks as well as long range comeback calls,IF you know how to use them.There is a learning curve with acrylic calls you can't just pick them up and blow them like you can an off the shelf call.For those who put in the effort to learn,acrylics can do a lot of things that other calls can't,especially goose calls. Gunner

sneg
01-13-2011, 05:45 PM
I have converted to acrylic ,use couple of Foilies Dead meat. Won't go back to any al cheapo stuff.

NitwiT
01-13-2011, 05:57 PM
sneg, does it just sound better? nicer? just more fun to play with? look better around your neck? whats the deal?

longshot
01-13-2011, 06:08 PM
sneg, does it just sound better? nicer? just more fun to play with? look better around your neck? whats the deal?

Acryllic will probably always sound better than polycarbonate, as it is by far a better material, but if you are able to run a "GOOD QUALITY" (some plastic calls dont even sound like a duck...) polycarb call well, the ducks arent going to know the difference... One thing though is that them acryllic calls are sure works of art!!

Longshot jr.

f350ps
01-13-2011, 09:18 PM
Longshot, What's yer opinion on a wooden call, do they even come close to sounding like a duck? K

longshot
01-13-2011, 09:58 PM
Longshot, What's yer opinion on a wooden call, do they even come close to sounding like a duck? K

My dad loves wood calls! Generally you will get a better sound out of them than a plastic call as you have more range, rasp, and a deeper tone. Wood calls wont give you screaming highballs, but pure bottom-end duck. Just keep it warm in your pocket, and away from the salt water, as wood calls are delicate.

There are many types of wood availible, and all vary in density. The more dense the wood, the sharper and full the tone will be. The most popular type of wood and said to be "best sounding" wood is called Cocobola, a very dense south american wood.
The wood calls you see at walmart or canadian tire are JUNK!!! They sound more like a deer than a duck! :-? I'd say the best wood calls are made by RNT, in Arkansas, the duck hunting capital! They really know what they're doing when it comes to wood calls.

Wood is also not as expensive as acryllic, but usually more expensive than plastic, as most good quality wood calls run from $60-$80.

Longshot jr.

mattchu_19
01-13-2011, 10:06 PM
How come no one is talking about Bakelite and hard rubber

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f52/Crazy_Farmer/DSC00337.jpg

Crazy_Farmer
01-13-2011, 10:20 PM
Cause bakelite causes cancer:wink:

longshot
01-13-2011, 10:30 PM
Cause bakelite causes cancer:wink:

lol, I just google bakelite... its proper name is polyoxybenzylmethylenglycolanhydride. Try saying that 10 times fast. :wink: With a name like that, I BET IT GIVES YOU CANCER! :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

cheers, longshot jr.

f350ps
01-13-2011, 10:41 PM
lol, I just google bakelite... its proper name is polyoxybenzylmethylenglycolanhydride. Try saying that 10 times fast. :wink: With a name like that, I BET IT GIVES YOU CANCER! :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

cheers, longshot jr.
You didn't google anything for your first reply did ya? :wink: K

Dutch
01-16-2011, 08:06 PM
think we've been here before RNT daisy cutter, but go try them out ,I have 6 on my lanyard ,and a widgeon whistle...why I don't know I hate the little buggers..:evil::evil:

NitwiT
01-16-2011, 08:18 PM
hey dutch, when you say go try them out, where can I do this?

Dutch
01-17-2011, 02:21 PM
Well that can be a problem,I tried some of my fellow club members but the best result was at the Washington Sportsman fair in puyallup a few years ago.There were quite a few for sale as well as a calling clinic.They will also let you try them at Cabellas in Lacy but that is a fair distance.I guess the thing is if your gonna spend a 100 + you should at least try before you buy,anybody have any luck locally I haven't really asked.:confused:

Cariboo Game Calls
01-21-2011, 08:59 AM
Hi guys, very interesting forum! While I'm not a great caller, I have taken an interest in buying, selling and collecting game calls over the last 3-4 years since retiring. I have accumulated quite a few vintage calls as well as some newer custom acrylic and wood calls, some brand name items that are no longer made and a few dozen hand braided lanyards. I started out with the intent of just buying up a couple of calls that looked interesting and I ended up with well over 250. These calls range in price from about $10.00 to around $1100.00 for a very rare Francis J. Muehlstein "Natural Duck Call" with the original instruction sheet which was patent in 1932. Most of the vintage calls I have are pre 1970's. I figured it's about time to quit buying for a while and get a little more serious about selling a few so I just posted a new website advertising a handful of vintage calls which some of you might find interesting.

You can find it at: http://www.cariboogamecalls.com (http://www.cariboogamecalls.com/)

You can also check out many more of the calls l have for sale at the Kamloops Gun and Antique Show which is slated for April 31/11 and May 1/11.

NitwiT
01-21-2011, 09:00 AM
whats with no one telling jokes anymore!