PDA

View Full Version : Successful hunting methods

moose2
01-11-2011, 12:38 PM
What style of hunting has given you the greatest success.
Mine has been by walking by far.
Mike

BillyBull
01-11-2011, 12:43 PM
I would have to say Patience, along with walking/stalking/glassing/sitting.

bcbrez
01-11-2011, 01:05 PM
I do alot of scouting and walking around pre season but do most of my hunting from stands or blinds. Unless the wifes out with me then she sits and walk around and push to her.

Squamch
01-11-2011, 01:25 PM
Walking to our sitting spot, then while sitting at our sitting spot.

Drillbit
01-11-2011, 01:35 PM
Pushing Bush, so I guess walking.

warnniklz
01-11-2011, 01:36 PM
Mine has been walking in the bush... but for waterfowl it's definitely blind hunting.

Surrey Boy
01-11-2011, 01:52 PM
I really only walk, and then sit and glass while I take meal/sock change breaks. If I actually tried road hunting, or used a stand, or bait, the story might be different. I've also never had a successful stalk, so I'm really just a road hunter without the truck.

I do alot of scouting and walking around pre season but do most of my hunting from stands or blinds. Unless the wifes out with me then she sits and walk around and push to her.

I'm glad and proud for you both.

Steeleco
01-11-2011, 02:23 PM
All of the above, I can't recall how many times you spend a good part of the day walking and looking, only to shoot an animal on the drive out!!

Singleshotneeded
01-11-2011, 03:03 PM
A combination of driving/walking and then sitting in a stand once you've found a good spot, is my tactic.

nano
01-11-2011, 04:17 PM
Mostly walking, The only things I have killed while driving are grouse.

wizzum-lvr
01-11-2011, 04:35 PM
I'd say its 50-50 for me,between road hunting and walking. Their are areas I hunt where walking is a waste of time, and other areas where being in the truck guarantees I will see nothing.

Kody94
01-11-2011, 04:40 PM
Spotting and stalking mostly....whether it be walking then spotting, or driving then spotting (mostly the former though).

I can't be a judge of stand/blind hunting, since I have hardly ever done it. Just set up my first treestand last December! I expect to do more of it though...it can be very productive for deer.

fozzy
01-11-2011, 05:16 PM
For me it's a combination of sitting and still hunting. Getting to know an area and learn when and where the animals move is also key.

Fisher-Dude
01-11-2011, 05:27 PM
I just drive around until I see a book animal, then I hammer it. Works great, and I can sip double doubles, munch on timbits, warm my ass on the heated leather seats, and listen to satellite radio. Life's good. :-D

Ron.C
01-11-2011, 05:47 PM
Depends on the game and I only bowhunt or hunt with a muzzleloader so my shots have to be close

With elk, I have definetly been more successful moving, calling etc.

For Bear same thing. The more ground I cover, the more bear I see "and shoot".

With Whitetail and Blacktail, I have had the vast majority of my success sitting in a treestand.

And I've taken a couple animals driving to or from hunting areas :redface:

Jelvis
01-11-2011, 06:36 PM
I walk and still hunt like a m*****r f****r, don't try to follow the Jel-man you'll get lost and lonely, cold and tired lol...walkin and lookin shakin and bakin, shuckin and duckin, ziggin and zaggin, back and forth, up and down, east and west, north and south.
Jelly the mouth of the south ( Centrellias ) kamlooperzzz, we be jam mon ... don't call us we'll call you
Want to try following the Jelman through the region 3 mu's hah lol does Guy Co save yah money?
... Did the lil piggy cry wee wee all the way home?

swampthing
01-11-2011, 06:39 PM
My successes have been equal between hiking, road hunting and atving. That said, it depends on the species. You dont shoot a sheep or a goat rd hunting. I always feel guilty shooting an animal while rd hunting, it doesnt seem right, but I still do it. I am originally from Kamloops and used to love atv hunting there in the open sagebrush country. You can cover a lot of ground to spot deer and then ditch the quad and do a stalk. My most rewarding hunts are when I climb the mountain and have to backpack the animal out.

Jelvis
01-11-2011, 06:46 PM
I like hiking when hunting but have got deer and moose from the road while traveling along the fsr going to a spot. Dat waz ezeeee lol .. POW! BANG! KRAK! KaPow! WHAM! BOOM!

Surrey Boy
01-11-2011, 08:31 PM
I walk and still hunt like a m*****r f****r, don't try to follow the Jel-man you'll get lost and lonely, cold and tired lol...walkin and lookin shakin and bakin, shuckin and duckin, ziggin and zaggin, back and forth, up and down, east and west, north and south.
Jelly the mouth of the south ( Centrellias ) kamlooperzzz, we be jam mon ... don't call us we'll call you
Want to try following the Jelman through the region 3 mu's hah lol does Guy Co save yah money?
... Did the lil piggy cry all the way home?

A Jelvis hunt. I'll bring hounds and a camera.

GoatGuy
01-11-2011, 08:36 PM
try to save the hiking for when it's dark out, spend most of the day sitting and glassing.

Fisher-Dude
01-11-2011, 11:23 PM
try to save the hiking for when it's dark out.

You mean like you and Buttshot walking 25 km when the fuel pump shits the bed? :wink:

GoatGuy
01-11-2011, 11:26 PM
You mean like you and Buttshot walking 25 km when the fuel pump shits the bed? :wink:
Hey, we got a three legged three toed bear that day.

Luckily there were 20 beers in the truck or it would have made for a long walk out. Wish I had a tag for french mushroom pickers.

hunter1947
01-12-2011, 02:59 AM
For me it has been hard work for 80% of my animals they have come the hard way walking up many mountains to get them ,walk still hunting for me..

bridger
01-12-2011, 08:06 AM
moose and elk i usually hunt from horseback glassing until i see a bull then stalk on foot. sheep hunting = lots of walking and climbing. deer hunting mostly sitting or driving around.

markt308
01-12-2011, 03:34 PM
Ive shot animals all of those ways listed, but by far my best success is finding a good spot and parking my ass. it's pretty fun taking an animal when they have no clue your even there.

takla1
01-12-2011, 03:51 PM
spot and stock for me,aways try to find a high point overlooking openings that hold game,be there for first light and last,watch your wind approaching and game call where applicable

Big Pops
01-12-2011, 06:48 PM
I got my deer from driving although I have seen a crapload of does sitting at the top of a clear cut

Sleep Robber
01-13-2011, 10:31 AM
Still hunting is what has got me the majority of my 4 legged game. A few have been spotted and taken when driving my truck or quad, and a few have also been taken while hunkering down and glassing a certain area.

I consider the "sneak attack" to be the most rewarding by far.

CanuckShooter
01-13-2011, 11:44 AM
AND you can call them into range. The most important thing is to be flexible...if your usual isn't working then try something different.