PDA

View Full Version : Camo pattern choice

Big Pops
01-11-2011, 10:39 AM
Thought this would be helpful for people wanting to know what camo pattern people are using for hunting all around BC not just in one spot. Just post your 1:favorite pattern and 2:the jacket/pants that you use.
1: MossyOak Breakup Infinity
2: Browning XPO X-change Big Game jacket(MO Breakup infinity) with jeans for now but will get the pants to match jacket

pitbell
01-11-2011, 10:54 AM
Open Country Optifade is my camo of choice for pretty much every situation other than maybe tree stand hunting. I dig the Sitka Celsius or Jetstream jkt with 90% pant combo for mid to late season hunts.

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm51/bcandbeyond/Sitka%20Gear/FrancoisLk018-1.jpg

M.Dean
01-11-2011, 01:54 PM
If I have to Keep My Chat to a minimum, I refuse to answer this question! And, I'll have you know, I consider myself to be quite a authority on Camo Patterns of B.C.!!! My Camo Patterns are so good, I highly recommend not placing your Jacket on the ground, you'll spend the rest of the day shivering trying to find it!!!

BiG Boar
01-11-2011, 02:03 PM
If I have to Keep My Chat to a minimum, I refuse to answer this question! And, I'll have you know, I consider myself to be quite a authority on Camo Patterns of B.C.!!! My Camo Patterns are so good, I highly recommend not placing your Jacket on the ground, you'll spend the rest of the day shivering trying to find it!!!

lol. I would like you to start a thread on things you have set down and lost.

Big Pops
01-11-2011, 05:59 PM
K just thought this would help people who were deciding on a pattern and jackets/pants but I guess this won't work then.

swampthing
01-11-2011, 06:52 PM
I dont think camo is required to hunt with but I wear sitka optifade open country cause I think it looks cool. I have stalked just as close wearing jeans and a lumberjack shirt.

moosecaller
01-11-2011, 07:13 PM
I look at Wallyworld to see what they have left after the season and want to get rid of at 50-60% off and that's the pattern that works perfect for me.:-D

pitbell
01-11-2011, 09:35 PM
I have stalked just as close wearing jeans and a lumberjack shirt.

I hope this doesn't turn into one of those B.S threads wear people are going to try to convince themselves that camo has no advantage when hunting.:roll:

NitwiT
01-11-2011, 09:42 PM
it doesnt help while hunting, deer cant see past the glare in the headlights anyway..

for myself, duck hunting is advantage max 3 in whatever is cheapest
and for deer, some tree pattern in whatever is cheapest (will adjust this one day to get good gear, but hey)

bc_buckshot
01-12-2011, 08:17 AM
Camo is my favorite colour

ThinAir
01-12-2011, 08:26 AM
I'm a big fan of Sitka Optifade.

I've noticed their coming out with some merino stuff now....crap, I need that too:mrgreen:

saskbooknut
01-12-2011, 09:51 AM
Mossy Oak seriously faded.
If you ever watched other hunters, in the binocs at dawn or dusk, you will see that almost all camo patterns are too dark.
Having said that, Camo is not nearly so important as wind direction and slow, slow movement. We got our game years ago with green or red check wool coats.

Big Pops
01-12-2011, 03:24 PM
Yeah many are way too dark. I made sure to get a lighter one because I didn't want to be a big blotch. Here's the link for mine: http://www.browning.com/products/catalog/clothing/detail.asp?value=A001&cat_id=304&type_id=693&content=xpo%99-big-game-x-change-jacket-outdoor-hunting-and-shooting-clothing
also wondering if that jacket Will be warm enough, I'm planning on doing alot of sitting and hiking but also with abit of road hunting. I haven't worn it yet and it's still got the tags on. Thanks

RoscoeP
01-12-2011, 04:46 PM
Mine is mostly Mossy Oak. One thing I did notice this year on my mainland hunt where there were alot of hunters, nobody wears blaze orange.

CRS
01-12-2011, 08:18 PM
Yeah many are way too dark. I made sure to get a lighter one because I didn't want to be a big blotch. Here's the link for mine: http://www.browning.com/products/catalog/clothing/detail.asp?value=A001&cat_id=304&type_id=693&content=xpo%99-big-game-x-change-jacket-outdoor-hunting-and-shooting-clothing
also wondering if that jacket Will be warm enough, I'm planning on doing alot of sitting and hiking but also with abit of road hunting. I haven't worn it yet and it's still got the tags on. Thanks
Layering is the key! Stanfield grey underneath. Warm wet or dry. Throw it in the pack, if it gets wet, no biggie, 5 min hiking with it on and you're warm again.

swampthing
01-12-2011, 10:40 PM
Merino sitka gear! I still havnt replaced all my mountain mimickry with the open country optifade yet. It never stops. As far as needing camo, I really dont think you do, at least for a rifle hunter. I feel this way because I always try to stalk an animal by using cover, therefore, the animal cant see my camo. There are plenty of times where you have to approach in plain sight but I always felt not being seen moving was the key here. I believe a persons face gives him away more than anything, when up close and personal. That said, I still wear my sitka gear all the time.

dutchie
01-13-2011, 12:24 AM
Gore's optifade is designed to make you invisible to the animal. It works well and that is why it is expencive.

The only reason you have camo is to break up your solid color. Plaid is the most basic camo you can buy.Think of all of the red and black plad shirts you see in old school hunting pictures.

Predator camo is the best for breaking up your sillohette... so for bow hunting I like to use that.

When I bear hunt I seldom ever touch my camo. Hunting in the fall, I am wearing either plaid or one of my camo jackets.

There is no best camo, because if it fits then it is pretty damn good!

Dutchie

Centerfire
01-13-2011, 12:58 AM
ASAT camo.

Big Pops
01-14-2011, 05:18 PM
cool, good to know what everyone likes! keep it comin! people are interested

goatdancer
01-14-2011, 08:55 PM
Anything that breaks up the lines. Those plaid wool jackets worked for a long time. Just wash them in detergent that doesn't add UV brighteners. Jeans, on the other hand, get wet and stay wet. That could lead to hypothermia. The choice of proper material to prevent this is even more important than choice of pattern.

Alpine Addict
01-14-2011, 11:23 PM
http://i526.photobucket.com/albums/cc350/Alpine_Addict/untitled-1.jpg

Thats about as high tech as I get

GoatGuy
01-14-2011, 11:53 PM
Depending on where and what time of year it will either be denim blue or schoeller black.

There are however certain exceptions. For turkey hunting have been known to wear cam moo flage clothing but that is for special occasions. Late season wt hunting a blue and white sleeping bag with a toque (sometimes black or sometimes green depending on what can be found and what is dry).

Big Pops
01-15-2011, 02:50 AM
Hey alpine is that your land?? Looks amazing there!

huntwriter
01-15-2011, 11:21 AM
The best camo patterns that work in any terrain and at anytime of the season are Predator Fall Grey and ASAT. The reason these patterns work so well is because they have been designed using animal vision science rather than marketing science.

Most animals don't see colour the way we see it. Most animals have no depth perception. What animals see is light and shadow and that is what camouflage patterns such as ASAT and Predator are about.
Note: I am not getting paid to endorse ASAT or Predator.:-D

Coyote
01-15-2011, 12:03 PM
Disagree on one count HW. Fall grey shows up like a beacon in some covers. I have it and fall brown. Fall brown I find is more versatile IMO.
I do agree that ASAT and Predator are some of the better patterns

On another point, isn't ASAT one of your sponsors??? Just askin'.:confused:

'yote

vortex hunter
01-15-2011, 12:09 PM
use a ghuillie suit

BillyBull
01-15-2011, 12:15 PM
I'm an old wool pants guy and the only reason I now have some camo gear is that it was on sale --- Rocky scent control at CdnTire 2-years ago they dropped the price to $89 bucks. And then I happened to find the Sitka Mtn Mimic pants on a sale price Langley gun before out of business. I really like the Sitka pants for the movement and usage. The a gift card for WSS and I got the 90% MM on a spot sale. The camo is not the important part... its the movements and changes in light and shades and brightness ... better to stand motionless in front with your back to the tree for all to see ... then to stand behind in your camo pokey your head out to spot the game... the see and hear your movements not the fancy clothes were wearing.:-D

huntwriter
01-16-2011, 12:05 AM
On another point, isn't ASAT one of your sponsors??? Just askin'.:confused:

'yote

I am on the pro-staff team of ASAT. Having said that. I have been wearing ASAT camouflage since it was first invented 25 years ago. I choose ASAT after I tested many different camouflage patterns with special animal vision cameras that I had from the time when I still worked in the field of animal behaviour study. I was asked to join their pro-staff team two years ago, also long after I started wearing their product. I still wear Predator camouflage too. Just don't tell that to the ASAT folks.:mrgreen: