PDA

View Full Version : Peace country wolf hunt

bridger
01-10-2011, 11:13 AM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/resized_wolf_hunt_ad.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=22204&size=big&cat=500)

Steeleco
01-10-2011, 11:15 AM
Damn I wish I lived closer.

Schmaus
01-10-2011, 11:32 AM
We need to do this around PG, dam we have a lot of wolves running around

bcbrez
01-10-2011, 11:36 AM
I sure hope the tree huggers don't get wind of this. Great idea, could be bad press.
Guess it's no different then a big buck contest though.

pappy
01-10-2011, 12:34 PM
I think its a good way get more hunters into predator hunting, I haven't entered yet as work is busy right now. I did get my gun sighted in just in case I get a chance to look for a wolf. I have a wolf from Alberta in the freezer right now that I want to take to the taxidermist in Pouce and see what I can do with it, I shot it quartering away so the exit wound is up on the neck. I might just get the skull done as I shot it with a 300WM.

uraarchr
01-10-2011, 01:08 PM
wish I was up there!!! Or if we had something like that down here!

moose2
01-10-2011, 01:17 PM
Hi Rich
Thanks for posting this. It would be nice to see a few of these guys shot.
I bought my entry last week. I hope to get out at the end of Jan and early Feb
Mike

cariboobill
01-10-2011, 04:24 PM
TOOO funny I fell of my chair laughing at shooting anything that small with a 300WM.

CB

I think its a good way get more hunters into predator hunting, I haven't entered yet as work is busy right now. I did get my gun sighted in just in case I get a chance to look for a wolf. I have a wolf from Alberta in the freezer right now that I want to take to the taxidermist in Pouce and see what I can do with it, I shot it quartering away so the exit wound is up on the neck. I might just get the skull done as I shot it with a 300WM.

boxhitch
01-10-2011, 04:46 PM
The biggest wolves are also the Alpha males
Targeting the biggest may be counterproductive
If I were to enter a contest it would be for hidden weight or size prizes, bwdIk

Good luck to everyone participating though.

hunter1947
01-10-2011, 04:49 PM
I can't wait to see a few posts from the wolves they take from this area.

bcbrez
01-10-2011, 04:56 PM
If I were to enter a contest it would be for hidden weight or size prizes, bwdIk

Good luck to everyone participating though.

This is very true. If everyone goes out and targets the alpha male your wolf population will actually go up due to all other males in the pack being able to breed.

Tex Williams
01-10-2011, 05:03 PM
It'd be interesting to find out how many wolves are taken per man day of hunting

bridger
01-10-2011, 05:23 PM
This is very true. If everyone goes out and targets the alpha male your wolf population will actually go up due to all other males in the pack being able to breed.

get real!! no one is going to specifically target alpha males. most guys will be lucky to see a wolf let alone overharvest alpha males. Sheesh!!! we are just trying to get a few wolves and have some fun. thanks guys for the positive comments. will keep u up to date on the progress.

whitetailsheds
01-10-2011, 05:24 PM
In any of my wolf experiences, there wasn't time to be picking the biggest one.
They were all encounters while calling moose, and a couple that responded to howling. In either case, I wasn't being choosey as to the biggest.
Over bait? I guess. Even then I don't see that being an easy chore.
Picking or choosing the biggest one? Hmmmmm......
Steve (Proguide) wanna speak on this?

bcbrez
01-10-2011, 05:47 PM
get real!! no one is going to specifically target alpha males. most guys will be lucky to see a wolf let alone overharvest alpha males. Sheesh!!! we are just trying to get a few wolves and have some fun. thanks guys for the positive comments. will keep u up to date on the progress.

I didn't mean anything by it, I just agreed on what happens when the alphas get killed. I'm all for going out after wolves and we need more predator hunters out there. In the west kootneys we are getting more and more wolves coming up from the States looking for food. Another example of the Americans introducing a species and further screwing the habbitats of our native animals or fish.

finngun
01-10-2011, 07:25 PM
i never seen a wolf in wild..so my guestion is ..
how easy it to see diff.. betw.. big coyote or young
smaller wolf? specially if you are not close..
i know both are takers...and i love be able to shoot big bad wolf one day..

Johnnybear
01-10-2011, 07:29 PM
A bumper sticker from down South of the border where "someone's program" didn't pan out so good. Just research the Yellowstone wolf problem.

http://www.decalguy.com/images/1513.jpg

Good thread Bridger:-D.

finngun
01-10-2011, 07:33 PM
i never seen wolf in wild.so my question is...
how easy is to see diff. betw. smaller wolf, and big coyote
specially if animal is not close..?
i know both are takers...and i like shoot big bad wolf
oneday.. just..curiosity..thanks

BlacktailStalker
01-10-2011, 07:34 PM
Another example of the Americans introducing a species and further screwing the habbitats of our native animals or fish.

Where do you think they got them from in the first place ?

The wolves also follow the elk herds.
The wolves move both south and north as do the elk.

bridger
01-10-2011, 09:27 PM
first wolf turned in late this afternoon. medium sized gray male.

finngun
01-10-2011, 09:36 PM
were are timberwolfes?only up north?

kootenayelkslayer
01-10-2011, 09:49 PM

I've never really looked in to this theory very much. Can anyone elaborate on this idea, or substantiate it at all??

kootenayelkslayer
01-10-2011, 09:50 PM
By the way, this wolf hunt is a great idea. I'd like to see this done elsewhere in BC.

hunter7413
01-10-2011, 09:53 PM
can a trapper join in on this or is it only for hunted wolves

bridger
01-10-2011, 11:05 PM

as far as i am aware trapped wolves are eligible just drop into back country and pay the entry fee. good luck

bridger
01-10-2011, 11:09 PM
I've never really looked in to this theory very much. Can anyone elaborate on this idea, or substantiate it at all??

the theory is that in normal cirucumstances only the dominant male and female in a pack breed and if the dominant male or female is removed then the other members will breed and thus you have more wolves. however, as they have now found in yellowstone when wolves have a large prey base packs split and multiply at a much greater rate. the wolf population in bc is expanding at such a rate that it is pretty obvious that there is a lot more breeding going on than some people would have us believe.

Whisky Creek
01-10-2011, 11:12 PM
Bridger,

Rich, please post some of the heaviest weights you get when it is all said and done, as well as the averages if you can. It is good data to have when I tell a guy he is full of $h!t after telling me about the 160 lb wolf that his second cousin's, daughter's, boyfriend's neighbour shot.
I've taken 15 - 18 wolves in recent years (shot and trapped) and weighed the one's I was able to on my calf scale. Pups of the year ranged from 47 - 55 lbs, (two of them were on display at the BCWF banquet last year) some young wolves and females in the high 60's to low 80's weight range, mature males in the 90 lb range and only a couple in the 100 - 110 lb range. One the other day weighed 106 lbs, and I think is the biggest I've taken. I can believe rare northern male weights up to 125 lbs or so, with a full belly, but really have a hard time with the estimates of 150, 160 lbs etc.
And to those who claim to have weighed them at that, show me a picture of it on the scale, and length measurements...
It would be interesting for me to see if I have accidently only selectively harvested small wolves or if these are actually representative of true average sizes.

CLINT

kootenayelkslayer
01-10-2011, 11:16 PM
the theory is that in normal cirucumstances only the dominant male and female in a pack breed and if the dominant male or female is removed then the other members will breed and thus you have more wolves. however, as they have now found in yellowstone when wolves have a large prey base packs split and multiply at a much greater rate. the wolf population in bc is expanding at such a rate that it is pretty obvious that there is a lot more breeding going on than some people would have us believe.

I assumed that when the alpha male is lost from a pack that the next dominant male would move in to position quickly, plus there is still only one female doing the breeding. It just didn't seem logical to me that suddenly multiple males or pairs of wolves would start breeding and increase reproductive rates.
Anyway, like you say, as populations increase, it would seem likely that packs are going to split and breeding will occur more often.

GoatGuy
01-11-2011, 12:42 AM
as far as i am aware trapped wolves are eligible just drop into back country and pay the entry fee. good luck

Enter me and we'll pay you back in whiskey on the way down! :wink:

Kirby
01-11-2011, 01:02 AM
i never seen wolf in wild.so my question is...
how easy is to see diff. betw. smaller wolf, and big coyote
specially if animal is not close..?
i know both are takers...and i like shoot big bad wolf
oneday.. just..curiosity..thanks

when you see a wolf you'll know its a wolf. Its like seeing an Elk and thinking its a WT deer.

Kirby

Walking Buffalo
01-11-2011, 01:11 AM

They breed like dogs. 1+1= 6
Any good studs out there going to let a hot bitch get away? :)

The NEW theory being proven in recent studies is that removal of the Alpha pair has the greatest negative impact on a pack's survival. Disrupt the heirarchy, infighting occurs and the young ones suffer. Incohesive packs are targeted from neighboring packs.

If you want to reduce wolf densities, shoot the Alphas.

This study is protected in it's full form. Here is an abstract.

http://www.wildlifejournals.org/perlserv/?request=get-abstract&doi=10.2193%2F2006-305

Edit: here is the full study

http://www.nmwild.org/wp-content/uploads/brainerdetal-2008-effects-breeder-loss-on-wolves-j-wildl-manage-72-89-98.pdf

bridger
01-11-2011, 05:21 AM
Enter me and we'll pay you back in whiskey on the way down! :wink:

deal. just make sure its gibson's and not golden wedding

moose2
01-11-2011, 05:27 AM

The poster I read said no trapping they want it to fall under fair chase.
Mike

bridger
01-11-2011, 06:09 AM
The poster I read said no trapping they want it to fall under fair chase.
Mike

will check on this in the am and post the reply.

hunter1947
01-11-2011, 06:29 AM
I wonder why no trapping ?? if so will be interesting what you find out on this Bridger..

moose2
01-11-2011, 06:34 AM
will check on this in the am and post the reply.

Hi Rich
If you double click your poster it is a bit easier to read.
Mike

moose2
01-11-2011, 07:12 AM

Bridger is right on this one. I will be happy to shoot what ever size I can and whatever happens at the scale happens. There is is prize money for the smallest as well as a random draw for any wolf entered. So I don't think people will be that selective. Plus we can enter up 3 wolves each. To me its about being able to hunt this time of year and to have some fun. I will also be carrying a linx tag with me as well.
Mike

SHAKER
01-11-2011, 09:16 AM
I didn't see any limitations on equiptment? Little tip....... 10\80 will get'r done!:twisted: Pound away guys, we still can't get a wolf season here in Reg. 8. The ONLY region in the province that dosen't have one.

kootenayelkslayer
01-11-2011, 11:37 AM
The NEW theory being proven in recent studies is that removal of the Alpha pair has the greatest negative impact on a pack's survival. Disrupt the heirarchy, infighting occurs and the young ones suffer. Incohesive packs are targeted from neighboring packs.

If you want to reduce wolf densities, shoot the Alphas.

This study is protected in it's full form. Here is an abstract.

http://www.wildlifejournals.org/perlserv/?request=get-abstract&doi=10.2193%2F2006-305

Edit: here is the full study

http://www.nmwild.org/wp-content/uploads/brainerdetal-2008-effects-breeder-loss-on-wolves-j-wildl-manage-72-89-98.pdf

Thanks for that, good read. These results make more sense to me. Remove the alpha male or female, or ideally both, and reduce reproduction...for a while anyway ;)

GoatGuy
01-11-2011, 12:52 PM
deal. just make sure its gibson's and not golden wedding

Us southern folk are far too civilized to drink that stuff, don't worry. :wink:

bridger
01-11-2011, 09:26 PM
Us southern folk are far too civilized to drink that stuff, don't worry. :wink:

having some first hand experience with southern folk and whiskey i haven't seen anything you guys won't drink. lol

moose2
01-13-2011, 05:08 AM
Hi Bridger
Any more wolves turned in yet. Please keep us posted if you here of any more.
Thanks Mike