PDA

View Full Version : A walk in the bush~

CanuckShooter
01-10-2011, 07:32 AM
I know a couple of fellows that never seem to connect with a big game animal. It is quite interesting to hear what they just never seem to notice while they are out for a walk in the bush.

These guys never notice rubs, fresh tracks, game trails or even water sources. It sure makes me wonder what is on their minds while they are out for their 'walk in the bush'???

Wind direction, where the sun comes up, and lay of the land seem to be out of this world concepts for them??

The funny thing is they seem to think that the rest of us have some sort of intuitive hunting skill set that we are not showing them!!

So to start out, here are some tips for the less intuitive hunters, if they are interested in trying to learn something.

1> don't set up your blind, or tree stand, where the sun will be in your eyes when it comes up in the morning.
2>pay attention to wind direction, it's practically a guarantee that if the animals can smell you, you won't see them.
3>pay attention to game trails, and fresh tracks...they are factual indications of where the animals travel, their direction, and frequency of travel.
4>in some areas deer will move uphill in the morning and downhill in the evening [moose will also], keep a record, or mental memory of when you see does/cows and what they are doing when you see them.....in time you will see a pattern that you can use to your advantage.

Anyone else willing to help the bush walkers out a bit??:-D

leadpillproductions
01-10-2011, 07:42 AM
for me the biggest thing is to learn the area that im hunting , and have fun big buck will come

CanuckShooter
01-10-2011, 09:55 AM
Did you ever watch that show 'be the animal'??

5>you can make noise as long as it's not significantly different from what the animal your hunting would make. metal on metal is one of the worst, followed by velcro being released. Put your wrist watch up to your ear...can you hear ticking? A deer can hear that too at quite a distance..some people cannot figure out how the deer knows they are there?
6>just because another hunter has driven thru on a quad or truck doesn't mean you should have a hissy fit and go hunt elsewhere, lots of animals just stand there and watch things go by.
7>mother nature hates bush pigs...leave your trash all over and karma will ruin your hunting trip.

recoil
01-10-2011, 10:14 AM
I would agree that many hunters do not pay attention to the amount of noise you are making, i have some non hunting family members who like to chat while they hike and say they never see any animals when they are out and hunters must have "wiped out" the area. Often these areas are places where i have seen a ton of game during hunting season.

Also keep your head up and looking at the farthest point ahead, i sometimes find myself looking down at the trail to avoid tripping while i am walking and jumping deer i should have seen. A good solution is to walk 8-10 steps looking down, stop, scan the horizon, repeat.

Mountaintop
01-10-2011, 10:48 AM
I learned to glass often and look for parts such just a back or a tail and not a whole animal