PDA

View Full Version : Black marmots near Valemount?

patdel
01-09-2011, 10:55 PM
Took a picture of this little critter while on our moose hunt near Valemount. I was on the quad on an old side road when I came around a corner and saw him laying in the grassy area by the road. Wasn't sure what it was but pulled the quad right up to him and took these pictures. He then ran off towards a log pile and it definitely looked like a marmot. Anyone else ever seen black marmots in the interior regions? http://i1209.photobucket.com/albums/cc397/patdel1/DSCF1294.jpghttp://i1209.photobucket.com/albums/cc397/patdel1/DSCF1293.jpg

Mtn Wonderer
01-10-2011, 03:11 PM
You may have your self a picture of a mountain beaver. They live in coastal type forests, their all over the cascades.

MTW

TyTy
01-10-2011, 06:40 PM
That is a mountain beaver. Damn rare to see. Only time I've seen one was breifly when I almost stepped on it. scared the shit out of me :) That was on the east slopes of the coast mountians.

Jagermeister
01-10-2011, 09:41 PM
Looks like a muskrat to me!

patdel
01-10-2011, 09:43 PM
You may have your self a picture of a mountain beaver. They live in coastal type forests, their all over the cascades.

MTW

Thats interesting since I had never even known mountain beavers existed. Did a little research on them now and it does appear that is what it is. Crazy thing is that I saw him twice in three days at the same spot. Thanks for the info! Are they really endangered like I've read in some articles?

bigneily
01-11-2011, 10:04 PM
Bs mountain beaver...lol.. looks like a rat to me also.

doubled
01-11-2011, 11:16 PM
Head is too stubby for a rat. Looks like a beaver to me.

KB90
01-11-2011, 11:22 PM
To guys calling BS.

Look it up. Mountain Beaver. They do exist, and this looks to be one!

Mtn Wonderer
01-11-2011, 11:23 PM
If they are endangered it may be from logging. However I have only ever seen one myself, but I know where plenty live, I don't think there endangered, there seems to be evidence of them on most mountains I hunt in region 2. A rare known fact these animals remove each pellet from there ahole and stack it like cord wood. They feed under the snowpack in the winter and eat bark when the snow thaws you'll find neatly stacked piles of crap from them, along the tunnels they have feed in during the winter.

MTW

Fisher-Dude
01-11-2011, 11:27 PM
I've heard there are fields full of hybrids near McBride. Maybe they are spreading to Valemont too? :shock:

Camp Cook
01-12-2011, 06:58 AM
Wife just walked in as I was looking at the pic I looked at her and asked look at this pic what do you think it is...

She said its a beaver so there its a beaver...

:-D