PDA

View Full Version : what gear to take guiding

hunter#1_300
01-09-2011, 08:34 PM
For those guys that guide/wrangle i was just wondering what gear you would recomend to take guiding for the fall, the kinda gear you wouldnt leave with out and u need and things that come in handy. This will be my first time this fall, I will hopefilly be goin up to the yukon to guid or wrangle. thanks for the input

GOLDEN TOP SNIPER
01-09-2011, 09:02 PM
meat bags, handy wipes. two sharp knifes , good small camera, range finder ,bone saw and make sure you can cape and skin like a pro !.

Sitkaspruce
01-09-2011, 10:03 PM
This is the usual take with me stuff.

- enough clothes to ensure that you always have a dry pair to wear. 2 hunting pants, 2 jackets, one warm, one just a shell, all the usual underwear and socks, sweat pants or something comfortable to wear in camp, 2 complete sets of long underwear in either Marino wool ( Stanfields has a good set called superwool) or Polypropylene, good rain gear, a hat and a toque and 2 pair of gloves.
- 2 pair of GOOD waterproof boots, switch them out every day so they are dry and warm (if you have that chance...some times you will not.)
- Crocs or running shoes for around camp
- I carry three knives and a good sharpening stone. You will be surprised how many you will lose.....
- as others have said game bags (I make sure the clients have their own, but if not, then you can sell them yours :mrgreen:). I buy the large roll and bring ~30' with me. You can cut to fit.
- Headlamp and lots of batteries
- good back pack to carry your stuff in
- the usual stuff for personal hygiene (you would be surprised how that stuff gets left behind...), baby wipes (best thing for in the bush) and ziplock bag of butt wipe.
- depending on your job, a min is good Bino's, but you might need a spotter and tripod and do not forget a camera.
- sleeping bag, thermarest and pillow, if needed

As GTS stated, learn to cape and skin. best way to learn is to go ask your local or closest taxidermist for help and see if you can give him a hand with the caping and skinning.

I know I have forgotten some stuff, but one of the best things is to look at what your outfitter sends as a list to his clients and use that as a basic list and build from there, just remember, you will be there a lot longer and usually have no access to laundry facilities.

have fun, take a ton of pictures and enjoy your time out there.

Cheers

SS

kootenayelkslayer
01-09-2011, 10:56 PM
What are you going to be hunting for, and what kind of hunts? Either horseback or backpack I'm guessing...?
Also, check with your boss to see what he provides. Probably won't be much, but they usually provide the tents atleast.

Recordram
01-09-2011, 11:32 PM
Everything Sitkaspruce said. I like to use the surgical blades for all of my capping and skinning. Believe me the job gets done alot quicker. If it's your first year, you will probably be wrangling. Buy a new belt that is alot smaller than the one you wear now. Guarenteed you are going to lose alot of weight. I like the muck boots(style), as well. They keep your feet dry and you are comfortable to wear. I also have a pair of Meindels. When you work in the industry you will find put what works and what doesn't. You will laugh at the GI Joes that get off the plane to come hunt or have to ride your wrangled horses. You can Hebe the most expensive clothes and equipment but I guarentee it will wear out, break or get lost. Have fun.

325 wsm
01-09-2011, 11:52 PM
Take a fricken gun. One your hunter can kill a sheep with at over 300 yds after he misses 6 times with his gun. Oh yeah and make sure it's powerful enough to kill a charging grizz. Take 3 times more chew or smokes than you will actually need and sell it to the other guides at inflated prices when they run out. Avoid using cotton clothing unless you like to be cold and wet. Bring a toque and mittens and winter boots or similar winter gear. Bring a book or 2.
Also bring all the patience you can spare and expect most of the outfitters gear to be in bad shape. Never trust an outfitter until he proves you can trust him.Also throw a couple plastic mickey's of whiskey or rum in with your gear so you have something to drink on those "special day's".
good luck...

bruin
01-10-2011, 09:32 AM
First, don't worry about learning to cape, they'll teach you on your first couple of hunts. Unless your outfitter specifically says learn before you go. Take a knife and a scalpel (?), you can pick one up plus blades at your local vets office. Or pick up a Havalon Knife which serves both purposes.
The gear you need will really depend on what kind of hunting you're doing. I'm guessing you'll be hunting off horses mostly but he might do some backpack spike camps. Check the outfitter's recommended gear list for his hunters. It'll take a year to figure out what you do and don't need, pay attention to what your guides are using and don't worry about having a little extra stuff. The outfitter will bitch about it but its not that big of a deal to have an extra 10 lbs of stuff. Take an extra set of a few things that commonly get worn out like hiking pants, gloves, memory card for your camera. Take lots of books just in case. Also, I started packing a small journal which I've been keeping for the past 3 years and I wish I'd done it sooner, its a great thing to look back on.

boxhitch
01-10-2011, 10:41 AM
What you take depends so much on what the job is to be.
Things I would never be without -
- leather riding chaps
- a good sharp axe
- chainsaw file and wrench
- knives and sharpener and knowhow
- small rope or cord or wire
- various fire starter items and knowhow
- heavy duty rubberized rain gear
- extra boots and sox, one pair of rubbers
- minimum 60 liter day pack
- lights and batteries
- 1/2doz large hd ziplock bags

Boss should be supplying cutting safety gear, saw tools,

The journal is a great item to have and use.
Camera and take lots of pictures

Take a good work ethic
be the first feet to hit the floor in the morning
first to pour coffee
first to carry that extra load
always always always.........horses first, then yourself

I could go on forever......

GOLDEN TOP SNIPER
01-10-2011, 12:46 PM
the best thing to is go to a taxidermist that you know and ask him how he likes to have life size and capes brought in , little tricks to do it right and things not to do , they have great advice and some have little booklets for you . .also practise on any deer or bear you can ,your outfitter should be able to help you out as well .i find the more you do on your own stuff that your not to worryed about ,the better you get when you do a clients stuff .if your lucky enuff to get some time with a good taxidermist then take it by all means ..he can teach you how its done right without picking up some bad habits. it is a art to do it right the first time .. and take you time when doing the cuts and capes .its not a race .lol

stoneguide
01-10-2011, 02:50 PM
Here are a few things I would recomend, and will depend on how much gear the outfitter allows you to take in. Depends on the planes used or if you have to pack everything in.

- LED headlamps X2 w/ spare batteries.
- 2 quality flashlights
- 1 caping knife(not scaples if your new to caping!)
- 1 hunting knife
- knife sharpener
- Mid sized pack( kinda depends on the type of hunting you will be doing)
- 1 pair rubber boots(muck boots are great)
- 1 - 2 pair of hiking boots (gore-tex)
- quality binos( for hunting and also for finding horses)
- quality rain gear is a must!
- digital camera(with tons of batteries cause you will use lots) and 1 disposable camera for back up
- lots of socks
- biodegratable wet wipes.
- always have a pack of mole skin in your pack (always take care of your feet)
- books to read
- envelopes and paper to send letters home
- book for a diary
- snow seal for your boots
- lots of warm clothes
- baby powder for boots.
- best sleeping bag you can afford
- few pair of gloves (1 pair of water proof ones also gore-tex or rubberized)
- pair of gaitors are good to have
- axe w/scaboard (ox head or eastwig)

Lots of stuff im forgetting but this is some of the stuff I dont leave without.

Not sure of your experience but ill through in a few tips. Be the first to offer to help, dont be afraid to ask questions and dont just stand around with your hands in your pockets when work is being done. If you dont know what to do or what needs to be done ask. And be sure to get yourself up in the morning. If your wrangling be sure to always keep the wood box and water pails full.
At night, deal with your horses before you worry about anything else. Check them for any injuries every morning and evening. Run a hand down there back after unsaddling. They will move away from the touch if it hurts. Keep some bacon grease on hand for hobble sores. Everymorning check all the horses for shoes. Also listen when riding a loose shoe will quite often click.
And if you have other questions before you go just ask on here as there are alot of knowledgable members that will help out all they can.
SG

hunter#1_300
01-10-2011, 08:49 PM
thanks alot this gives me a good start. They outfitter uses horse and im sure there hunting moose, carbou, sheep and grizz i will find out for sure. Also what kind of packs do you guys use, how big, internal or external frame. thanks again for the help i will probably have more questions when it gets closer to the season

kootenayelkslayer
01-10-2011, 09:29 PM
Not sure of your experience but ill through in a few tips. Be the first to offer to help, dont be afraid to ask questions and dont just stand around with your hands in your pockets when work is being done. If you dont know what to do or what needs to be done ask. And be sure to get yourself up in the morning. If your wrangling be sure to always keep the wood box and water pails full.

Good advice.
I'm assuming if you're starting out that you'll be wrangling for the season? It's a great opportunity to work hard and show your boss what you're made of. Put in some hard work this summer/fall and it will pay off in the long run if you're looking to stay in the guiding business for a while. You'll have a lot of fun too.

GoatGuy
01-10-2011, 09:59 PM
thanks alot this gives me a good start. They outfitter uses horse and im sure there hunting moose, carbou, sheep and grizz i will find out for sure. Also what kind of packs do you guys use, how big, internal or external frame. thanks again for the help i will probably have more questions when it gets closer to the season

Like the internals if you're using horses. Something that will carry a quarter.

Hunt'n Guide
01-11-2011, 05:49 PM
I like to look of Stone Guide's list the best so far. If space is an issue I scrimp on clothes and make sure I have rubber boots and two pair of good hunting boots. Some good pac boots with spare liners replace one pair of the hunting boots in September.

Assuming you will be wrangling I will let you know what I've wished wranglers had but never seeem to pack..... an alarm clock. My least favorite thing to do is get up and repeatedly kick the wrangler's tent to get him up. Makes for a bad start to the day.
I wouldn't bother with game bags. Meat goes in the pack boxes and outfitters usually provide some.
Don't bother with a scoped rifle. A 45/70 marlin guide gun is all you need. (or a 12 guage slug gun) I never carry a rifle up the mountain after sheep. Most guys who spend $20 K and up for a hunt have made sure their gun is on and you will confirm that before you leave base camp.
Sunscreen is also on my can't do without list. Make sure you've got some kind of spf type chapstick too. Sunburnt lips suck.

stoneguide
01-11-2011, 07:22 PM
One thing I didnt mention is on the gloves department. I take about 3-4 dozen of the light white cotton roping gloves. They are cheap. Ill see if I have a pic of them. They work great. Save the hands 100% when leading horses and pulling the diamond rope. Have also used them inside other gloves, for wiping blood off capes, a new white set on your hands help up to imitate moose horns, even have worn them quartering and gutting as it gives you better grip and last but for sure not least if your out looking for horses or hunting and find yourself without TP then your covered:-D. I always have 4 or 5 pair in my pack at all time and usually a couple in my saddle bags.
SG

proguide66
01-11-2011, 07:31 PM
For those guys that guide/wrangle i was just wondering what gear you would recomend to take guiding for the fall, the kinda gear you wouldnt leave with out and u need and things that come in handy. This will be my first time this fall, I will hopefilly be goin up to the yukon to guid or wrangle. thanks for the input
I havent read all the posts on this thread and am sure its all been covered but will add this :
If this is your "first time" and they are willing to throw you into guideing its more than likely going to be a clown show so you may want to bring everything you can think of and lots of it.
Why do I say " clown show" ( IF its your first time) because throwing a newbie into a buisiness transaction with NO previous expereince of trails , where to find game and no previous experience with the outfitters 'string' and calling him a 'guide' is going to line you up for a fair amount of failure at someone elses ex$pen$e.........picture this : hunter- 'so where do you usually find the big bulls'? guide- "um dont know" ! , hunter -" how long you been guideing here?" guide- " um , first time"...so , picture dumping big $$ on your hunt and being on the recieving end of those answers:eek:

so...I'm going to asume your wrangling.And being that this is what you HAVE to do to survive , learn and be able to go out each day with the EXPERIENCED guide instead of staying in camp picking your nose.

1,work your ass off
2 , NEVER...and I mean NEVER come back with out the horses...EVER !!!...if you do , this means you cant do your job and someone else is going to have to and is going to mean your too WEAK to be there!( wrangling is the EASIEST job out there).
3. Dont try to be a 'hero' , it aint gonna happen. Ive been trying to be a hero for years and am still a looser..if its hero status your after , stay home.
4.If you have a chip on your shoulder and arent willing to ask for or follow advice , you more than likely arent going to make freinds in camp and no guide is going to want to take you hunting...and life is going to suck ass....so suck it up , admit to yourself that the expereinced guys have more knowlege than you and you HAVE to ask ask ask....dont line your self up for your foot in mouth daily.
5. try not to nail the cook...( if its female)...recipe for grieff..TRUST ME :twisted:

6. listen more than you talk.

7. take as much pictures and video as possible , even when you think you took too much , take more...you will reap the rewards later in life!!

batteries batteries batteries.......2 sets rain gear.....you dont really need a gun.....sharp knives....magazines/handlube:lol:...socks socks socks/same in underwear.

I only take a few pairs of jeans...1 er two pair of fleece pants...RAIN GEAR....

8. Start a thread on HBC in Nov with all your video and pics!!

good luck!

( back to my pool chair/sunburn:razz:)

knighthunter
01-11-2011, 07:40 PM
A few copies of the hunting reg's.

stoneguide
01-11-2011, 08:04 PM
2 , NEVER...and I mean NEVER come back with out the horses...EVER !!!...if you do , this means you cant do your job and someone else is going to have to and is going to mean your too WEAK to be there!( wrangling is the EASIEST job out there).

Not sure this is the best advice. Of coarse you need to do the best you can and not give up without giving it your best effort but id rather my wranglers come get help if needed than wander around aimlessly because their worried that if they come back guys will call them "weak". Ive seen where the best, most experienced guides couldnt find the horses. Sometimes its just dam hard to find them and a good guide getting off his ass to lend a hand will do more good in showing the new guy how to track horses, places they could hang, etc. and possibly get them horses in camp earlier.
And yes wrangling is fairly easy for experienced hands but for those just starting it can be very intimidating being in the middle of no where in the dark looking for horses and a Guide can make or break that guys whole career by how they treat them and teach them!
SG

dana
01-11-2011, 08:18 PM
I found one of my best items that many of the guides I worked with laughed at when they saw them was a big pack of baby wipes. A lot of times water isn't right there when the critter is down. The baby wipes are great for cleaning up after the skinning is done. Also works very well for making sure you don't end up with a chapped ass. ;)

stoneguide
01-11-2011, 08:20 PM
I found one of my best items that many of the guides I worked with laughed at when they saw them was a big pack of baby wipes. A lot of times water isn't right there when the critter is down. The baby wipes are great for cleaning up after the skinning is done. Also works very well for making sure you don't end up with a chapped ass. ;)

One of the first things I pack now. Wouldnt be hunting or guiding without them! Saves on some bad smelling and sore feet also.
SG

325 wsm
01-11-2011, 08:27 PM
Don't bother with a scoped rifle. A 45/70 marlin guide gun is all you need. (or a 12 guage slug gun) I never carry a rifle up the mountain after sheep. Most guys who spend $20 K and up for a hunt have made sure their gun is on and you will confirm that before you leave base camp.

Have had at least 3 hunters in the last 10 years who shot their sheep with my scoped rifle after (damaging scope, loosing bullets, and running out of bullets). Also 2 archers on the 2nd to last day who opted to use my rifle for their rams. Most of these shots were well over 200yds and open sights would not have been adequate.Add in another 1/2 dozen assorted animals such as moose, caribou and bear, some of which could have been taken with an open sighted rifle. A hunter will always feel more confident with a second scoped rifle along for the hunt. IMO you should carry the same rifle for guiding that you would choose to hunt for yourself with.

GoatGuy
01-11-2011, 08:32 PM
Have had at least 3 hunters in the last 10 years who shot their sheep with my scoped rifle after (damaging scope, loosing bullets, and running out of bullets). Also 2 archers on the 2nd to last day who opted to use my rifle for their rams. Most of these shots were well over 200yds and open sights would not have been adequate.Add in another 1/2 dozen assorted animals such as moose, caribou and bear, some of which could have been taken with an open sighted rifle. A hunter will always feel more confident with a second scoped rifle along for the hunt. IMO you should carry the same rifle for guiding that you would choose to hunt for yourself with.

Even if he's wrangling?

I only packed a rifle for a season, then packed the defender. Always figured it was the hunter's job to kill the animal and it's nice not having a cannon strapped to your back. It's a personal choice I suppose.

325 wsm
01-11-2011, 08:37 PM
no a scoped rifle is not necessary for wrangling.

GoatGuy
01-11-2011, 08:42 PM
The part that sucked the most my first year of guiding was not having the right clothes. Lots of moving from camp to camp, sometimes leaving for 'a day' and coming back 3 weeks later after everything's started to freeze up and all you have is one set of clothes. Washing yourself and your only set of clothes in a river that's icing over isn't all it's cracked up to be.

Take warm gear and waterproof gear.

Also a scalpel's handy to have.

If you don't have the greatest gear (optics, sleeping bag, backpack) the hunter's will usually help you out with that program when they leave. :wink:

boxhitch
01-11-2011, 09:45 PM
You are serious, aren't you ? Wow, what a string of chitey hunts.

I can vouch for probably 5 guides over 12 years, close to 400 hunts, none of which would have needed a second rifle. The guide has no obligation to make the hunter a success, he can do that on his own when the guide sets up the opportunity.

Out of bullets ? its Miller time, a good end to what was obviously a bad situation, that should probably have ended sooner or not started.

Last day of an archery hunt is just as good as the first day for an arrow, unless they decide to switch implements that they carry.

Although, I have packed a rifle for the occasion that I feel my follow-up would make less work for my crew, like dumping a moose before it gets to water, but due to proper set-ups. that hasn't been an issue.
Funny story about the guide that helped dump a clients moose in the water , instead of being patient.

pitbell
01-11-2011, 09:57 PM
Don't bother with a scoped rifle. A 45/70 marlin guide gun is all you need.

I agree that in some situations it doesn't get any better than an open sighted lever rifle. Like when backing up bow hunters, or chasing hit bears into the timber. However, If you guide long enough there will come a time when you will need to reach out and finish a hunters poorly hit animal. Or he runs out of bullets because he can't shoot worth shit and reaches for your gun, or he is a bow hunter that turns into a rifle hunter on the last day and you hand him your rifle. Your going to want a scoped rig if his $30,000 ram is out past 150yds.

hunter#1_300
01-11-2011, 10:12 PM
so if im wrangeling should i bring a gun and if so what should i bring I have a 300 mag and a 12 gauge deffender and will probably be buying a saddle gun here soon to 45/70 it will probably be. or i guess my guide will tell me when the time comes.

stoneguide
01-11-2011, 10:27 PM
so if im wrangeling should i bring a gun and if so what should i bring I have a 300 mag and a 12 gauge deffender and will probably be buying a saddle gun here soon to 45/70 it will probably be. or i guess my guide will tell me when the time comes.

For wrangling all you will need is the defender or the 45/70 with open sights.

As for guides I always have my personal hunting rifle in camp. I never pack it unless going back in on a kill or if we are hunting bear.
I have had 2 different hunters use my rifle to finish their hunts after theres were broken(0ne the lense in the scope was broken when the rifle was dropped on a rock and the other the hunter shot his first animal and the case stuck and we couldnt get it out.). Without my rifle these would have been failures.
SG

bruin
01-11-2011, 10:29 PM
I never carried when I was wrangling. Looking back it probably wasn't a good idea. I carry a 45-70 now and have been very happy with it. Very versitile and you don't have to worry about knocking your scope off during the season. As a wrangler that's what I would carry. I don't like defenders with a pistol grip personally because I know I'm not accurate with them and I don't have to think about shooting a rifle, its second nature. I've never had an instance to finish a ram. I"m also very careful to make my hunters check their guns if they fall or halfway through the hunt for confidence purposes.

BromBones
01-11-2011, 11:21 PM
5. try not to nail the cook...( if its female)...recipe for grieff..TRUST ME :twisted:

Thats why you brought Gatehouse up to chef last year eh... Keep the guides from tryin to bone the cook.:)

Hunt'n Guide
01-12-2011, 09:46 AM
I stand by reccommending a 45/70 for a guide/wrangle gun. Over the course of over 300 guided hunts I've come to the conclusion that it is the best option for me. I admit in my early years I caried a long gun as back up when I didn't have a good brush rifle and admit to using it to "backup" iffy shots on some occasions. Occasionally it may be easier to put that extra bullet into an animal as it heads for the thick stuff but nobody is ever really happy that their guide shot their animal.
If a bowhunter wants to switch to a rifle on the last day; well, being a bow hunter he probably has the skills to stalk into range for a 45/70.

Sitkaspruce
01-12-2011, 11:38 AM

Have had at least 3 hunters in the last 10 years who shot their sheep with my scoped rifle after (damaging scope, loosing bullets, and running out of bullets). Also 2 archers on the 2nd to last day who opted to use my rifle for their rams.

They must be some the same guys I guide.....:mrgreen: Except they simple are sh*t out of luck if they miss or run out of ammo. I have never to lend a client my gun. If he pays the $$ to come up and hunt them they can spend the time and $$ to make sure they can shoot. Not my problem if they miss, my job is done. I had one guy who missed 10 shots at two different bears and one moose, all inside a 120 yards....He then tells me that he just bought the gun and out ONE box down the tube to make sure it was sited in. He felt his 06 was not big enough....and he went home with nothing.

As for guides I always have my personal hunting rifle in camp. I never pack it unless going back in on a kill or if we are hunting bear.
SG

Same for me, my personal gun come with me, but I only carry it if we are going back to a kill or are chasing bears, and it is for me only....I have never been asked and have never offered it. But this is my personal choice. If their gun was actually broken, then I might. Some guys I guide bring two guns and a quite a few bring an extra scope (something I usually suggest to them in the pre hunt discussion)

As to the original question, if you have an easy to pack gun, then bring it. I usually brought my 358 win w/a 20" barrel and Leupold 1.75x6x32 scope. Not a long range sniper, but up close, it will do the job. Your defender would be a great gun to bring.

Cheers

SS

Alpine Addict
01-14-2011, 04:24 PM
Tuck Tape. You WILL rip your rain gear riding. Leatherman is a must. And a gps is a good idea to. Just because your warngling don't think you can just follow the guide blindly without paying attention. Mark trails, Camps ect. The guide might ask you to take the hunter back to camp if he stays out scouting. Saved me a few times. Fog is a bitch.

gamehunter6o
01-14-2011, 04:32 PM
A white cane, for that blind client that can't see the animal.:lol:

Alpine Addict
01-14-2011, 04:54 PM
Who are your working for in the YK?

bruin
01-14-2011, 05:21 PM
I bring extra buckles for my pack, and leave them in camp, just incase one snaps. Saved me twice. Also, I use a sleepingbag liner that I wash throughout the year so my bag doesn't get as nasty.