PDA

View Full Version : fish burgers

pnbrock
01-09-2011, 03:01 PM
any of you tried to make your own fish burgers,if so what was your favorite methods?have a surplus of halibut ,snapper ,ling cod so need to come up with something other than fish n chips.

BigfishCanada
01-09-2011, 03:03 PM
Hunting at our cabins last Nov we caught a 3lb brook, baked in the stove with oil, garlic, peppers butter and lemon. Then put it on a bun with mayo and it was AMAZING

Gateholio
01-09-2011, 05:08 PM
If you mean patties of ground/chopped fish, I've made zillions. We used to use up lots of halibut and salmon trim and serve it ot the staff this way.

I can't tell you an exact recipe becuase we never used one, but we woudl grind the fish or chop it in the food processor, then add some sauteed chopped onions, chopped celery, lemon zest and some eggs and breadcrumbs. We'd throw in all sorts of stuff to play with flavours, sometimes capers, sometimes Worcestershire or tabasco, sometimes we'd use choppd red pepper, whatever.

FOrm into patties and you can toss more breadcumbs on top, or dip in flour/egg/breadcrumbs for more of a crust. Then deep fry or bake in the oven.

Lemon zest is one of the more important flavours, gives a real nice flavour. Chop it up really fine.

c.r.hunter
01-09-2011, 05:47 PM
I make fish patties all the time. When I fillet salmon I always take a spoon and scrape the frames to get whatever meat I missed. If you haven't done this before, you'll be surprised how much you leave behind. I've come up with many different variations over the years. My usual go to is just egg, either bread crumbs or Ritz cracker crumbs and salt & pepper. My ex couldn't eat wheat gluten so for her I would use either cornflower or GF bread crumbs. I'll often add lemon zest (as gatehouse mentioned) and fresh dill or Cajun seasoning. I prefer to leave the fish in bigger chunks as opposed to chopping it fine as it seems to make a moister patty. (IMO anyways) If there's extra I'll freeze the patties between wax paper then vacuum seal once frozen. You can toss the patty straight into the pan frozen and they turn out great! For bottom fish I usually try to make a patty out of a chunk of fillet. If I get a bigger Halibut, oftentimes I'll cut chunks into burger sized pieces before freezing. Makes good use of those tougher bigger ones. Small more tender halibut tend to flake apart too easy and make a mess. Snapper & lingcod are also good for burgers, seem to hold together good once cooked. I like a variety of breadings, but my favorites are;
Bread crumbs & Cajun seasoning.
Breadcrumbs, salt pepper, lemon zest & dill
I also like to use ground almond with the same seasonings for a breading, never tried it on a burger but I'm sure it would be good. I usually pan fry all of these in a little butter & light tasting oil such as grapeseed.

Gateholio
01-09-2011, 06:22 PM
Yeah, fresh dill is a great addition.:-D

roebag
01-09-2011, 09:14 PM
........... keys are covered in drool..........hard time typing words....

pnbrock
01-09-2011, 10:38 PM
After searching for delicious sounding recipes online, I finally found one I thought worth trying and I was right. Doesn't get much better than this .. McPukes .. eat your heart out !!

http://i581.photobucket.com/albums/ss260/Tipsbrock/HalibutBurger.jpg

chainsaw
01-09-2011, 10:47 PM
After searching for delicious sounding recipes online, I finally found one I thought worth trying and I was right. Doesn't get much better than this .. McPukes .. eat your heart out !!

http://i581.photobucket.com/albums/ss260/Tipsbrock/HalibutBurger.jpg

You better bring a few of those when you come pick your gun up.Looks good nice job.

pnbrock
01-09-2011, 11:11 PM
gonna have too only way i can pay you ...lol