PDA

View Full Version : bowtec ?

bozzdrywall
01-09-2011, 11:43 AM
So what are your thoughts on the new bowtec destroyer 340? Iam going to be getting a new bow this year and this is the one i think i want. Need some feed back from the pros.

Poguebilt
01-09-2011, 12:20 PM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/jim_bow.jpg

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/jimbow2.jpg

Pro advice!?

Bow Walker
01-09-2011, 10:28 PM
I find Alpine bows are (imo) hard to hold, hard to draw, and just don't feel comfortable in my hands....sorry ron.

Bowtech and Diamond - on the other hand - fit me like a glove. Hoyt is another one that feels very good in the hand and to shoot.

It's a personal thing. What feels good to me likely won't feel good to another shooter.

You've got to handle the bow to know if you're going to like it.

BC Boy
01-10-2011, 12:07 PM
Hi, I've been shooting a BT Guardian for the past two years, a great bow, I ordered a BT Destroyer 340 in Optifade forest and it just cleared customs so it should be here this week. From all I've read and from a day of shooting one all I can say is its a great bow. There has been some issues with derailing, mostly with the 350, but this year they have put deeper grooves in the cams so this should eliminate this problem. It was mostly poor form and guys being over bowed that caused the issues. I'll post a review to let you know how I like, good luck in your bow search. Derrick.

bcbrez
01-10-2011, 12:40 PM
I'd have a look at the 2011 Pse line as well. The Axe is a nice bow, as are the rest. I have a Bow Madness and love it.

Bowzone_Mikey
01-10-2011, 12:54 PM
the 340 is an awesome bow .... I would get it over the 350 ...

great braceheight ... smooth draw curve for a speed bow ... I like it

that said my new bow this year is gonna be an Elite

OOBuck
01-10-2011, 04:09 PM
I just bought the PSE Axe6 very nice bow, very little or no shock &
ridiculous speed. Only thing I don't like is the grip could be nicer. I
use to shoot an Alpine Silvardo Saber and really like the feel, sorry Dan:mrgreen:

Haven't shot a bowtech in a while or that bow but never really liked the feel..

Jonas111
01-10-2011, 05:32 PM
They are a nice bow but I wouldn't buy one until they stop derailing. I have read numerous threads where guys have owned bowtechs for years and they are now moving on because there destroyer derailed more then once.

Just go to Archery Talk under general discussions and punch in Bowtech Destroyer and you will get your fill and you can make an informed decision from there.

I agree with Bowzone, Elite bows are one of the best in the business. I am also a Mathews and Strother fan. The Strother and Elite bows are very similar and they are very fast depending on which model you choose.

Good luck

Bow Walker
01-10-2011, 06:01 PM
the 340 is an awesome bow .... I would get it over the 350 ...

great braceheight ... smooth draw curve for a speed bow ... I like it

You're a married man, with kids. How the heck can you afford a new bow this year (or any other year)?!? I'm jealous.

I'd love to be able to buy an Elite bow. Back in '06 I was all set to get one but they weren't ready for retail sales at the time I was buying - so I ended up with my '06 Diamond Liberrty. Pre-ordained? Maybe.

Jonas111
01-10-2011, 06:27 PM
You're a married man, with kids. How the heck can you afford a new bow this year (or any other year)?!? I'm jealous.

I'd love to be able to buy an Elite bow. Back in '06 I was all set to get one but they weren't ready for retail sales at the time I was buying - so I ended up with my '06 Diamond Liberrty. Pre-ordained? Maybe.

The question is what Elite is Bowzone getting? They are all so nice.

I have the Elite Judge in Snow Camo and It looks amazing. Shoots great too.

bozzdrywall
01-10-2011, 07:43 PM
Thanks for all the feed back. Now iam a little scared of the derailing problem but i only plan to pull 65-68 lbs. does this matter?

OOBuck
01-10-2011, 08:33 PM
Thanks for all the feed back. Now iam a little scared of the derailing problem but i only plan to pull 65-68 lbs. does this matter?

Nope, Alpine had the same problems a few years ago. I had one come apart
on me and it was a little scary:eek:

With the Alpine it was cause by the lack of a draw stop over extending the cams and upon let down the sting would walk off the cam..

325 wsm
01-10-2011, 08:35 PM
got a Bowtec " the rock". Only have good things to say about it so far. Especially like the grip as it fits my hand well and the bow is light and short .
Not a bow expert like some of the other guys on here though.

Jonas111
01-10-2011, 08:59 PM

In my opinion people try and pull too much with there bows. My hunting bow is a 60lb bow and all i will ever need.

I had a 70lb bow last year and I shoot way too much to be pulling that much weight. If you plan on shooting a lot to practice then get a 60lb bow and turn it down a but and shoot it all the time.

What is your draw length? Reason being there is a bunch of nice bows but if you are a short dl like me (27") then you might want a faster bow. If you have a 29" to 30" bow then you could buy a super smooth bow and get the same speeds as me with an aggressive bow.

My hunting bow IBO speed is 350fps. With my heavy hunting arrows and short DL i get just under 300 fps. My 3d bow shoots light arrows and has an IBO of 353 and i get 312 fps.

There is so much to choosing a bow. I would also highly recommend to go to a local pro shop and shoot them all. Try Mathews, PSE, Elite, Hoyt and if you can find a strother try it too.

Good luck

Bowzone_Mikey
01-11-2011, 01:13 PM
The question is what Elite is Bowzone getting? They are all so nice.

I have the Elite Judge in Snow Camo and It looks amazing. Shoots great too.

its gonna be a Pure either in Ninja or AT Snow edition ...(I havent quite decided yet)
I was gonna pull the pin on it on Friday but I have to spend 300 bucks on an ICBC deductible because the road crews north of Q-town suck ass and drop boulders as opposed to crush sand (took out side window of my van when a car passed me) ...and yea I am bitter about it ...

HMC road services suck

Kudu
01-11-2011, 05:04 PM
I like it

Kevin Strother is a fantastically talented designer, whether it be for Bowtech or Elite, his bows always have a little something special about them.

I'm not completely convinced that I need to get rid of my GT 500 and replace it with any of the 2011 lineups - the pure does look interesting though.

Bow Walker
01-11-2011, 05:36 PM
In my opinion the GT 500 is the best bow out there. It's a classic.

pickaspot
01-25-2011, 12:21 PM
The 340 Destroyer is wicked. Extremely light and still has that 'dead-in-the-hand feeling'. Had some cam lean issues early on- wonder if that attributed in any way to the derailing mentioned earlier. Either way, with the technology out there these days you can't really go wrong!

Shoot straight.

BC Boy
01-26-2011, 09:46 AM
Bozz, well I got my D340 two weeks ago and I'll give you my thoughts on it. They have made deeper groves on the cams to deal with the derailing issue, they are very deep, I have drawn this bow and tourqued it and I can honestly say I dont think there is anyway I could derail it, derailing is a non issue, I wouldn't let it sway you in your decision. This bow is awesome, the fit and finish were great. Its extremely accurate, I am getting better and more consistant groups than I have with other bows. It is very forgiving, there have been a few shot that I thought I pulled way off but when I walked to the 50 m target they were still grouped well. It is a touch louder than my guardian but by putting some cat whiskers on the string it is very very close in volume. It holds well on target with very little hand shock on release. I think the 7 inch brace height is the way to go with this bow not the 6 inch D350, it adds the forgiveness when not making a perfect shot and gives you a bit more clearance for bulky clothes not to make contact with the string. It tuned very easily, paper tuned, walk back tuned and is shooting my fieldpoints and broadheads at the same point of impact out to 50m. I am shooting Cx maxima hunters at 28.5 inches blazers and 125 gr slick tricks (411gr total weight) at 70 lbs 29 inch drawlength at 302 fps! I can honestly say there is nothing I dont like about this bow. Its a shooter. Good luck with your decision, Derrick.

bozzdrywall
01-26-2011, 10:15 AM
thanks derrick but 28.5" long for blazers lol i know what you mean thanks again

Lorne
06-17-2011, 08:56 PM
I bought a destroyer 340 last year, have had zero problems this thing is super quick and packs a punch. At the mission range the arrows poke out of the back of the target at 30 yards and i have never seen any marks on the backside of the targets other than mine. Shooting it with the victory v-force high velocity arrows, they are super light and have a solid spine to handle the extra fps.

mikeboehm
06-17-2011, 10:37 PM
ive never owned bowtech before but i here this over and over its hard to get warranty unless you deal with jimbos in alberta

Bowzone_Mikey
06-18-2011, 06:53 AM
never heard about jimbows ..... I know Jim quite well and know that he is a bowtech guru .... it can be a bit of a pain if you live in Canada dealing with factory service ... but that goes with any manufacturer unless your dealer can deal direct as most brands have to go thru a 3rd party distributor even for service work .....

That said I have owned a few Bowtech products ...and have very little to complain about them ,,,other than being too fast ...too quiet...too smooth etc.....

Bow Walker
06-18-2011, 09:27 AM
Diamond bows are made by Bowtech and as I mentioned, I've had one since '06. Love it. Absolutely no issues with it, other than replacing strings/cables. I'd highly recommend them to anyone.

taylor1
08-17-2011, 01:42 PM
go with bowtech in my opinion, i use one and love it, i have noticed shows such as heartland bowhunting are switching to bowtech, the invasion cpx is also another bow i would look at by bowtech, they all seem to be good and there value is wicked when you look at there performance and speed and accuracy

Bowzone_Mikey
08-17-2011, 02:45 PM
go with bowtech in my opinion, i use one and love it, i have noticed shows such as heartland bowhunting are switching to bowtech, the invasion cpx is also another bow i would look at by bowtech, they all seem to be good and there value is wicked when you look at there performance and speed and accuracy
and if Oneida was paying the bills they would be shooting those ....

Mountain Man
08-17-2011, 02:48 PM
Great bows,
Poor customer service,
Poor turn around,
I can give you the phone number of my customer that has had his new Bowtec sitting here for 5 months and the distributor and manufacture has done nothing to get this thing fix. We phone every other week and its the same answer [ we are soooo busy ] Do you want to hear that as the customer ? Im not going to get into good vs bad on bow models as there is enough opinions on here. But if you have any issues with a Bowtech good luck with service. Other than that I think there one of the nicest bows out there. Just an opinion thats all.

I sound like a broken record but hopefully you buy a brand that your local shop can service, help you tune, and set up. And chase a warranty or recall if that arises. If you dont live near a shop than I believe its even more important a person buys a brand that has not been dubbed blowtec, the name came about for a reason.

PM me if you have any detailed questions, I would be glad to help answer any questions ! ?