PDA

View Full Version : Hunting with kids with a disabilty

bear buster
01-09-2011, 08:02 AM
I have never been one to turn down the kids when going hunting, I have 3 kids. ages2,5,7, my oldest is Faith she has been with me on countless hunts. She has Cerebral Palsy, and has limited use of her left hand/arm, she has started to show more interest in shooting, but with her it has to be off a bench. I guess my question here is what are my options for her has she gets older in terms of shooting game? She came on a few walks with me this year and sat in on an elk calling session at a water hole, she can't walk to far but she gives it her best go. I am looking at finding a gunsmith who would be interested in fabing up and stock that is easyer for her to hold with her left hand, any ideas?
How many of you out there have hunting with a child with a disability and what are your thoughts? I know this year we ran into a group of quaders when we were out in the exploder way in the middle of nowhere and there was quite a big concern from one of the wifes in the group as to me even having her out there. We were helping a guy with his moose when they came along and my daughter was covered in blood and what not from helping. I also had some greif from some people who watched us set her up and try shooting grouse from the hood of our samurai(window folded down) Can a disabled youth get a permit to shoot from a quad or truck? I have 1 farmer who set us up with an old camper and a feed pile to shoot deer, we just watched it this year, seen lots and even camped out once in it. Just figure its time to find some options. Thanks.

CanuckShooter
01-09-2011, 08:10 AM
My partner suffered a stroke last spring [left side all numb]...he took a 6 pt bull elk, and a 4pt mulie..shooting from a chair!!

You could try setting her up with a tripod shooting stick...or hunt from a blind/stand that has a shooting rest. I would think that if her left is weak, that you could probably attach the sling to her arm with elastic strap and velcro?

I applaud you for getting her out there....let the worry warts worry and keep having a good time, your her dad for gawds sake, you'll look after her.:-D

fearnodeer
01-09-2011, 09:09 AM
Tell your daughter thats awesome she wants to join you on your hunts, as far as other people judging you on what you are doing, well we all know were they can go, over the years i've found most people only judge to make themselfs look better, if i had the chance to hunt with your daughter i would be an honour, not if but when your daughter gets her first please post it. Have you tried youtube to she what other people are doing, The Canuckshooter has a good idea. I wish your family all the best and success and even pray this happens for you.

fearnodeer
01-09-2011, 09:23 AM
I googled Handicap Hunting B.C and yes there is a permit allowing her to shoot from a veichle. Hope this helps

bcbrez
01-09-2011, 10:09 AM
I think it's awsome that you get her out with you and that she is interested enough to want to get her own animals. My wife is a care aid and I meet alot of the clients she works with. Some people have no idea what they are capable of. It's always the people with no clue about the situation that are the first to judge. F@CK'EM. I have my first kid on the way and hope he/she shows as much interest as yours. Would love to hear what you come up with to help her shoot, and can't wait to see some first deer pics. Good luck.

01-09-2011, 10:22 AM
FANTASTIC that she's getting out there with you ! That is HUGE in it's self.

I could not say better things of you both for meeting the challenges head on.

Don't be discouraged by others comments or thoughts either. If she enjoys what she is doing in our great outdoors with you and family, despite her disabilities, keep doing it !

Permits are there to be able to shoot from a vehicle for disabled persons, I did think I saw it in the Regs.

Go get em guys ! Good on ya.

Use lighter calibers and gauges to get her started.

A bench style set up with a blind sounds like a great way to go. Be sure she is comfortable thats all.

CT

Shooter
01-09-2011, 10:56 AM
My oldest son also has Cerebral Palsy. He has hunted with me for years and has taken deer every year. He also has some balance issues so walking when he is with me is limited. He enjoys the walks however when the terrain is very tough going it is very challenging for him to stay rubber side down. I have tried almost every shooting stick and bipod I could find. We now make sure that his rifle is always equipped with a Harris Bi-Pod and with that he can shoot accurate enough to down game at a reasonable distance. Good for you doing what you can to get her out there.

Clint_S
01-09-2011, 02:47 PM
Good on ya BB.

With greater challenges come greater rewards. Just keep it fun for her and I'm sure she'll do fine. Hopefully she has enough strength and dexterity to do everything safely and everything else is gravy. You know her limits so just stay within those and you guys will do great. My son has a learning disability coupled with some minor physical challenges and we hunt together constantly. It definitely is tougher on me as I have to work harder to make up for him but he's getting better all the time. Sometimes I worry in the event anything happens to me as he would be lost the first time he turned around but we go prepared and have a lot of fun.

BCrams
01-09-2011, 04:19 PM
Hats off for you doing what it takes to have your daughter enjoy the outdoors and hunting!! A little creativity can go a long ways to enhance the hunting experiences!

girlhunter1
01-09-2011, 04:44 PM
yes, you can get a permit for her to discharge a firearm out of a motorized vehicle. The vehicle has to be shut off while shooting though. I have a buddy that is a quadrapaligic, and we take him hunting all the time, it is great to get them out and do what you love to do. I have been searching to find private land for my buddy to hunt on, as it is easier for him to take an animal out of a blind then a vehicle at most times. I have found quite a few up north that i will be going to check on this spring for him, if your are interested, keep in touch with me and i will let you know how i make out, and maybe you and your daughter can go when she is ready to tag an animal.