PDA

View Full Version : meat run or quality meat[or bouth]

finngun
01-08-2011, 09:41 PM
hey ,everybody loves pictures of big buck and huge racks,
but who put value for best kind of meat..?
or do you think--waste of tag?

at least i do.. some years ago i had doe leh drow kamloops area..and there we couldn't find muledeer --and time was limited

so when i find a doe with two bambi--i shot--guess what?not mama,but one of the bambi..
my buddy start laughing --he said both dinner what you are gonna get out of that baby,are gonna be really good..
well--i got about 25 lb meat ......but quality of that deer meat was exellent [milk calf].
and another good think to shot second yangster off is because often only one bambi of the family can survive through winter.

eastkoot
01-08-2011, 09:54 PM
WTF?????:confused:

blindguy
01-08-2011, 09:58 PM
WOW!!! hope everythings alright buddy.

f350ps
01-08-2011, 09:59 PM
This outta be good! :confused: K

finngun
01-08-2011, 10:22 PM
sorry if i get misunderstood...my mistake...but i really meant....who put more value quality venison over
how many lb. you are getting it..?
getting my point?:confused:

Jelvis
01-08-2011, 10:34 PM
It's as clear as mud lol .. I hear yah the young deer taste better than an old wore out doe.
Jel ( For meat ) I like the yearling over the old deer after rut is on ..
A doe that has twins in Spring can be a wreck bringing them up, so the fawn would taste moocho better.

Steeleco
01-08-2011, 11:25 PM
Trust Jelvis to be the first one to understand the OP!!! Go Jelly!!!!

ruger#1
01-08-2011, 11:28 PM
Jel please translate this for us.

lip_ripper00
01-08-2011, 11:33 PM
If its a toss up between a stinkey old bull and a milk fed 2 point that is smaller, I'm taken' the veal every time!!!

ruger#1
01-08-2011, 11:34 PM
Sorry finngun. I had to read that a couple of times. And yes the young deer would taste better. People laugh at me for shooting spike bucks. Antlers are hard to eat. And some big bucks are not to tasty.

BromBones
01-08-2011, 11:40 PM
He's asking if you'd rather have 100 lbs of big old muley buck to chew on, or a smaller quantity of better tablefare by shooting a spiker or a fawn.

I think.

jack the bear
01-09-2011, 12:30 AM
you guys ever heard of burger and sausage even weiners taste good and we no what they are made of

Gateholio
01-09-2011, 12:44 AM
Jel please translate this for us.

HAW

Almost spit my beer on the keyboard...:mrgreen:

Gateholio
01-09-2011, 12:53 AM
I can make most any meat taste good and be reasonably tender somehow, so I don't worry too much about shooting for quality. Besides, I've had some pretty old bucks end up being pretty tender and tasty anyway. If I was to ever get a local moose draw, I'd be dropping the first moose I saw, and wouldn't care about the size of the rack. Gilmores local "teenager" moose he got a few years back was what I consider a perfect eating moose. Big enough to hae plenty of meat, still young enough to be tender.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v154/111/96/526315515/n526315515_640369_7836.jpg

Another buddy got a draw on a local moose and shot a Legendary 2 pt moose! Didnt' even need the draw! It was super tender, like veal, but it wasn't much bigger than a huge body mule deer. They were able to gut it and load it whole into the truck by hand. Great quality meat, but not as much as it could have been, but it was the first and only moose he saw.

Sow grizz and three cubs showed up on the gutpile the next day.:-D

hunter1947
01-09-2011, 03:53 AM
If your a trophy hunter then the tough meat but if your not a trophy hunter and you want meat that you know will be good for the table you did the right thing at least you did not waist a tag ,look at it that way..

CanuckShooter
01-09-2011, 06:48 AM
Out of the hundreds of big game animals I've shot there was only one that wasn't palatable.....so I would shoot the larger animal and not worry about the quality of the meat.

IF I ever get a moose LEH [like gates buddy] I will never shoot a spike fork bull moose....out of principle!!!:mrgreen:

M.Dean
01-09-2011, 08:02 AM
Yes, the smaller of the 3 does would be the better eating animal. I've seen pics on here where the guys have had 2 does draws and taken both, the Mother and the Yearling. Not a lot of meat, but the meat you get is pretty tasty!

bear buster
01-09-2011, 08:08 AM
I would take a nice young early season moose over some 50+ inch monster in late sept or oct, sure the racks look cool, but they taste like shit. same for deer get them before the rut, never had a bad elk.

kennyj
01-09-2011, 10:15 AM
I shot a big blacktail early in the season last year( 3rd day) and it is some of the best meat we've had and lots of it. Also big bull moose before the rut are fat and excellent table fair. IMO
kenny

steel_ram
01-09-2011, 10:25 AM
If choosing between a doe and fawn, or a cow and a calf, always take the baby, otherwise your indirectly killing both anyways.

pnbrock
01-09-2011, 10:31 AM
never ever ever would i shoot a fawn,shoot a fawn luck is gone!besides i can buy 25lbs of beef quite cheap.

Chuck
01-09-2011, 10:45 AM
If choosing between a doe and fawn, or a cow and a calf, always take the baby, otherwise your indirectly killing both anyways.

I think that's in the regs. also.... I've only tagged one fawn in my 50 odd years of hunting, and you know it was absolutely terrible - and that's no bs.
I've never done it again, now I always choose to pass on a doe with fawn(s) since that time.

moose2
01-09-2011, 11:45 AM
I think it all depends on time of year and sometimes the area hunted on how the meat will taste. This is what I have noticed over the years.
Any size bull moose in August or early Sept will be great ,after mid Sept it is hit and miss on these guys. Sept bull elk are OK, but big bulls at the end of Oct are terrible. Unless I thought it to be a trophy I would choose a dry cow elk any day over a bull this time of year. Every cow we have taken have been excellent no matter where or when. A farm area mule or whitetail buck is usually decent eating until the end of the season up here (peace) . I have shot big mule deer in the mountains and bush around here and the E.K. in late Nov that were not edible . A doe would have been a better meat choice on these hunts. Late Sept/early Oct bull caribou " NOT EDIBLE " what ever you do with it. Some sausage makers won't even allow it in there shops. Caribou in August are apperently OK (never tried one myself). As for shooting a fawn , or calf it would not be my personal choice. I would prefer to save my tag for something bigger. Gutting , skinning and processing all takes time. A bigger animal yeilds alot more meat with simular effort. These are just my personal opinions and I know some people may see it different than this.
Mike

Singleshotneeded
01-09-2011, 12:04 PM
I'd go with a DECENT sized animal, but I'm not bothered about it having to have a huge rack. The biggest racks make for tougher meat, and a younger but still good-sized deer or moose are better eating and still have plenty of weight to them. Besides, I've already shot my trophies and gotten that out of my system, lol...

sparkes3
01-09-2011, 12:35 PM
my trophy is meat in the freezer. first one i see gets the lead pill unless i have a buddy that hasnt harvested a big game animal then he gets first chance.
that being said if i see a cranker he is gonna get it, but i dont pass up on a animal cuz its rack is small.

wildprotien
01-09-2011, 12:38 PM
Not to sure alot of guys would pass up a big racked buck or moose because they were worried the meat would be tough.
I think its more the other way around. Guys pass up the small ones waiting for something with a little more meat on it.
That being said there is nothing wrong with shooting a spike it all looks the same wrapped and in the freezer.

Meat in the freezer, organic .... job done !!

ruger#1
01-09-2011, 12:46 PM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/ruger_1_nov_7_blacktail_005.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=16093&ppuser=699)
There wasn't anything wrong with the taste of this one. Very tender also.