PDA

View Full Version : Tanned Hide Questions?

emerson
01-08-2011, 08:13 PM
Please forgive my ignorance. If I get a bear hide tanned will it end up soft and flexible or stiff and cardboardish like the one my dad did in the yard when I was a kid. Has anyone done this? What would it cost and how did it turn out? Can't afford taxidermy and have no place for a mount, thanks.

wos
01-08-2011, 08:31 PM
soft if you ask for a dry tan

sir_brady
01-08-2011, 09:20 PM
mine cost me $400, and i dropped it with nothing done to it. the taxidermist (wildimiages) had to do the paws, lips, ears, probally had to flesh it a bit too. it also came back nice and soft. couldnt afford to have a rug made yet, but it can stay tanned till i have some cash down the road.

Gunner Staal
01-08-2011, 09:45 PM
I had one tanned and it cost me 400 bux and I did all the work myself previously. I was not impressed with the result. Was not what I had imagined. I would save your 400 for the one you want rugged out and done proper. Just my opinion.

Stone Sheep Steve
01-08-2011, 11:32 PM
Depends on the tanning process.

I've got one bear done with a Lutan(sp?) and it's fairly stiff....and have another done with Easy 100 and it's a lot softer.

Find out from your taxi or tannery what process they use.

SSS

boxhitch
01-08-2011, 11:42 PM
One major step in the home tanning process is the kneading or breaking of the hide. Easy as rubbing it over a small post top or the end of a ball bat.
hmm easy ? well, it takes some elbow and some sweat