View Full Version : spotter under 400

spear
01-08-2011, 07:49 PM
Anyone have a spotting scope under say 400.00 they are happy with
been looking at
Vortex Impact
Leupold Gold Ring Compact
Bushnell Elite Compact

Can't afford to buy one of the big guys and still actually use it to hunt, so cheap it is for the next few years anyway

Steeleco
01-08-2011, 08:06 PM
I've got my eye on this unit. http://www.leupold.com/observation/products/spotting-scopes/golden-ring-spotting-scopes/golden-ring-15-30x50mm-compact/

I've played with one at the local WSS and really like it. It's in the price range you mentioned. One more bill from Xmas to pay then I'm getting mine!!

Caveman
01-08-2011, 08:10 PM
I just picked the same one up Steelco. You won't be disappointed. I had it late deer season and spotted a nice buck at 1000 meters with it at first light. Light, nice size

fuzzy
01-09-2011, 06:38 PM
I am also in the market for an economical spotter.
How are these units for range use out to 300 meters.

thanks fuzzy

troutseeker
01-09-2011, 06:57 PM
Don't forget the Vortex Nomad 20-60X60. I bought one last year and it is good. And their no-quibble warranty is excellent.

Listed at $369 at a shop in Kelowna.

deeks1989
01-09-2011, 07:00 PM
My buddy just bought a REDFIELD for 269.00 it's not a bad scope...not a Swarvoski or anything:wink:

oneheadshot
01-09-2011, 07:17 PM
Go with the nomad

coach
01-09-2011, 07:40 PM
I know a lot of guys here love Vortex. I have an Impact and am not really impressed with it. Whatever you do, try to look through several spotters before spending your money. I suspect the Nomad is a serious upgrade from the Impact.

srupp
01-09-2011, 07:42 PM
I had a Leupold compact ..and it was not too bad..
Steven

Buck
01-09-2011, 07:52 PM
The problem with Low end glass is the loss of Sharpness and darkening at higher powers.Makes it hard to count rings or judge antlers.But todays mediocre scopes are probably quite good.
If you take your time and shop you can find some good deals.

MuleyMadness
01-09-2011, 08:07 PM
I've got my eye on this unit. http://www.leupold.com/observation/products/spotting-scopes/golden-ring-spotting-scopes/golden-ring-15-30x50mm-compact/

I've played with one at the local WSS and really like it. It's in the price range you mentioned. One more bill from Xmas to pay then I'm getting mine!!

I just picked the same one up Steelco. You won't be disappointed. I had it late deer season and spotted a nice buck at 1000 meters with it at first light. Light, nice size

I have the same unit. It's a decent quality spotter and EXCELLENT for when size and weight is an issue. No it's not a swaro, but anyone paying less than 500 better not expect one. You won't be disappointed in dollars spent vs quality of the optic imo

spear
01-09-2011, 08:30 PM
Thanks guys, lots to think about
scratch impact off the list

hotload
01-09-2011, 09:49 PM
Wow, your getting serious. Just for your info on this particular topic. When I was in the market for electronics I got a hold of Steeleco. I ended up over the course of time with a great GPS, Video Cam.,Camera, Range Finder, and this was all fast tracked to me through him because he has done all the reading and legwork to find the best of the best. To save yourself the headache of which one is better than the other, do heed Steeleco's advice. You got Twisters on the brain.

BromBones
01-09-2011, 10:02 PM
I bought an Impact a couple years ago as I wanted a decent compact spotter to truck around in my daypack & not worry about it taking abuse.

It's a good little scope, tougher than shit, decent glass, and packs up nicely in the daypack. Loses clarity above 60x, but still is useable up to 75x. I actually took it sheephunting this year and it worked plenty good.

spear
01-09-2011, 10:31 PM
Impact back on the list!! Looks like Steeleco might be getting a PM
Brom, don't you want to upgrade now and off load that impact ;)

Steeleco
01-10-2011, 02:33 AM
Awe sucks!!! I'm just a cheap SOB with a LML mortgage trying to get best bang for what bucks I do have spare. There's always better, but bang for buck, I know what I want!!!

Mtn Man
01-20-2011, 07:51 PM
anyone try the nikon prostaff 20-60 -80,? was also looking for a decent spotter, but also on a budget, 400- 600 bucks, anymore recomendations would be greatly appreciated.

wildcatter
01-20-2011, 08:01 PM
I have a Leupold fix 25x50mm that I bought a long time ago, it's compact and light, waterproof with rubbber armour.
25 power is not much these days but I still like it.

Elkaddict
01-20-2011, 08:20 PM
anyone try the nikon prostaff 20-60 -80,? was also looking for a decent spotter, but also on a budget, 400- 600 bucks, anymore recomendations would be greatly appreciated.

Check out cameralandny.com. In their Demo section they list a Minox MD 62 that comes with a 20-45X zoom eyepiece for $449.00. I wish I could say I've used one but I haven't. But,... Minox has an excellent reputation for quality optics, these scopes are a really good value ( retail for the scope body alone is about $700 and the eyepiece is another $200), and they are pretty compact if you are wanting to pack it (13" and 38 oz). They come in straight or angled, and are listed as open box, but they are actually, as I understand it, the result of an overstock issue and brand spanking new.

Like I say, I have never used one, but I think you would have a hard time beating this set up in the under $500.00 category. There are 60X power scopes out there with 60ish mm objectives, but you will find that anything over about 40X requires perfect bright light to be really useable.

Food for thought.

spear
04-18-2011, 06:59 PM
Im still looking, anyone use a nikkon spotter xl II, they look light and easy to pack, easy on the wallet too

.330 Dakota
04-18-2011, 07:35 PM

I have the Nikon Prostaff 20-60-80 and it is clearer than my buddies Leupold Sequoia by a long shot. Clear as day at 60x.
Another friend has a Zeiss and he says he doesnt see enough difference to justify the extra $1800.00 or so for the Zeiss.
However this is a BIG scope, nowhere near compact no matter how you measure it. I love it for the truck/quad, but need a smaller one for the pack.

Chiron
04-18-2011, 08:13 PM
I am also looking for a spotting scope in the same price range. I may get the Zen-Ray Ridgefield scope ($279US). I have a pair of their binos which I like.

http://www.zen-ray.com/shop/spottingscopes/ridgefield-angled.html

eastkoothunter
04-18-2011, 10:09 PM
I have the Bushnell Elite and I like it a lot. For its size and weight its an awesome scope and it gets the job done

huntcoop
04-18-2011, 10:28 PM
I have a Bausch & Lomb Elite 15-45x60. It has a straight eye piece and also has the original zippered cover that says Bausch & Lomb on the side in gold stitching.

I don't use it anymore, PM me if interested........

muledeercrazy
04-18-2011, 11:00 PM
I have the Nikon Prostaff 20-60-80 and it is clearer than my buddies Leupold Sequoia by a long shot. Clear as day at 60x.
Another friend has a Zeiss and he says he doesnt see enough difference to justify the extra $1800.00 or so for the Zeiss.
However this is a BIG scope, nowhere near compact no matter how you measure it. I love it for the truck/quad, but need a smaller one for the pack.

I cant say one way or the other how good the nikon is, but if you compared the zeiss to say a nikon in good light with no glare you proabably would not notice 1800 dollars worth of difference. On the other hand, if you looked through a nikon from dusk to dawn and i used a zeiss, and then compared results with some glare as the sun sets, and then in low light conditions i bet you would notice a huge difference. Plus, one of us would probably have alot sorer eyes.

spear
04-18-2011, 11:04 PM
Im not looking for something to compare wtih Zeiss, Swaro or Leica. Just looking for a decent, packable spotter for a reasonable price, the less I spend on it the more time I can take off work to hunt. I aprreciate all the feedback guys.

muledeercrazy
04-18-2011, 11:11 PM
http://www.birdwatching.com/optics/2009scopes_mid/chart_main.html

check out the reviews on this site, and look at the other birding sites if you need some help. They are really good with reviews on optics

I think Kowa might have something in your price range too, not sure about that. Check with Bill at Vantage Point. Personally, I would not buy any of those scopes. I would make do with what i had untill i could buy a little better. I didnt like the Leupold, and was dissapointed after a couple friends recommended it (thank god i didnt order it without trying first). The Nikon is a bit more than you said you wanted to spend, but a good choice.

Maybe keep an eye on the used equipment forum here, and at CGN. Also contact dealers and ask for deals on demo models.. Try some places in the states that might be hurting for coin. Dont pay full price for a mid level scope that you might not be happy with in the long run, imo.

I know you dont want to spend a fortune, but look at it this way. A decent spotter is worth twice what a decent scope is, approx (In the mid range of prices, not high end). A compact spotter is worth more, if you want a good one. So a 500 dollar compact spotter (leupy, say) is probably on par with a bushnell legend 3-9 rifle scope. It might be good enough for you, but hard to say for sure. On the other hand, that site i quoted likes the leupold, and gives a good value for the vortex too

Jagermeister
04-18-2011, 11:24 PM
The next time you cruise through Costco, check out their Meade 20-60X55 Zoom spotter, it's waterproof and is usually sold for around 40 bucks. The optics will match pretty much anything that sells for <$500. I have a Swaro ATS 65 HD and a Bushnell 20-50X45. The glass in the Meade is really clear, but not Swaro class, it certainly exceeds the Bushnell quality, which incidently cost ~$250.

Spitzer
04-19-2011, 07:35 AM
I have a baush & Lomb elite 15-45x60 spotter that works well for a compact spotter.

pescado
04-19-2011, 09:03 AM
I've looked through the Nikon and was impressed. Buddy uses one and spends lots of time with his and swears by them. Minox would be a good one to look at. I understand there glass comes from the same factory as Swarovski and Zeiss. The Minox rifle scopes I looked through were very clear and looked like good value.

Jagermeister
04-19-2011, 09:17 AM
I've looked through the Nikon and was impressed. Buddy uses one and spends lots of time with his and swears by them. Minox would be a good one to look at. I understand there glass comes from the same factory as Swarovski and Zeiss. The Minox rifle scopes I looked through were very clear and looked like good value.Since riflescopes are subject to shock on a regular basis, more than clarity of glass has to be considered. What could be worse than going to sight the rifle in and after pounding 10 shots downrange from your WSM, you discover no two shots are adjacent to the other? I think warranty in this case should be a big consideration as this can happen to any riflescope, but more likely in one cheaply made .