PDA

View Full Version : Burgers revenge.

chilcotin hillbilly
01-08-2011, 06:35 PM
I went out today and followed the cat which was eating off Burger and had buried him under a spruce tree. The cat circled a number of times coming within 50 yards 4 or 5 times with out us seeing it. Finally after about an hour of following the cat she finally moved out of the spruce swamp, crossed a road and moved up into the fir. I then retrieved my dogs and put them on the track, a screaming 200 yards and a heck of a ground fight as the she cougar had tried to ambush the four dog. This back fired as she lost the end of her nose in the fight. She quickly treed and I filled my tag. Something I haven't done in a long time.

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm194/skinnercreek/IMG_3369email.jpg

Cookie and Zoey are over the trauma of yesterday I think.
http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm194/skinnercreek/IMG_3362email.jpg

A revenge chew from the hounds
http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm194/skinnercreek/IMG_3379email.jpg

moose2
01-08-2011, 06:48 PM
Glad you got your hound killer. I sure like the picture of the redbone up the tree. She is working hard. Mike

Surrey Boy
01-08-2011, 06:49 PM
The world needs more guys like you. Good job on making things right, out of principle. Congratulations on filling your tag too.

pnbrock
01-08-2011, 07:04 PM
glad to hear you avenged burgers death.payback is a bitch

bear buster
01-08-2011, 07:12 PM
A small touch of revenge after your huge loss yesterday, congrats. Not many of us would ever take our dogs hunting again after something like that happend, good on ya for getting the job done.

Wild Images
01-08-2011, 07:12 PM
I was hoping you would take care of this for him, now may he rest in peace with his buddies safe

RIP Burger

tracker
01-08-2011, 07:21 PM
F 'n A .... That makes me laugh.good on ya ..good dogs :wink:

97dodge
01-08-2011, 07:39 PM
Tuff luck ,sorry to hear about burger good to see the gang got back in there to get er done wish i was there .RIP Burger .

Bear Chaser
01-08-2011, 07:46 PM
Getting a good wool in was definitely the best thing you could do for Zoey and the rest of the team.

35 Whelen
01-08-2011, 07:49 PM
Yup....I would say they are over the trauma.....looks like the bottom dog is trying to push the redbone up the tree,......LOL. Glad you avenged Burgers death.

knightcc
01-08-2011, 07:56 PM
Congrats. Nothing can replace Burger but hopefully this helps. Thanks for sharing. Great photos. Must have been intense.

mark
01-08-2011, 08:37 PM
Must of felt good to shoot that cat!

eastkoot
01-08-2011, 09:10 PM
Too bad about your dog but it's not the cats fault..Your choice to send the hounds out and the chances YOU take with your dogs lives every time you do.. I've seen them hit by trains, eaten by cats, ruined by bears, hit on the highway on their way home and also run over by the owners when excercising so it's not the cats fault.. It's a game and sometimes you loose..

BlacktailStalker
01-08-2011, 09:11 PM
Glad you killed that little bitch.

bsa30-06
01-08-2011, 09:15 PM
Revenge is sweet, sorry again about burger.

sir_brady
01-08-2011, 09:15 PM
my condolences on Burger. I was sure glad to see this post after reading about burger yesterday.

Phil
01-08-2011, 09:17 PM
Good on ya! Great story and sorry to here about your loss.

digger dogger
01-08-2011, 09:31 PM
NICE, i think Mark would be correct! I'd cut that tag aswell.
Well done!

srupp
01-08-2011, 10:20 PM
Im glad and relieved Zoey is OK...and STILL climbing trees...after such a brutal and confusing day yesterday Its good to see you out back at the great outdoors and doing what you and your wonderful dogs love doing...

be careful out there..and give my best to "the team"..

cheers

Steven

Barracuda
01-08-2011, 10:21 PM
Congrats on getting the couger that took Burger .

Although it cant make up for Burger I am sure that the taxidermied memorial on the wall will bring you to reflect ,respect and appreciate cougers and hounds more and more every time you look at it.

good job!

Muleycatcher
01-08-2011, 10:39 PM
Way to Go!!

cavebear
01-08-2011, 10:39 PM
My worst fear, my heart goes out to the pack, but good job on finishing that #itc# off.

beni
01-09-2011, 12:24 AM
Glad to see you were able to take care of that cat, RIP Mr. Burger

vortex hunter
01-09-2011, 01:44 AM
good job congrats

digger dogger
01-09-2011, 09:22 AM
In my opinion that cat should have been shot! I'm no expert but I've been told once a cat knows how to confuse the dogs they will pick them off one at a time running them in circles. Again good on for saving the rest of your pack. :-)

dana
01-09-2011, 09:47 AM
Good job on killing the dog killer. Those aggessive bitche$ need to be culled. They are the same kind that hang around neighbourhoods and chew on pets and kids. They train their offspring to do the same. Best to cut the line off at the offender.

chilcotin hillbilly
01-09-2011, 10:03 AM
Good job on killing the dog killer. Those aggessive bitche$ need to be culled. They are the same kind that hang around neighbourhoods and chew on pets and kids. They train their offspring to do the same. Best to cut the line off at the offender.

You hit the nail on the head with that statement. The deer population around here is in a rapid decline and I find the cats are hunting coyotes more and more to fill the gap. Domestic livestock and pets are usually next on the list.

Spokerider
01-09-2011, 10:04 AM
Like all animals........and people, lions each have their own personality and character. Like Doug said, this one was a mean one. This lion was destined to kill more hounds and possibly people, and perhaps had already nabbed a few pet dogs from backyards.......

Houndsmen choose to let females live, because they are interested in the conservation of the species, but when forced to choose between losing hounds and killing a mean cougar, regardless the gender, the choice is obvious.

Well done Doug.

Alpine Addict
01-09-2011, 10:17 AM
Good for you. Love seeing the dogs workin so hard

Elkhound
01-09-2011, 12:02 PM
Leave the insults alone. Or it will be dealt with a time out

NaStY
01-09-2011, 12:10 PM
Great job doing what you needed to do. Im sure the rest of the pack appreciated it...

yamadirt 426
01-09-2011, 12:17 PM
For those that say this cat was a mean bitch a got what she deserved :confused: What do you expect a cat to do. If i had a bunch of hounds after me they would be dead too. Its kinda of hard to feel bad about any of this. This wasnt a cougar that was preying on pets and kids. It was in its element living how it should. The hunter was the hunted. I dont feel bad about the dog, cougar or the houndsman. Just another view.

Fisher-Dude
01-09-2011, 12:25 PM
I've done a lot of cat hunting and have to agree with the people who say it's a risk to the dogs on every hunt. It's always sad to lose a dog, but it does happen and we should expect it. Letting the family pet on to a track can have some consequences, and if you don't think so, you're probably not properly prepared for the results. Some cats are more aggressive, but some dogs are too, and the combination can end like this.

I don't blame the cat or the dog, they are both doing what comes naturally.

dana
01-09-2011, 01:50 PM
Yea when a lion grabs a toddler it's just doing what comes natural too.:roll:

srupp
01-09-2011, 02:08 PM
Interesting replies.....looking at all sides of this tradgic event..

I do note Doug never had any dispariging comments about the cougar...the original post was straightforward about the loss of his beloved dog...sometimes unfortunatley the cat wins...more than just the times they escape..a true friend is lost...

BUT once they learn to kill dogs..they do not in fact stop..the events of Lynes Creek 2 years ago and this years mounting lossess @ 150 Miles house demonstrate this .

I respect the way Doug has reported these events and how he took care of the problem cat..not just for his dogs but for the rest of the pet dogs that inhabit his neighborhood who likely would have been next

These are the APEX preditors, smart, cunning, stealthy and have the ability to learn from their mistakes and successes...following in several cats footprints watching how they covered the ground in the quitests ambush method possible...mesmorizing...

Still hope to get out again this winter to look for a big tom...

be safe Doug...and the team..

best lof luck

Steven

SHAKER
01-09-2011, 02:34 PM
Good job! Noth'n worse then a hound killer. If them nasty old bags would just tree up like their supposed to, then it wouldn't have to come to bullet. Nice look'n walker have'n a chew.

chilcotin hillbilly
01-09-2011, 02:39 PM
Good job! Noth'n worse then a hound killer. If them nasty old bags would just tree up like their supposed to, then it wouldn't have to come to bullet. Nice look'n walker have'n a chew.

Zoey is really coming on Shaker. She might suffer the same fate as the last dog as she fell 20ft out of a tree last week.

r106
01-09-2011, 02:44 PM
Interesting replies.....looking at all sides of this tradgic event..

I do note Doug never had any dispariging comments about the cougar...the original post was straightforward about the loss of his beloved dog...sometimes unfortunatley the cat wins...more than just the times they escape..a true friend is lost...

BUT once they learn to kill dogs..they do not in fact stop..the events of Lynes Creek 2 years ago and this years mounting lossess @ 150 Miles house demonstrate this .

I respect the way Doug has reported these events and how he took care of the problem cat..not just for his dogs but for the rest of the pet dogs that inhabit his neighborhood who likely would have been next

These are the APEX preditors, smart, cunning, stealthy and have the ability to learn from their mistakes and successes...following in several cats footprints watching how they covered the ground in the quitests ambush method possible...mesmorizing...

Still hope to get out again this winter to look for a big tom...

be safe Doug...and the team..

best lof luck

Steven

Exactlly right.

rocksteady
01-09-2011, 02:54 PM
Ouch...That nose wound has to sting a bit!!!!

Nice cat...too bad she turned into a hound killer, she would have provided excercise, excitement and adventure for years to come for doggers...

SHAKER
01-09-2011, 11:23 PM
Told'ya I had some cazy ass hounds........ 20 feet...... she shouldn't mis a beat! I don't like lazy dogs. Glad she's got some grit.:twisted: I had a really nice track worked out today and got pushed off of it by the local guide. Really sucks cause I'm try'n to get my dad his first cat. Classic case of nice guys finish last! Gloves are off now........... Story to be continued................

SHAKER
01-09-2011, 11:27 PM
Ouch...That nose wound has to sting a bit!!!!

Nice cat...too bad she turned into a hound killer, she would have provided excercise, excitement and adventure for years to come for doggers...

They make a synthetic nose for them...... She'll look just fine. She's dead now and won't be hurt'n any other hounds.... good on ya!

luckynuts
01-10-2011, 09:16 AM
Sorry for your loss HillBilly. Glad to hear it ended with no more dogs lost. Hopefully Zoey makes a full recovery.

W.

wildcatter
01-11-2011, 12:37 PM
Not sure if you guys aware of the asshat posting on craigslist about cougar hunting, specifically this post, he/she must be checking out our site.
http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/van/rnr/2151048897.html

35 Whelen
01-11-2011, 01:17 PM
Exactly what I have been warning about......we are NOT the only ones on these forums. We end up looking like morons when we fight amongst ourselves and argue the most trivial of points. Speaking to each other in such a tone and manner that would get us a bloody nose if we spoke like this to each other in the street.

These are just the type of forums the anti's will monitor and we need a unified front if we want changes to happen in regulations and conservation.
So keep it civil if you have a problem with someone's post.

budismyhorse
01-11-2011, 02:07 PM
Exactly what I have been warning about......we are NOT the only ones on these forums. We end up looking like morons when we fight amongst ourselves and argue the most trivial of points. Speaking to each other in such a tone and manner that would get us a bloody nose if we spoke like this to each other in the street.

These are just the type of forums the anti's will monitor and we need a unified front if we want changes to happen in regulations and conservation.
So keep it civil if you have a problem with someone's post.

I'm not exactly sure what you are saying here?????

What do you think is worse for hunting:

Hunters arguing and talking "uncivil" towards fellow hunters?

or the original intent of this thread about exacting "revenge" on an animal?

because the later is what the Craigslist poster finds offensive.

Surrey Boy
01-11-2011, 02:16 PM
Not sure if you guys aware of the asshat posting on craigslist about cougar hunting, specifically this post, he/she must be checking out our site.
http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/van/rnr/2151048897.html

For every teenage bimbo that's crying to her counsellor about this, there's another guy who thinks "Cool, you can do that here?"

The best thing to do is, as Gatehouse keeps saying, be proud to be a hunter and always have an answer ready.

Glassman
01-11-2011, 02:25 PM
Just wondering. Is it ok to let 3 or 4 dogs chase a Moose down until it stops running and then shoot it and then have the dogs chew the heck out of it? As I said, just wondering. I don't see the sport in that.
Now if a guy hunts cats by stalking or tree stands or whatever other way we use to hunt deer/moose etc..........that might be more sporting.

Surrey Boy
01-11-2011, 02:29 PM
Just wondering. Is it ok to let 3 or 4 dogs chase a Moose down until it stops running and then shoot it and then have the dogs chew the heck out of it? As I said, just wondering. I don't see the sport in that.
Now if a guy hunts cats by stalking or tree stands or whatever other way we use to hunt deer/moose etc..........that might be more sporting.

Training and keeping hounds is a feat in itself. Even if they're doing the hunting, there's plenty of sportsmanship involved.

Some guys race hotrods, some guys build them.
Some women sew clothes, some wear them, some take them off. There's appreciable talent at each step.

SHAKER
01-11-2011, 03:01 PM

LOL......... First off read your regs, you can't hunt Moose without your dog being leashed. Second taking a cat from a tree stand or stocking is a little irresponsible ... it would be very difficult to possitivly identify the cat as a male or female and could easily lead to a female with young be harvested. That could have serious fall out cause she might have kittens stashed away and they will starve without her or she might have juviniles in the area that she's teaching to hunt. If she's harvested them young cats could end up searching out their own territory and end up getting into human conflicts, little dogs and house cats are pretty easy food as well as young kids playing in the back yard. Third and no offence, you won't understand till you've actually been on a cougar hunt to fully know how truely difficult it can be! and a dog chew is always rewarded to the successful team when the jobs done. Always has and always will regardless of opinions of those who arn't familiar with this type of hunting. I do agree that the "chew" picture might have been a little graphic to be out in public. Note them dogs shouldn't put any holes in that hide either. They're just getting their last licks in before the new owner takes over. It's just the way it is! Hope this help clairify things a bit.

gREEn7o0
01-11-2011, 03:21 PM
I'm sorry for the loss of your family member.
I'm glad you were able to avenge his demise.
An eye for an eye.

35 Whelen
01-11-2011, 04:57 PM
I'm not exactly sure what you are saying here?????

What do you think is worse for hunting:

Hunters arguing and talking "uncivil" towards fellow hunters?

or the original intent of this thread about exacting "revenge" on an animal?

because the later is what the Craigslist poster finds offensive.

It's the OPTICS of ALL of it. The petty shots taken at other members, and some of the posts that others ( reads non hunting general public ) might find offensive. I am just saying we have to be careful that is all......I dont want to worry about every little thing we post and who it might offend, but sometimes the bickering and cheap shots we take at each other is pretty sad. And once in a while we should maybe just take a minute and ask ourselves before posting our pics, is this ammo for the anti's out there. Nothing wrong with trophy pics but some need to be edited once in a while, as they have been in the past, where it was deemed in bad taste perhaps. We as hunters know that killing an animal involves blood and guts, but the general public just doesn't get to see that everyday and they find it a bit shocking. I know it's reality, but those not brought up on it just don't see our point nor do they see our zeal for the outdoors and hunting.

wizzum-lvr
01-11-2011, 05:26 PM
Yea when a lion grabs a toddler it's just doing what comes natural too.:roll:

Wow...seriously...comparing a dog to a toddler......your probably one of those people that refers to their pets as their kids.:roll:

Congratulations on the cougar, its a nice trophy, but the pic with the dogs chewing it, and the whole thing about calling it revenge should have been kept out. I would have felt the same if I was in your shoes, and I would have felt the same after shooting that cougar, but I would have left those parts out of the thread. It only fuels the fire for the ignorant anti-hunters who already paint us all with the same brush.

Once again congrats on a nice cougar.:-D

Glassman
01-11-2011, 05:46 PM
LOL......... First off read your regs, you can't hunt Moose without your dog being leashed. Second taking a cat from a tree stand or stocking is a little irresponsible ... it would be very difficult to possitivly identify the cat as a male or female and could easily lead to a female with young be harvested. That could have serious fall out cause she might have kittens stashed away and they will starve without her or she might have juviniles in the area that she's teaching to hunt. If she's harvested them young cats could end up searching out their own territory and end up getting into human conflicts, little dogs and house cats are pretty easy food as well as young kids playing in the back yard. Third and no offence, you won't understand till you've actually been on a cougar hunt to fully know how truely difficult it can be! and a dog chew is always rewarded to the successful team when the jobs done. Always has and always will regardless of opinions of those who arn't familiar with this type of hunting. I do agree that the "chew" picture might have been a little graphic to be out in public. Note them dogs shouldn't put any holes in that hide either. They're just getting their last licks in before the new owner takes over. It's just the way it is! Hope this help clairify things a bit.
-----------------------------------
I know the rules about chasing Moose/Deer etc with dogs and that they have to be on a leash. And that's my point, if you can't chase Moose with dogs why should you do it with Cats. But hey thats my opinion. You got yours and I got mine. I don't see the sport. To me it's like fox chasing or bull fighting. A real hunt would be to stalk Cat, identify sex and shoot.
On flip side, I never thought about that it is easier to check the sex when it's up a tree. I have a dog(border collee shepherd mix) & 4 house cats. 3 females and 1 male. From 20' back the boys and girls look pretty darn close. The boy a little thicker in the shoulders. I also reward them with a good chew.
I just thought of something. When I go firewood cutting I bring the dog along and also the rifle. The dog sits beside or in the truck as I cut. Because the rifle is handy and the dog may not be on a leash, would I be in trouble with mister game warden if he happened to come by?
By the way, pictures did not bug me.

finngun
01-11-2011, 07:46 PM
for me..this is hunting forum...what ya expect?
real hunting pictures-stories--blood ...yes normal
hunting stuff.
why we can't show it ..as it is ?if somebody dosen't wanna see it....no need to look..
and this--revenge- story..great story..sad story good dog lost,again nothing but normal cougar 'acting' --feel sorry lost of burger..
i think this kind of stories-pictures are part of educating city people,who sadly are growing a way from natures way.
just my opinion..no off...anybody

lorneparker1
01-11-2011, 07:47 PM

Go on a cat hunt. I dare you. Anyone can feed a deer, climb into a tree stand, and shoot one. not everyone can chase 5 dogs through the WORST terrain ever, for MILES chasin a 150 pound cat. and the chances are 50/50 at best that you can tree the cat, its nota female, and shoot it. Let alone all the time and effort and money it takes to have 5 hounds.

Im not saying which is more sporting as i refuse to look upon any type of "legal" hunting as superior. When we split we loose.

Lorne

Barracuda
01-11-2011, 07:54 PM
obviously you look on hunting with dogs as an unfair advantage which probably says that you have never raised a hunting dog nor bothered putting the effort into them to get one to hunt for you. (wont even talk about the money).

I feel sorry for you that you have never experianced hunting with the partnership of a dog or dogs as it is truly a rewarding experiance and one of the oldest means of hunting known to man.

dana
01-11-2011, 08:03 PM
Wow...seriously...comparing a dog to a toddler......your probably one of those people that refers to their pets as their kids.:roll:

Congratulations on the cougar, its a nice trophy, but the pic with the dogs chewing it, and the whole thing about calling it revenge should have been kept out. I would have felt the same if I was in your shoes, and I would have felt the same after shooting that cougar, but I would have left those parts out of the thread. It only fuels the fire for the ignorant anti-hunters who already paint us all with the same brush.

Once again congrats on a nice cougar.:-D

Nope, my dogs are just that, dogs. I call only my kids my kids. What you obviously missed is my previous post higher up in the thread. Go read that and you might grasp my last comment. A dog killer lioness for the most part is a lion that has a very bad attitude and those typically are the same lions that do in fact live around neighborhoods grabbing pets and yes, even toddlers. Been numerous recent news stories the last few years in this province where that indeed has happened. So nipping it in the bud and killing the female when she has killed a hound is a GOOD thing for the health and safety of others.

SHAKER
01-11-2011, 09:47 PM
-----------------------------------
I know the rules about chasing Moose/Deer etc with dogs and that they have to be on a leash. And that's my point, if you can't chase Moose with dogs why should you do it with Cats. But hey thats my opinion. You got yours and I got mine. I don't see the sport. To me it's like fox chasing or bull fighting. A real hunt would be to stalk Cat, identify sex and shoot.
On flip side, I never thought about that it is easier to check the sex when it's up a tree. I have a dog(border collee shepherd mix) & 4 house cats. 3 females and 1 male. From 20' back the boys and girls look pretty darn close. The boy a little thicker in the shoulders. I also reward them with a good chew.
I just thought of something. When I go firewood cutting I bring the dog along and also the rifle. The dog sits beside or in the truck as I cut. Because the rifle is handy and the dog may not be on a leash, would I be in trouble with mister game warden if he happened to come by?
By the way, pictures did not bug me.

If you don't see the sport then you should maybe see the challenge. This isn't like hunt'n pheasants with a pointer (not that theirs anything wrong with that), Cat hunt'n in general is a tough, demanding and sometimes dangerous hunt no matter who wins at the end of the day. If you think you can stalk a Cougar by all means I'll tip my hat to you anyday, that would be a serious accomplishment. Like I said in my first post though, ID on your target could be very difficult work'n eye level with such an great predator.
The legal question...... No unless your dog was activly chase'n deer and not under your supervision. I know I won't change your opinion on this but maybe I can help at the very least educate you a little on what we do a little more. Like I say if I didn't learn something new today then I guess today was a waste!

fowlweather
01-19-2011, 08:39 PM
guys i dont understand while you guys are happy about revenge, i am happy you filled your tag but what i dont understand is you make the cougar appear as evil, what is a cougar supposed to do when it is cornered by dogs and when it is armed as a predator with claws and teeth? but i dont want this to backfire so good job anyway, but try next time to make the animal not seem evil. it goes off instinct and should be treated with the respect it deserves, sad about your dog though

leadpillproductions
01-19-2011, 09:05 PM
good on you forgetting the killer cat

SHAKER
01-19-2011, 09:56 PM
guys i dont understand while you guys are happy about revenge, i am happy you filled your tag but what i dont understand is you make the cougar appear as evil, what is a cougar supposed to do when it is cornered by dogs and when it is armed as a predator with claws and teeth? but i dont want this to backfire so good job anyway, but try next time to make the animal not seem evil. it goes off instinct and should be treated with the respect it deserves, sad about your dog though

Not speaking for CHB but I'm pretty sure he's not happy about having to tag a female cougar and hound hunters truely love their critters they pursue. I don't know a hound hunter yet that thinks of cougar or any other predator as an evil critter, but when things go sideways then sometimes you have to do the right thing. If that cat had done what 99% of them usually do then she'd still be walk'n today, but kill'n one hound and taken on a whole pack the next time is a dangerous animal pure and simple. I'm sure she had the moocho respect the second time she got chased. Sorry guy.

leadpillproductions
01-19-2011, 10:11 PM
wow i just desided to check the tread out again , man did this one go side ways .

horshur
01-19-2011, 11:10 PM
you all know the truth about houndoggers:twisted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrgpZ0fUixs&feature=player_embedded

Barracuda
01-19-2011, 11:26 PM
classic :lol::lol::lol:

scorch
01-20-2011, 04:20 PM
The old saying " walk a mile in the other mans shoes" really applies when we disrespect another persons legal hunting method. In CHBs case I'm sure it is several miles on foot one would have to cover. By the way, thanks for the posts CHB I'm sure some of it was painful to write it down. It would be difficult to not take it a bit personal losing a dog that way. Reading the story I did not get the impression CHB thought the cat was evil.
To get an idea of what it takes to be a houndsman I had an opportunity to read a book called "Treed Beyond The River" by Karle Granlund.
The book may not change an individuals mind about fair chase and hounds but the reader will most certainly understand hunting with hounds better. I'm not plugging the book but do believe knowledge and an open mind are a most powerful tool.
An old fellow once told a friend of mine that no matter where he had hunted on the planet the heart of the hunter is the same I believe he was trying to say we hunters are not as different from each other as we might like to think.
On the point of the dogs being shown having a chew on kitty , if we believe hiding what we do as hunters will get non hunters and activists off our backs we are being naive. One way or another the general public will end up seeing these kinds of photos. Educating the general public about the whys and hows of hunting? this is what I believe we need to do but how to educate the public about hunting is the real question, I wish I knew the answer of how to achieve that.
My apologies for babbling on.