PDA

View Full Version : Game in small river bottoms/valleys??

emerson
01-08-2011, 01:32 PM
In those brushy swampy river bottoms and steep sidehills that are not vehicle accessible and difficult walking; is the game in there year round? Especially in hunting season when quads and trucks are everywhere they can go and these seeming refuges are ringed by busy roads? I have time but not toys or a large fuel budget and don't want to use the time unwisely.

mark
01-08-2011, 01:37 PM
In those brushy swampy river bottoms and steep sidehills that are not vehicle accessible and difficult walking; is the game in there year round? Especially in hunting season when quads and trucks are everywhere they can go and these seeming refuges are ringed by busy roads? I have time but not toys or a large fuel budget and don't want to use the time unwisely.

Only way to know for sure is to go for a hike and find out for yourself!

You dont need to see the critters, just the tracks!

snowhunter
01-08-2011, 02:19 PM
Yes, there are often deer in those places. However, getting to them is next to impossible. They will hear you and run, long before you can spot them.

Throwing rock into those impossible places sometimes spook them out into the open, or at least make them move, and thus easier to spot.

Also, after crawling around those swampy and slimy places makes you, and your clothes stink, which your wife and children will tell you, when you come back home from such a hunt :)

quadrakid
01-08-2011, 03:59 PM
Lots of nasty little spots everybody drives by do hold critters,fact is the percentage of hunters that get out of their trucks for anything more than a leak is quite small so hiking anywhere ups your odds.

CanuckShooter
01-09-2011, 07:45 AM
Find the game trails....they all use them....find a place where they converge...they all use them...and then hang a tree stand...Use a Summit Viper...setting up a ladder stand also works. You'll find that when your area is chock full with atvs and other hunters that these spots will be prime producers.

hunter1947
01-09-2011, 08:02 AM
I have taken some of my bigger island deer right down near the river bottom..

emerson
01-09-2011, 04:57 PM
Well it sounds like I will be a bushwackin fool next fall. The area is close and of course it isn't crowded. So, I need to stalk like a bow hunter with longer range shooter. I will appreciate and apply any other useful comments from experience. Thanks.