PDA

View Full Version : Can ducks and geese be stalked?

Stéphane
01-08-2011, 11:18 AM
I was wondering if anyone has ever been successful sneaking up to these birds to shoot them. I go to a place on a regular basis and I tried a few times to get close to the ducks and geese. Recently, I was even able to shoot at some (missed), but they were within my bow range. I don't have a blind nor decoys and I was hoping to get a few at some point in time.

So, can it be done?

porcupine
01-08-2011, 11:27 AM
Done it lots of times, sometimes successfully.

Bow Walker
01-08-2011, 04:59 PM
Gotta be done with lots of cover between you and "Donald" - and it's gotta be done slowly and with a lot of patience!

BillyBull
01-08-2011, 05:11 PM
Did this many a time in the Okanagan puddles and small lakes.... need to be very slow and patience and have cover to get to within a good range... however, I was also using a 16ga with the father-inlaw teaching me the sneek and blast techniqure and a great lab retriever.

cooterdog
04-12-2011, 04:49 PM
Many many years on the island at high tide. With a longbow and compound!

buck nash
04-12-2011, 06:22 PM
It's often not too hard at all to get them this way. Certainly cheaper to set up. I've also had some luck drifting in to a flock while laying down in my kayak, then sitting up and blasting away once i'm in close.

fowlweather
04-12-2011, 06:49 PM
you need to have kids or a two man team one flushes and they all fly the other way, or have a kid go prone and crawl the whole way through mud and water and get him to flush and shoot along with you being on the other side. whatever you do think about what they will do and which way they would go

Bucks&Ducks
04-12-2011, 07:02 PM
If you are hunting in place with raised dykes you can spot them from a distance with binos and walk along the ditch on the other side of the dyke. when you get to within range on the other side of the dyke climb over and you might get a shot.

gunnie2008
07-15-2011, 09:01 AM
I was wondering if anyone has ever been successful sneaking up to these birds to shoot them. I go to a place on a regular basis and I tried a few times to get close to the ducks and geese. Recently, I was even able to shoot at some (missed), but they were within my bow range. I don't have a blind nor decoys and I was hoping to get a few at some point in time.

So, can it be done?

U Betcha Done it.
With Bow
Some years Back I Bought a Ghillie Suit from Cabela's made by Rancho Safari , called Shaggy.
Has worked Great for sneaking up on waterfowl or any game.

I would normally use. 4 teal , 4 widgeon, 6 mallard, 4 pintail, 4 wood duck, 2 Canada geese in my spread. Bought from Cabela's.

Haven't limited out by bow, 2 to 4 at most in a day for puddle ducks. snuck n plugged hand full of Canada's . but quite a few dumb mud hens thou. ( coots are great for practicing and then gave them to my Asian Neighbor who likes coots.) mostly hunted Pitt Marsh / Pitt River or Brunswick fore shore.
Imagine 3000+ Snow's screaming above you just 30 yd's up n you trying to concentrate on one with a bow. Pick the Older one n the grays will almost land on you. (I have lost a arrow'd snow goose / Canada goose) that flew or swam off with my arrow. 2x Oops. ( goose was picked up by another hunter by punt. did return my arrow. ) but he kept the goose. a**h**e.

I Used early 80's Oneida Eagle w/ traditional wood arrows Flu Flu's w glue on drilled tips w spikes or glue on zwiki's. wood is less costly when u lose in them in the tall grass n cattails. ( Be prepared to lose as many arrows as you can afford to lose. ) I bought 6 dozen wood arrows back in the 80's for waterfowl. none left. Yes Missed more than I've Hit, Half the fun was Sneaking up on them and having fun trying, bonus retrieve them.

You can make a foam disc n have someone toss it while you ready your shot, and a few helium balloon's on a string. or jack in a box style with trip wire.
Practice is key Practice is fun

Since I moved to Prince George Bow not used as often as I'd like to
Waterfowl here not as plentiful as the lower main land.
Do Practice 3D on property. Itching for Bow season start here in PG.

Hope this Helps you out.
Just Do It
Stephane

MB_Boy
07-15-2011, 09:06 AM
Gotta be done with lots of cover between you and "Donald" - and it's gotta be done slowly and with a lot of patience!

and you need to be VERY, VERY quiet!

http://images.spiderpaws.com/looney/images/elm6.jpg

In all honesty though.....yes it can be done. You need some decent cover. I used to do it all the time hunting for geese and ducks back in Manitoba in marsh/dyke areas.