PDA

View Full Version : My 2010 Season!

whitetailsheds
01-08-2011, 09:28 AM
2010 was a year with a couple first's.
One of which means so much to me....one of my daughters got her CORE and first deer license's. We were set for whitetails and mulies.
We hit the range, and she hit the paper.....better than I with the neighbor's .243. Thanks Christie!

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc97/whitetailsheds/IMG_1685.jpg
By the time the paperwork was all said and done we had only the last day to hunt.
I had a buck in mind for her. Several bucks had posed for our trailcams. But this is the one that I hoped showed up......

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc97/whitetailsheds/MDGC0022.jpg

We hunted the day, and during the last few minutes, a nice spike whitetail came out at 100 yards. I gave Abbey the nod. She could take the buck if she wanted, of which, she said she'd like to.
Just like the range, she was all set......only this time, something happened that didn't at the range....she started shaking!
She made the right call, and said she didn't feel comfortable with the shot.
She had got this far with my guidance and encouragement, I wasn't going to push her now to do something she didn't want to.... and I approved her not taking the risk.
She has since asked what else there is to hunt now, and feels coyotes and wolves would be "do-able". And her eyes got bigger when I told her bear opens in April......hunting changed for me in 2010.
Aside from that, the other first was not going for Stones this year, and starting to chase bighorns. A trip south proved unsuccessful in terms of horns, but the process is started for getting to know an area.
Rewind to September, I was able to fill the freezer with an elk. I went to a new area as my old honeyhole was pretty quiet.
Within 1/2 hour this guy came to cow calls without a peep. Only a twig snapping, let me know he was there.......

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc97/whitetailsheds/2010elk-3.jpg

During a moose hunt, ended up calling 3 wolves in to 25 yards. Got one anyway.....

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc97/whitetailsheds/P9191009.jpg

And another highlite was helping an Alberta buddy bring out his bowkill moose. He had several bulls going, but a young bull that was coming in disappeared into a gully. Temporarily losing sight of the bull he knew the bull was coming and it was going to be close. What came out of the gully surprised him. He took this bull at 5 yards..........

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc97/whitetailsheds/IMG_0274.jpg

ThinAir
01-08-2011, 09:38 AM
Awesome pics and story!

I love the shed holding up the moose... cooler than just a stick!:-D

whitetailsheds
01-08-2011, 09:42 AM
Awesome pics and story!

I love the shed holding up the moose... cooler than just a stick!:-D

LOL....actually there is more to it. He picked that shed up on the way to where the bulls were. He raked with it........lucky shed!

yama49
01-08-2011, 09:44 AM
Congrats on your new hunting partner, good luck on the bighorn quest..

KB90
01-08-2011, 10:28 AM
Awesome Wolf Grant!

No fraser scenery pics :)

The Hermit
01-08-2011, 10:33 AM
Thats a fantastic moose and an excellent picture!!! I'd get that one framed for him!

Was your daughter shaking with buck fever or because she didn't want to shoot the nice deer?

Duk Dog
01-08-2011, 11:16 AM
Congrats on a fine season. Great that your daughter is interested in hunting.

kennyj
01-08-2011, 02:22 PM
Great season Grant. Nice to get your daughter out there. My youngest daughter is excited about bear hunting as well. She wants a bear more than anything else. Happy new year.
kenny

whitetailsheds
01-08-2011, 02:37 PM
Thats a fantastic moose and an excellent picture!!! I'd get that one framed for him!

Was your daughter shaking with buck fever or because she didn't want to shoot the nice deer?

Buck fever set in......she wanted to get her first critter. She tried a couple times to get her breathing in check, but just couldn't get it under control. I gave her all the positives in the world for making the right call.
I know she'll come back with even more resolve......

The Hermit
01-08-2011, 02:42 PM
Buck fever set in......she wanted to get her first critter. She tried a couple times to get her breathing in check, but just couldn't get it under control. I gave her all the positives in the world for making the right call.
I know she'll come back with even more resolve......

That is great!! My daughter is 26 now... I'm still working on her! LOL

Bighorn hunter
01-08-2011, 05:17 PM
Great season G!!! Just remember it took me and Mart 6 years down there before we nailed our first bighorn.

Cheers
BH

whitetailsheds
01-08-2011, 05:37 PM
[QUOTE=Bighorn hunter;828367]Great season G!!! Just remember it took me and Mart 6 years down there before we nailed our first bighorn.
Cheers
BH[/QUOTE

Now I'm pumped......taking 14 trips over 17 years for the first Stones, 6 is a cakewalk.....LOL.......

dana
01-08-2011, 05:40 PM
It seems girls are a little bit more patient than boys. It takes some time but when everything is right, she'll get r done.

Congrats on what looks to be a super season. I love the look of that wolf. Looks to have a big head.

Deaddog
01-08-2011, 05:58 PM
looks like another great season!! congrats and thanks for sharing.. DD

savagecanuck
01-08-2011, 06:08 PM
Thanks for sharing the pics.Love that moose with the bow,5 yrds out must have been freaky something that big right in front of you

Rattler
01-08-2011, 06:38 PM
Great pics and thanks for sharing. Good on your daughter for not taking that shot.

Wild Images
01-08-2011, 07:16 PM
Bet it doesn't take the young lady 17 years to get her 1st Stone :-DWhen she does Old man the mount is on me

WI

whitetailsheds
01-08-2011, 08:45 PM
Bet it doesn't take the young lady 17 years to get her 1st Stone :-DWhen she does Old man the mount is on me
WI

Holy Fack Ken......I"M NOT OLD!!!!!!!!!
You may have just created some hunting plans for me this fall.......:-D

hunter1947
01-09-2011, 04:01 AM
Nice animals you got last year ,nice to see your daughter out with you ,that looks like a big wolf you got in the picture did you get the skull measured ???..

Wild Images
01-09-2011, 04:57 AM
Holy Fack Ken......I"M NOT OLD!!!!!!!!!
You may have just created some hunting plans for me this fall.......:-D

You started it, lets see you finish it :twisted:

RAMIFICATION
01-13-2011, 09:39 AM
What kind of call did the wolf come in to?

luckynuts
01-13-2011, 10:34 AM
Right on Grant,

Was wondering if she got it in time. Glad to see you both made it out only if it was for the last day. Good on her to know her limitations, give the teacher a pat on the back. Liam did the same thing on a great 6' spring blackie at 60yds. I'm telling him anytime you are ready drop him. Next thing he lowers the gun turns to me and says Dad i'm to excited:-D Those moments make you proud and also let you reflect back to the last time you got excited. She'll be out shooting you in no time:-D.

W.

whitetailsheds
01-13-2011, 05:28 PM
What kind of call did the wolf come in to?

Over the last several years, moose calls have been bringing in these guys. Howling on a slow moose morning has worked as well. Not getting any moose going? Change it up and try calling these guys.....howling has produced.

whitetailsheds
01-13-2011, 05:30 PM
Right on Grant,

Was wondering if she got it in time. Glad to see you both made it out only if it was for the last day. Good on her to know her limitations, give the teacher a pat on the back. Liam did the same thing on a great 6' spring blackie at 60yds. I'm telling him anytime you are ready drop him. Next thing he lowers the gun turns to me and says Dad i'm to excited:-D Those moments make you proud and also let you reflect back to the last time you got excited. She'll be out shooting you in no time:-D.

W.

Thanks Wade! Like I said at the beginning, the rest of my hunting career has changed. Now the oldest daughter wants to take the CORE, and has 4 of her girlfriends going as well! UNREAL!!!!!
How old are your boys? I don't know if I can afford all this....LOL.........

luckynuts
01-14-2011, 09:26 AM
Thanks Wade! Like I said at the beginning, the rest of my hunting career has changed. Now the oldest daughter wants to take the CORE, and has 4 of her girlfriends going as well! UNREAL!!!!!
How old are your boys? I don't know if I can afford all this....LOL.........

Liam will be taking his core this year. Let me know the dates maybe they can take it together. Pretty awesome that they both want it now. The expense is right! sheep hunts and full body mounts = $$$$$$$:tongue:

W.