PDA

View Full Version : spring island black bear

bigredchev
01-08-2011, 07:45 AM
me and a buddy are heading out to the island sometime in april/march to do a spring black bear hunt in the port alberni/bamfield area and advice or tips for the area and could anyone recommend a good butcher in the area?

We've got 2 trucks, 2-4 guys not new to hunting but dont hunt much on the island. We plan on tenting it.

Cheers

Bod
01-08-2011, 08:23 AM
Hold off on the March thing, until at least April 1st. They will be open then. April first is a little early for prime time imho, but there are always some bears around. Hunting low in the river valleys or ocean beaches would be my choice early

sarg
01-08-2011, 10:40 AM
i've always got my spring bear mid to late may every year and i start hunting bear april 1.

Steeleco
01-08-2011, 10:42 AM
With the extensive snow we're supposed to be getting, later rather than sooner is likely the way things will work out.

5 spike
01-08-2011, 10:59 AM
may is always a great month to hunt bear. can hardly wait.

Gateholio
02-08-2011, 11:37 PM
End of April/Early May is prime time for big boars, IMHO:-D

Moosehunter64
02-09-2011, 12:02 AM
Just about anywhere you go around Port Alberni or Bamfield area has bears.Haven`t had a lot of snow so if this trend continues the bears could be out early.Namint lake area can be good if the snow is gone and the lake has a good campsite on it I have always seen bears around nahmint lake but sarita and Bamfield area are good also and sarita lake and bamfield area have lots of camping spots around.I am not a bear hunter but there are quite a few bears around here,Heck they walk down my street once in awhile,LOL.And yes Double R meats is a good place to go.

BiG Boar
02-09-2011, 01:10 AM
I would wait till may also. March is definitley too soon.

Marc
02-09-2011, 06:09 AM
I find that bears shot to early in the season do not taste as good as the one that have had a chance to get on some vegetation and clear their system after hibernation. I usually don't ever head out until May when I know I'll see good numbers of bears out.

island grown
02-09-2011, 08:39 AM
When you guys decide on a time your going to go, send me a PM and we'll chat.
Cheers

lilhoss
02-09-2011, 08:46 AM
x2,x3- wait until May to make your trip worth while.More grass and greens on the higher elevations and if we have any more late season snows,access to some areas can be very limited due to deep snow.Best time I find is mid-May until the ender in mid-June.Good luck.

steel_ram
02-11-2011, 11:15 AM
Mothers day for some reason always seems to be good, but don't PO the wife or mom.
There is no special talent to getting a good BB on the Island. A general idea of where to go, ability to let the little ones go and a bottomless gas tank helps.

lorneparker1
02-11-2011, 04:00 PM
shootem on the upslope!

Bow Walker
02-11-2011, 07:56 PM
shootem on the upslope!
Now that's probably the best advice that can be given. :wink:

Trapper D
03-29-2011, 04:04 PM
anybody here on the island doing an opening day black bear hunt? ive been out and about once a week in the salmon river area, seen tracks close to home, and in the brewster lake area , but nothing where i like to hunt, gettin antsy, 3 more sleeps

Trapper D
03-29-2011, 06:16 PM
im heading out , as the heaters on in the camper, warmin er up. the waits been to long 31st im outa hear, kids back in school its all good

Trapper D
04-04-2011, 01:52 PM
well not even a scat, nor a foot print. but had fun, had a newbie with me . We did catch a couple of nice cutties though, they were nice size too. The skunk cabbage has emerged in most parts where I was looking. What else are the bears eating in early spring ?

Trapper D
04-05-2011, 05:52 PM
ive been out every day since the first and havent even seen a crap, ive been scouting out as many skunk cabbage carrying bogs and swamps, checking as many stream beds coming from the mountains. stopping at ponds that are holding frogs , and circling them , notta. even spot checking a dead cow . not even a foot print. gettin pricy with the gas prices these days. anybody seen anything lately?

moosinaround
04-05-2011, 06:15 PM
ive been out every day since the first and havent even seen a crap, ive been scouting out as many skunk cabbage carrying bogs and swamps, checking as many stream beds coming from the mountains. stopping at ponds that are holding frogs , and circling them , notta. even spot checking a dead cow . not even a foot print. gettin pricy with the gas prices these days. anybody seen anything lately?
Patient grasshopper, patient!!! The buggers will be out soon!! Chompin at the bit eh!! Good for ya!! Never wasted gas getting out to nature!! Good hunting!! Moosin

bigredchev
04-10-2011, 11:14 AM
so we're still interested just hatching dates out now. Thinking either easter weekend for the 4 days off or may 6-7 for the hunt. Good to know they havent come out yet and are waiting for us.