PDA

View Full Version : Duckk lingo

sixpoint
01-07-2011, 11:12 PM
I was out back 10mins ago and could hear mallards calling. Do they always do this at nite? Im a newbie at this so I have no idea. Im planing on goin out tomorow morning but do not know weather to go to the flooded corn field or the slough. Its gettin cold duno if its gona freeze or not, it seems like a gamble. What do you think?

longshot
01-08-2011, 12:33 AM
Tough call. We hunted a snowed over frozen to the bone corn field in that snowy period we had and it was mallards upon mallards!!

But MOST (not all) of the time it seems like the birds hit the open water when things are frozen up. So generally, my first pick of spot in a cold snap is a larger body of water.

GOOD LUCK!! Longshot jr.

Spy
01-08-2011, 12:48 AM
[QUOTE=sixpoint;827830]I was out back 10mins ago and could hear mallards calling. Do they always do this at nite?

They are just laughing at you!:wink::wink:They do that every night once the hunters go to bed.:-D

Bow Walker
01-08-2011, 10:44 AM
Almost always - it's the hens that do the majority of the talking and squalking. They are much more vocal than the drakes, and yes, they do "talk" in the dark - all night long.