PDA

View Full Version : ATV or a Truck

shadow1982
01-06-2011, 01:57 PM
Which is less noisier an ATV or a Truck?

Even though last season was not very productive for me, other then grouse i could not harvest anything, I saw one Bear and around 30 does. Now i am thinking maybe i need to invest in an ATV, So the deer wont see me coming, but is an ATV louder then the truck? wont the dear run away? I just want to better prepared for the coming season. any help would be appreciated
Amar

elkdom
01-06-2011, 02:00 PM
an ATV when parked, and turned off, is very quiet!

Lone Ranger
01-06-2011, 02:04 PM
ATV's louder, most trucks are actually pretty quiet - you normally hear the crunching of the gravel under the tires before you hear the engine. My experience with it is to drive around normally to avoid spooking the game, when you're sneaking around they sense it and it makes them take notice. LR

nolan-sawka
01-06-2011, 02:05 PM
quad is waaaay better then truck hunting hands down you can get waaay more places and most are quieter with a good exhaust

cowboy
01-06-2011, 02:14 PM
it does'nt matter, both times the animals will hear you, just not sure where you are coming from....with a quad you can be faster getting on or off and have the rifle/shotgun ready to go,rather then opening/closing doors etc....

trapperRick
01-06-2011, 02:16 PM
My truck/ATV is quiet when parked and I get out and walk or just sit quiet. I have had deer, moose, grouse, fox all kinds of critters walk within 10' of me. Try keeping what you have and get out and walk or find a spot and sit quiet you will find you will have more luck than just driving all day and you will see more game, nice country.

Dakota
01-06-2011, 02:18 PM
Truck is quieter and usually has more cup holders.

elkdom
01-06-2011, 02:22 PM
every year when I am out in the bush bugling elk I call in a few morons whom think they ride up to and shoot an elk, I cannot begin to tell you the hundreds of times I have been close to, deer elk, moose bears, when suddenly the game gets uneasy and disappears, only minutes later for me to hear and then soon after see some goohhmbahh riding his motor toy down the cutline,

atv's are great to get you farther into the bush, great to pack your gear and game to and from the bush,

but if you think you will become a "more" successful hunter by riding an atv, thus getting MORE opportunities to harvest big game while perched on a moving atv ?, you are going to be sadly disappointed,

if you want to more become more productive at actually filling your big game tags, work at the basics,the important things, learn your quarry, study the nature of the beasts you want,learn techniques on wind, weather, hunting and predator pressure, peak times for rut and feeding cycles,

learn something, do not try to replace ignorance with a motorized unit!:wink:

Barracuda
01-06-2011, 02:28 PM
once animal clue in the season has started they both strike fear in thier hearts. The old thing that keeping it running wont spook them is no longer true.
I have found that by shutting off right away they calm right back down .

ATV are great for scouting as is a MC what about a utv SxS? they go everywhere and you have more carrying capacity and in my mind more usefull then an atv.

redneckdale
01-06-2011, 02:46 PM
Quads suck get your self a nice Toyota 4x4 with a 4cly swap in a solid axle, twin t-cases, bigger tires, and a winch .They are quieter cheap on gas and with a little driving experience will go further than a quad and have a windsheild and heat :mrgreen:, plus you will avoid atv restrictions.Oh and did I mention you can build them for half the price of a quad good luck

Barracuda
01-06-2011, 02:52 PM
wont go further then a quad and they are pigs on fuel in comparison.

better off going for a tracker instead if your going for a street legal vehicle.

shadow1982
01-06-2011, 03:36 PM
Tracker, never gave it a serious thought, but would you tow the tracker to FSR's or drive them there?

shadow1982
01-06-2011, 03:38 PM
And guys i know i got lots to learn, and i bet you in 10 yrs when i think i know everything, I will still come across things that will shock me, just want to improve my chances.

slowkey
01-06-2011, 03:48 PM
The quad works great. Spent my first 6 years hiking/still hunting and truck hunting never got anything. Got a quad 4 years ago and have got something every year since.
Quad is good for mule deer and moose. Elk and whitetail spook to easy even for the quad

One trick I've found if you want to stay quit is to cut your motor on hills and roll down.

Drillbit
01-06-2011, 03:48 PM
Noisy Diesels are good for seeing lots of game. Just ask the guys going to work out in the bush. Animals are used to hearing and seeing them in logging country.

dino
01-06-2011, 04:07 PM
What can u afford? All I could afford at one time was a datsun 510 car and I would drive only on good gravel roads and hiked into spots that all the 4x4 guys would drive past. I put alot of deer in the trunk. If you just want to road hunt buy a 4x4 and stay warm a quad can get mighty cold, I own a quad and its only for access to my spots on trails my jeep cant go on.

dino
01-06-2011, 04:08 PM
Noisy Diesels are good for seeing lots of game. Just ask the guys going to work out in the bush. Animals are used to hearing and seeing them in logging country.
couldnt agree more.

Barracuda
01-06-2011, 04:09 PM
only for the first week of hunting season then they head for cover when they hear them. Ive sat and watched animals and long before i heard it the animals sunk into the bush before the truck came and went only to reappears 5 mins later.

as for the tracker we use ours all the time . its fitted with a towbar so if we do want to flat tow it we can also. they are cheap on fuel and cheap to purchase for the most part.

We have the five speed but my brother has the auto which is like driveing a SXS quad and you cant help but smile when you are bombing around the woods in it in low 4x4. (its a carnival ride LOL)

There both good but i would seek out an auto if you could . they come with the 4.62 gears in the diffs and the 5spd come with the 5.13 . .
Swap out a set of diffs from the five speed and you have even lower gearing so you can either increase tire size or have it really low geared for a few hundred bucks and a weekends worth of work.

no 4x4 will ever go where an ATV can so if thats what you want thats the only thing that will really satisfy that.

If you want a cheap capable 4x4 that is very usefull then a tracker /sidekick is a really good option.

Barracuda
01-06-2011, 04:13 PM
What can u afford? All I could afford at one time was a datsun 510 car and I would drive only on good gravel roads and hiked into spots that all the 4x4 guys would drive past. I put alot of deer in the trunk. If you just want to road hunt buy a 4x4 and stay warm a quad can get mighty cold, I own a quad and its only for access to my spots on trails my jeep cant go on.

a 510 did the Paris Dakar :-D

one year we had the hounds in a nissan Micra now that was fun. at least it was a four door so i just had to open the back doors to "Release the Hounds" :lol:

fusion
01-06-2011, 05:02 PM
Which is less noisier an ATV or a Truck?

Even though last season was not very productive for me, other then grouse i could not harvest anything, I saw one Bear and around 30 does. Now i am thinking maybe i need to invest in an ATV, So the deer wont see me coming, but is an ATV louder then the truck? wont the dear run away? I just want to better prepared for the coming season. any help would be appreciated
Amar

I have an 07 Can-Am 500 XT for sale if your looking for a awesome quad in decent shape with extras.

nolan-sawka
01-06-2011, 05:18 PM
i tag out EVERY year i hunt and thats not taking little dink meat buck spikers and i ride a quad everywhere i go

sarg
01-06-2011, 05:32 PM
i'm no guru of hunting but i've hunted with a quad and trucks and i perfer the bronco 2 over a qaud. i've never had a problem going anywhere the quads have went with the bronco 2 and its alot warmer. but the ticket is to hike in to spots with sign or even no sign they could be just out of sight.

emerson
01-06-2011, 06:39 PM
Have you considered a boat? For a similar cost you can get to areas with much less traffic. Everyone has truck and most have quads. There are less boats, and if you're drifting in the current it's quiet. I think this may be the way I go.

redneckdale
01-06-2011, 07:01 PM
no 4x4 will ever go where an ATV can so if thats what you want thats the only thing that will really satisfy that.

If you want a cheap capable 4x4 that is very usefull then a tracker /sidekick is a really good option.

Tracker's are a blast and Samurai's are the same but with a solid axle and will go anywhere with a few mods and there super cheap on gas :-D

But I have to dissagree that quads will go further Ive seen caged Toyota's and Suzuki's on the Island that will always outdo a quad. Don't get me wrong quads are EXTREMELY capable but lack the wheel base for the really steep hill climbs and they just dont have the gearing options or protection for rollovers which are inevitable if youre driving our trails over here :mrgreen:

BillyBull
01-06-2011, 07:09 PM
If your looking to just road hunt and travel the FSRs then a truck of sorts is probably all you'll need. If your looking to help retrieve game like a big moose that is 9kms out from camp in the bush, then an ATV and chainsaw can get you there... it all depends on what type of hunting your looking to do with the truck/atv option that your asking about.

M.Dean
01-06-2011, 08:01 PM
Depending on where you hunt, a Quad is the way to go. You can go for miles and miles back into the brush, get away from the beaten path so to speak, and you won't be bothered by those Dam hikers! There's nothing worse than driving along a trail, you see some Deer feeding up a head of you and some over weight heart attack waiting to happen guy with his little Camo pack with the water bottle line stuck in his teeth comes huffing and puffing over the rise and scare's the Deer away! God I hate that! With a Quad you can avoid those types, just ride higher and farther than there Sneakers can carry them! With a Quad you can carry tons of stuff with you, your frying a steak and eatting a fresh salad in camp 35 miles from nowhere and the guys that hiked in are eating Noodles with powdered gravy and a power bar!!! I take a small trailer with my Quad, I like camping at different Lakes, hunt a bit, do some fishing, explorer the surrounding area's etc. And the bonus is if you do get a animal you can take all of it back to the house, not just a few token pieces crammed in your pack to make it legal!!! I'd say buy a Quad!!!

savagecanuck
01-06-2011, 08:10 PM
[quote=shadow1982;826638]Which is less noisier an ATV or a Truck?

Amar[/quote
I used to walk my arse off and even when being quiet moving slowly 9 times out of 10 the deer new I was there and most but not all got spooky.Now that I am 50 and tired of walking miles and dragging game I hunt 90% of the time from my Rhino or grizzly 700.My numbers are up substantially in the past 3 yrs from hunting off the quad.12 bucks in the past 3 yrs with my boys. I can't count how many times the deer or moose just stand there and look at me while my quad sits there idiling,its like they just don't care but if I was walking they would book.Get a ATV its the best hunting investment I have ever made,especially when you have to retrieve your game

hunter1947
01-07-2011, 04:00 AM
Truck all the way for less noise but if you want to get to the end of an old road ATV is what you need...

CanuckShooter
01-07-2011, 08:32 AM
Depending on where you hunt, a Quad is the way to go. You can go for miles and miles back into the brush, get away from the beaten path so to speak, and you won't be bothered by those Dam hikers! There's nothing worse than driving along a trail, you see some Deer feeding up a head of you and some over weight heart attack waiting to happen guy with his little Camo pack with the water bottle line stuck in his teeth comes huffing and puffing over the rise and scare's the Deer away! God I hate that! With a Quad you can avoid those types, just ride higher and farther than there Sneakers can carry them! With a Quad you can carry tons of stuff with you, your frying a steak and eatting a fresh salad in camp 35 miles from nowhere and the guys that hiked in are eating Noodles with powdered gravy and a power bar!!! I take a small trailer with my Quad, I like camping at different Lakes, hunt a bit, do some fishing, explorer the surrounding area's etc. And the bonus is if you do get a animal you can take all of it back to the house, not just a few token pieces crammed in your pack to make it legal!!! I'd say buy a Quad!!!

Good one, first laugh of the day!!!:-D:-D

CanuckShooter
01-07-2011, 08:37 AM
[I used to walk my arse off and even when being quiet moving slowly 9 times out of 10 the deer new I was there and most but not all got spooky.Now that I am 50 and tired of walking miles and dragging game I hunt 90% of the time from my Rhino or grizzly 700.My numbers are up substantially in the past 3 yrs from hunting off the quad.12 bucks in the past 3 yrs with my boys. I can't count how many times the deer or moose just stand there and look at me while my quad sits there idiling,its like they just don't care but if I was walking they would book.Get a ATV its the best hunting investment I have ever made,especially when you have to retrieve your game

I use my atv for travelling to and from mostly, but my experience has been similar to savagecanuck...have even driven right up on 6pt bull elk...but besides that I find hunting from the atv detracts from the experience for ME.

As for the truck or atv question....the atv will be harder to get stuck, will go more places, will be faster to get a shot off, will be colder and wetter etc etc etc...the noise of either makes little or no difference.

steel_ram
01-07-2011, 11:36 AM
Pretty clear from above posts that Quads take the hunt out of hunting. But to each their own, it's legal, the seasons get shorter and shorter.

shadow1982
01-07-2011, 11:56 AM
well i have few friends with Quads... i am a bit concerned about riding an ATV in snow... It probabbly gets awefully cold i guess, this week i will be taking one of there ATV's for a ride on an FSR, see if i can handle it.

M.Dean
01-07-2011, 12:43 PM
well i have few friends with Quads... i am a bit concerned about riding an ATV in snow... It probabbly gets awefully cold i guess, this week i will be taking one of there ATV's for a ride on an FSR, see if i can handle it. When you ride a Quad in the winter, it's cold, same as riding a Snowmachine! If you dress like your going to a movie you'll freeze to death, it's that simple! I have a Windshield, hand and thumb warmers, electric vest, and I dress properly. The deep snow will bog you down, if you can stay on Sled trails your OK to a extent. Your riding on wheels, not a track and Ski's. You can ride a Quad all year round, where as a Snow machine your limited to winter only. We use our Quads all year, this time of year were out on the lakes lots, and there's a few higher Lakes we can get to on the Sled trails, but you will get stuck so riding in pairs or a group is a great idea! Quads can be a lot of fun if ridden properly, dress warm, watch were your going and have fun!!!

Barracuda
01-07-2011, 12:56 PM
anything under 15 deg and i freeze on my dual sport . i wear insulated stuff all the time .

It make it enoyable if your not cold . Even being cold a little bit will drain the pleasure out of your ride so bundle up and wear a full face helmet if you dont have a windscreen