PDA

View Full Version : New boat/New moose leh area

white moose
01-06-2011, 12:13 AM
For this season i have a new riverboat for hunting. Any suggestions for an leh area with a river with good moose numbers? Usually go for region 3, but not a whole lot of moose around and i want to make use of the boat. Thanks.

palmer
01-06-2011, 12:29 AM
Forget LEH..pick a river in 6 or 7(peace) and you should be good

white moose
01-06-2011, 12:36 AM
Forget LEH..pick a river in 6 or 7(peace) and you should be good
Anybody have experience or success in region 6? Any river or boatlaunch sites would be appreciated. Is there any elk hunting on region 6 rivers? need some pointers please.

ryanb
01-06-2011, 06:16 AM
No elk hunting in region 6 except on the Queen Charlotte Islands. Read the regs.

Quite a few decent rivers in region 6 for moose. Some are LEH areas, some are open. Stikine and tributaries, and Skeena and tributaries should get you started.

hunter1947
01-06-2011, 07:37 AM
The heck with the LEH new boat new area head up to the Muskwa river for everything you don't need LEH...

Camp Cook
01-06-2011, 08:29 AM
Omenica River region 7 something near Germanson Landing...

and get the LEH also at the same time apply for a grizzly tag...

beni
01-06-2011, 04:15 PM
Can I come? haha

I definitely agree with Hunter1947 on the Muskwa River idea

haligan
01-06-2011, 05:02 PM
We usually do a trip every year up the beaver valley in 6-15. You can launch in Kalum lake and head up the beaver. With the road deactivated you generally only run into to others with boats. Nice spot

white moose
01-06-2011, 10:21 PM
We usually do a trip every year up the beaver valley in 6-15. You can launch in Kalum lake and head up the beaver. With the road deactivated you generally only run into to others with boats. Nice spot
Anybody else do this? Whatz the nearest town?

white moose
01-06-2011, 10:23 PM
The heck with the LEH new boat new area head up to the Muskwa river for everything you don't need LEH...
How far do you need to go up? Passed the tuchodi? Where is the best caribou area?

hunter1947
01-07-2011, 03:43 AM
How far do you need to go up? Passed the tuchodi? Where is the best caribou area?

Not to mention any names I know someone that has been going up the muskwa river for 30 years he said anywhere up this river produces good hunting for many game animals ,elk and moose being on top ,check the river conditions before you head up take lots of fuel in a few drums for a couple drop offs when you head up the river..

takla1
01-07-2011, 11:10 PM
prophet river is excellent for moose and elk,theres a 2 launchs just north past prophet general store{lum 'n' abners]then head west on gas well road,they can tell you how to get in there at the store.

ryanb
01-12-2011, 03:21 PM
As far as I know most of the major rivers in 7B offer very spotty Carribou hunting...If you're after moose or elk on the other hand...

hunter1947
01-13-2011, 04:09 AM
What I have been told is that there are some fair to good caribou hunting in the muskwa prophet river areas but you have to put some walking distance from the river to where the caribou are.

You have 70% of the battle accomplished when you can get the river boat to the door step of the caribou the other 30% to find the caribou is leg work.

BCRiverBoater
01-19-2011, 04:38 PM
I have hunted the Muskwa for many years and rarely see Caribou anywhere close to the river. I have mostly only seen cows and calves on or crossing the river. Of course some decent bulls have been shot over the years but as a whole I would not consider it a real good area for caribou. If you are wanting moose or elk you will have way better luck.

bulldown300
01-19-2011, 09:39 PM
X2 for the Muskwa. If your looking for meat head up for the opening, 3 point elk and any bull moose. Good river to run for a new or first boat.

pse&remington
01-19-2011, 09:52 PM
just outta curiosity what kinda boat did you end up buying and did you spend on the nylon bottom for shallow water, cause im looking at buying one myself this year and am just listening to what people are using for hunting.
Way to go on picking up a jet boat no matter what you got your on your way!