PDA

View Full Version : The crossbow alternative??

OOBuck
01-05-2011, 10:08 PM
Have the planets finally aligned? Could there be peace
throughout the galaxy???:confused:

http://www.crossbowalternative.com/

trapperdan2061
01-05-2011, 10:22 PM
I gave it a try a few years back at a show in London PA, thought it was a good thing.

firstlight
01-05-2011, 10:44 PM
Sweet, maybe in a few decades if I can't pull my Recurve any longer I'll hook up with the Lock-a-draw ;>)

KB90
01-05-2011, 10:52 PM
Someone else posted this before, a different manufacturer, the creator found the thread and joined then commented, he made some valid points for its use, mainly for older/disabled people.

I can't remember the name though...

OOBuck
01-06-2011, 07:51 AM
But the real question is will it unite the bowhunters of the world. This
thing to the guys that hate crossbows could very well be the missing
piece in the evolutionary chain. This thing is to crossbows what cro-magnon
man was to the human/ape connection. The missing link sorta speak..????:mrgreen:

islandboy
01-06-2011, 09:06 AM
Does it work on a recurve, or longbow?

OOBuck
01-06-2011, 09:22 AM
Does it work on a recurve, or longbow?

See here comes the evolutionary chain again, nuts & bolts were invented and I imagine that if the riser is drilled and tapped to accept the braket it would work. Don`t quote me on that as I have never seen one or used one check
with the manufacture.:-D

brock77
01-06-2011, 10:14 AM
I posted on this awhile back after surfing the web for bow mounted range finders...The inventor posted back...dont know if he's a member but here"s the older post from the invetor.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by brock77 http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?p=639851#post639851)
i was looking on line to see if there is any thing out there that resembles a range finder than can be bow mounted and could be used at full draw, and came across this http://bowdrawlock.com/.... there is some thing about it that just seems to scream dangerous:eek::eek:

Hey guys, you have this Lock-a-Draw thing all wrong. It wasn't invented for anyone who can draw a 70# bow in the traditional way. I am the inventor, who at 73 was having to quit bow hunting because I could not draw my bow in a fluid motion even when cranked down to 47#, the lowest it would go without collapse. Having to raise the bow above my head to draw downward scared every deer before I could aim and fire! After many years of bow hunting, I could not stomach the idea of retreating to a crossbow. Using the Lock-a-Draw and cocking it with both hands and feet I can easily draw a 70# bow again.

The Lock-a-Draw has a button safety that is always on and must be pressed to pull the trigger. In that respect it is safer than a rifle. I accidently dropped my drawn bow from a 15' ladder stand and it did not go off. As far as the strength of the 3/8" aircraft aluminum rod is concerned, I have hung a 50# weight on it without its bending perminently. A 70# bow with 80% letoff only puts 14# of weight on the rod. On my sales page I state that the L-a-D is not recommended for any bow with a letoff draw weight greater than 25#.

The Lock-a-Draw is light, weighing only 8.3 oz. for a 28" draw length, it carries in the supplied quiver with the arrows, does not modify your bow in any way, and is very accurate when properly tuned. It is the only "hunting friendly" drawlock on the market. While I agree that it is essentially a vertical crossbow and is treated as such legally, I still have an "archery" feeling while using it because I am using the same sights and I have to be carefull not to "torque" the bow as before.

The Lock-a-Draw has helped scores of aged archers and those with injuries continue to shoot their compound bows.

You wouldn't really want to chase us old geezers out of the woods would you? To get a better perspective on the Lock-a-Draw, watch the video on my web site, http://www.bowdrawlock.com or http://www.crossbowalternative.com.:smile:

bugler
01-06-2011, 04:03 PM
For those that care about records I don't think it would fit into Pope and Young rules. Seems to me they say something about the bow being drawn and held under the hunters own power or something like that. For P&Y it would be the same as a crossbow. For jurisdictions that don't allow crossbows in bow season this could be a way around it for older/disabled people and thus likely a good thing.

I doubt if it will bring peace to the bowhunting universe though!!

Fisher-Dude
01-06-2011, 05:36 PM
You gals, quit ceding the high powered bow advantage to the guys. With the Lock-a-Draw you too can shoot a 70# bow.

islandboy
01-06-2011, 10:59 PM
Next will be the "Game Hobble (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hobble_%28device%29)" designed to hold game fast and secure, in a location of your choosing. Giving even the youngest, or most infirm hunter the opportunity to harvest an animal. :wink:

It will only be a few more years before I need it. :mrgreen:

troutseeker
01-07-2011, 02:49 AM
Humm, sorry but it will not unite anyone. According to it's inventor, and I quote: "After many years of bow hunting, I could not stomach the idea of retreating to a crossbow. Using the Lock-a-Draw and cocking it with both hands and feet I can easily draw a 70# bow again."

Quite the elitist statement from someone who basically turned his bow into a crossbow, hahaha...

pale rider
01-07-2011, 02:15 PM
it said make sure your shoe doesnt slip out of the sterup.i wear boots big boots.for shooting.not sure if its for me.

The Hermit
01-07-2011, 02:30 PM
Hey if I was unable to draw my bow due to injury or infirmity I would certainly give this a go! I think its a pretty cool invention and applaud its inventor for his efforts!

Having owned a couple crossbows now I gotta tell you that they are not as easy a tool to hunt that many people think, unless you are treestanding that is. They are at least as heavy as a rifle, they are MUCH more difficult to carry through the forest and up/down steep slopes!! They are also a LOT more noisy, and no more accurate or have any better effective range than a compound bow either.

So having said all that, I get why the Lock-a-Draw would be a good choice for many compound owners that need a little assist in order to keep hunting!

HIGHRPM
01-07-2011, 02:48 PM
I think it's a great idea, just as it was shown, for the older person who still wants to get in the bush with a bow. You still have all the features of the bow, but without the draw weight. I am getting close to that age group and after a couple of failed back surguries which have really weakened me, I see this tool as a super oppertunity to still get out there. Isn't that what we all want in the long run? To hunt our way as long as possible. Hats off to this guy for at least giving everyone the chance, whether you take it or not. :-D

beni
01-07-2011, 02:51 PM
my grandfather is on his way over to my house now... going to show him this!!

Gray Hunter
01-20-2011, 03:20 PM
Hi Guys,

Again it is the inventor of the Lock-a-Draw. I'm still around and so is the Lock-a-Draw with about 275 sold to date. :-D My customers have very few complaints about the product, only 2 of the returns have been because it didn't shoot well. Since it has to be tuned and I have no control over the tuning process, even those 2 may have been because of poor tuning.

You gals, quit ceding the high powered bow advantage to the guys. With the Lock-a-Draw you too can shoot a 70# bow.

Why is it that you guys buy a 60-70# bow when a 45# one will kill a deer just as well? Is there no advantage to the heavier draw? Of course there is in faster arrow flight, less accuracy dependence on distance, and the lesser chance that hitting bone will result in loosing the deer. When I was in my late 60's I shot an 8 point buck at 20 yds. using a mechanical broadhead, the type that opens from front to back. My 65# bow was set at 47# because that is all I could draw. The arrow apparently hit a rib just behind the leg and I followed a sprayed (small drops often on leaves above the ground) blood trail for 3/4 mile before the trail petered out. I never did find the arrow. I presume that the arrow only pierced one lung because of poor penetration. I still believe if I had shot him with a heavier bow I would have gotten that deer. The rearward opening mechanicals expend a good fraction of their energy opening the blades, so it pays to have a little extra power. (I quit using these mechanicals as a result of this experience in spite of the fact that the mechanicals allow me to shoot more accurately.)

Why shouldn't women have the same advantages as men? I have had a 12 year old bow, a 72 year old great grandmother, and a 91 year old man draw my 70# demonstration bow. Anyway, I thought it woul be great to sell a few to women hunters.

Cheers

Gray Hunter
01-20-2011, 03:37 PM
By the way, a Canadian from Edmonton, AB shot a "Robin Hood" this fall at 30 yards with the second and third arrow shot with the Lock-a-Draw. He sent me pictures so I could post it on my web site:
http://www.lockadraw.com/accurate.htm

Bow Walker
01-20-2011, 04:19 PM
OK - this is fas runing into an advertisement for a company that does not (currently) support this site by being a sponsor. Time to lock it up.