PDA

View Full Version : New Years pup arrived

Retrievers
01-05-2011, 04:32 PM
We were invited to the neighbours for dinner Jan 3rd. I new that Pepsi's due date was the same day but no signs had happened all day. No panting, no digging in her carpet but she was off her food. So decide we could probably go, until I looked in on her one last time to see she kept looking at her belly and saw a small drop of discharge.
Stayed home and got her to the kennel where her whelping box was. She no sooner jumped into the whelping box and out popped a pup onto the floor. Poor thing. Every one to two hours she was delivering and all was good. There was a stall period, so I took her out for a pee when she squatted and out came another pup. Ran to pick it up out of the freezing snow and hurried to get a towel to get it warm. The rest of the delivery went fine. 11 pups, choc and black litter. Everyone fine but what a restless night.

Fosey
01-05-2011, 04:52 PM
How long does it take for a pup to be housetrained? My pup is 10 weeks old and has accidents peeing in the house. He runs to the door when he has to pooh but we have to let him out routinely to pee.

OOBuck
01-05-2011, 05:08 PM
How long does it take for a pup to be housetrained? My pup is 10 weeks old and has accidents peeing in the house. He runs to the door when he has to pooh but we have to let him out routinely to pee.

Usally a couple of weeks in a new house. I use to take my pup out every hour or so. Big thing is to get a dog crate that the dog sleeps in and take them out just before you got to bed and first thing in the am.. Make sure the crate isnt too big as the pup can use one end as a washroom. I have heard not to get mad at a pup but sorry I call BS and it works. I don't rub their nose in it but grab them by the scruf of the neck point at the area and tell them no.. You need to do this when cought in the act as 2 minutes later pups don't remember going at all.. hope this helps

bsa30-06
01-05-2011, 06:57 PM
got any pictures of the new arrivals?

Kasomor
01-06-2011, 02:38 AM

Your pup will become faster house trained the more you keep both eyes on him. Pups that age can't hold it long. it can take months for a pup not to whiz in the house...it all depends on how much time and effort you put into it.

I flat out do not agree with giving a pup hell for peeing in the house either. This is a pup that you want to bond with ...not be bopping over the head because nature calls and they are too immature and untrained to know where to go.

You could end up with a pup that runs and hides to pee.

Crate train, teether to you and watch the pup like a hawk. Pups have to pee after they eat, after they drink, after they wake up, after they come out of a crate, after they have played hard., CONSTANTLY...and they will tell you when they have to pee....nose to the ground, circling...etc... it doesn't take rocket science to figure out a pups signs.

Here's my best bet to get your pup house trained faster....

]A rolled up newspaper can be an effective training tool when used properly.

For instance, use the rolled up newspaper if your dog chews up something inappropriate or has a housebreaking accident.

Bring the dog over to the destroyed object (or mess), then take the rolled up newspaper...and hit yourself over the head as you repeat the phrase,

'I FORGOT TO WATCH MY DOG,

I FORGOT TO WATCH MY DOG

Seriously...because that is what has happened. :)

Jimsue
01-06-2011, 09:58 AM
Are these the Tacker pups? I was down at Conway last week and got to run him on some blinds, truely an incredable dog. When you run him on marks you are just there to take the birds out of his mouth.

Retrievers
01-06-2011, 11:51 PM
I tell people that when you have a 7 week old pup that your taking home you can count on every 20 minutes that you need to let them out. They have to pee and poop everytime they eat so I usually feed outside. I don't leave water in the house cause sure as heck they will pee as soon as they drink. If your not in tuned to your pups behavior, your bound to get discharge on the floor. Some use the paper and diaper matts but I think that is just telling your pup its ok to pee on the floor. Best to watch and just take them out often to avoid accidents. It's not the dogs fault he piddled, it's yours for not watching. I tell people your not teaching the pup the first month the pup its teaching you. I know that some people have tried hanging a string with a bell to it and attach it to the door handle. Pups have gone to the door when your not watching and rang the bell to let you know they need out.

Retrievers
01-06-2011, 11:51 PM
Yes these are Tacker pups.