PDA

View Full Version : Which Sheep?

elkrub
01-05-2011, 09:39 AM
Hello,
As a resident which sheep can you harvest in one year without a draw?
And with if you get a draw?
I'm still trying to understand your hunting regs. :confused:
Thanks guys

bighornbob
01-05-2011, 09:56 AM
Hello,
As a resident which sheep can you harvest in one year without a draw?
And with if you get a draw?
I'm still trying to understand your hunting regs. :confused:
Thanks guys

Only Dall sheep are on a total draw, all others can be hunted somehwere without a draw.

Rocky mountain bighorns and Stone sheep are general open seasons. There are some draws (in parks etc) but more the most part buy a tag and go hunt.

California Bighorns are also open in about half of their range but must be a full curl (very tough to find but not impossible:-D). In these open areas they also have draws for 3/4 curls which make the hunts alot easier but drawing is tough. There are also draws in the other half of their range (Okanagan areas) where there is no general open seasons.

To give you an idea how good we have it, one year I hunted Stones in August, made a trip for Rockies to the East Kootenyas and hunted Calis for one weekend along the Fraser River all with out a draw.

Regardless of where and how many you hunt, the bag limit for mountain sheep is only 1.

BHB

bighornbob
01-05-2011, 10:00 AM
I should correct myself, if you buy a raffle ticket or the auction tag for the Premiers Permit (like Govenors tags south of the Border) and win, this lets you hunt pretty much any sheep in the province and would let you shoot another sheep above the limit of one.

So only the holder of the Premiers permit could take two sheep in one year.

BHB

Slee
01-05-2011, 10:06 AM
I should correct myself, if you buy a raffle ticket or the auction tag for the Premiers Permit (like Govenors tags south of the Border) and win, this lets you hunt pretty much any sheep in the province and would let you shoot another sheep above the limit of one.

So only the holder of the Premiers permit could take two sheep in one year.

BHB

Is the draw back on???

bighornbob
01-05-2011, 11:31 AM
I have heard the sheep draw is coming back but not the elk (politics). Not sure if it will be ready for this falls hunt though.

BHB

elkrub
01-05-2011, 12:04 PM
Thanks for the info!
I just moved to Kelowna, not a resident yet. When do I have to become a resident to get a sheep tag or draw for Stones? :wink:
Is there a fish & wildlife office in Kelowna? I did a google and could not find one.
Thanks for your help
Dave
Oh by the way......is there a rifle range with a 500yrd target close by?

The Hermit
01-05-2011, 12:11 PM
Go here >>> http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/ download the regulations. Or go into a hunting/fishing store and pick up a copy.

bighornbob
01-05-2011, 01:04 PM
Thanks for the info!
I just moved to Kelowna, not a resident yet. When do I have to become a resident to get a sheep tag or draw for Stones? :wink:
Is there a fish & wildlife office in Kelowna? I did a google and could not find one.
Thanks for your help
Dave
Oh by the way......is there a rifle range with a 500yrd target close by?

The law states that you have to be a resident for 6 months prior to doing anything under the Wildlife Act. This includes taking CORE, obtaining a hunter Number or applying for a LEH draw.

So if you moved here Jan. 1 you could obtain your Hunter Number in early July (assuming you had a hunting license somewhere else) and could hunt for Stones in all the open areas for the Aug. 1 opener.

BHB