PDA

View Full Version : wolves

3kills
01-05-2011, 08:35 AM
okay so my aunty has a small farm here in merritt, its actaully in lower nicola but close enought. anyways lately they have been seein wolves just on the edge of there property. whats the best way to go about getthing theses guys? they have gotten a shot off at one of them but my cousin missed. would u guys just wait for when they show up? they seem to be comin through every 3 to 4 days and at all times of the day, or would you guys try to bait for them and hopefully can sneak in on them? any advice would be great.

elkdom
01-05-2011, 11:38 AM
okay so my aunty has a small farm here in merritt, its actaully in lower nicola but close enought. anyways lately they have been seein wolves just on the edge of there property. whats the best way to go about getthing theses guys? they have gotten a shot off at one of them but my cousin missed. would u guys just wait for when they show up? they seem to be comin through every 3 to 4 days and at all times of the day, or would you guys try to bait for them and hopefully can sneak in on them? any advice would be great.

if you could get a hold of a dead cow, sit on it 24/7 for a few days, providing the WIND is right in your favor, you may get a glimpse of them, most cases the cow will be totally consumed in a few days,
if they smell you or you shoot at them, you most likely will not see them near there again,

BlacktailStalker
01-05-2011, 11:42 AM
Unless you can bait them and sit them out, I think your cousin blew the best chance you had.
Wolves are ****in smart.

KodiakHntr
01-05-2011, 12:20 PM
If you can put out some bait, and check it regularly (once or twice a day), once its been hit howl a few times.

If you can get a response get set up where you can see. Howl a couple more times, and sit tight for 30 minutes to an hour.

More than likely they'll come looking to see who is howling. Whether you see them or not is anybodies guess though.

Can't count the number of times I've howled at them and had wolves come looking.

Did it last week even. Heard a howl while I was walking some steel plates out where I shoot. Howled back, and 40 minutes later had wolves walk into the open.

And that was after I'd banged out probably 10 or 15 rounds from my 7wsm.

Rob
01-05-2011, 12:23 PM
Hey darc they wouldnt be mistaken them for coyotes eh? weve been hear lots of them lately at night.

elkdom
01-05-2011, 12:25 PM
If you can put out some bait, and check it regularly (once or twice a day), once its been hit howl a few times.

If you can get a response get set up where you can see. Howl a couple more times, and sit tight for 30 minutes to an hour.

More than likely they'll come looking to see who is howling. Whether you see them or not is anybodies guess though.

Can't count the number of times I've howled at them and had wolves come looking.

Did it last week even. Heard a howl while I was walking some steel plates out where I shoot. Howled back, and 40 minutes later had wolves walk into the open.

And that was after I'd banged out probably 10 or 15 rounds from my 7wsm.

not unlike Grizz, wolves will also respond to gunshots in an area where gunshots regularly result in a GUT pile or a kill for them to feed on,
if they are conditioned, habituated to finding a free lunch in an area well hunted, they will tolerate gunshots, sometimes investigate!

beni
01-05-2011, 01:30 PM
not unlike Grizz, wolves will also respond to gunshots in an area where gunshots regularly result in a GUT pile or a kill for them to feed on,
if they are conditioned, habituated to finding a free lunch in an area well hunted, they will tolerate gunshots, sometimes investigate!

Very true, I know an old timer who went out by himself shot a nice 4x4 mulie. Couldn't get it out, drove back to town to get a friend got back to his buck and the wolves had started on it.

He was gone for maybe an hour, tops

3kills
01-05-2011, 09:22 PM
Hey darc they wouldnt be mistaken them for coyotes eh? weve been hear lots of them lately at night.

nope i asked them that they are wolves, one is great and the ohter one is almost completely black. jim got a good look at them the other day through the binos they are for sure wolves.

Camp Cook
01-05-2011, 11:45 PM
I followed wolf tracks on Nov 21/10 near Lundbum Lake they were very fresh thought they were mtn lion tracks at first.

3kills
01-06-2011, 12:47 AM
in the last two years i have found wolf tracks in 3 or 4 different spots around the merritt area that i never seen them before.

Rob
01-06-2011, 01:25 AM
They hanging on the west side of theproperty then i guess. Good to know as i like to hike that area in the trees. I always bring a gun though, may have to get out there on days off

hunter1947
01-06-2011, 04:49 AM
Like others have said put out bait and sit there as manytimes as posible I would try some calling as well..

3kills
01-07-2011, 12:55 AM
They hanging on the west side of theproperty then i guess. Good to know as i like to hike that area in the trees. I always bring a gun though, may have to get out there on days off

not excatly sure where they are, they see them right out there back door area i think. they said there deer population on the property now is way down. one of there neighbours said they are pretty sure they seen one in one of there fields down below the house, he was goin to shoot it but wasnt 100% sure it was a wolf so thought he better not. if u are walkin about on the property or above it and u see one make sure u shoot it.

elkdom
01-07-2011, 07:49 AM
not excatly sure where they are, they see them right out there back door area i think. they said there deer population on the property now is way down. one of there neighbours said they are pretty sure they seen one in one of there fields down below the house, he was goin to shoot it but wasnt 100% sure it was a wolf so thought he better not. if u are walkin about on the property or above it and u see one make sure u shoot it.

you might try dressing up in a bright RED dress and RED CAPE and FRILLY RED HAT, pack a BIG PICNIC BASKET, tell everyone in your neighborhood your taking a BIG lunch over your Grandma's House, this has worked to find a wolf before,,,,

also take the LONG ROUTE when you walk over to Gram-ma's house, the trail that goes past the 3 Little Piggee's Houses, there are also aggressive wolves around there,,,

Good Luck!:wink:

ps: If any ROAD Hunters stop their pic-up and offer you a ride ? dont take a ride with them! they may be bad people, Ive heard lots of BAD things about ROAD Hunters! :icon_frow

CanuckShooter
01-07-2011, 08:05 AM

Pretty soon it will be non-existant....the wolves moved in near our 1/4 section last year...haven't seen a moose here since spring...and only two deer all year...:evil:...

elkdom
01-07-2011, 08:16 AM
you may wait a long time or travel a long way before seeing the wolf,

Radio collared Timber wolves, from Alaska Dept of Wildlife were documented as far south as Washington and Oregon State!

thats a lot of miles, and a LOT of FOOD , for a Wolf !

RowDona
01-07-2011, 10:37 AM
Lots of talk of baiting which lets you know when they are in the area. When you know they are in the area of your bait, try calling. I've been successful using rabbit and fawn in distress, fawn will bring in a pack. I've also howled them in just using the old vocal cords, listen to a wolf howl and start practicing.

When using calls lone ones come in slow and packs come in fast so give your stand at least 30 minutes. Howling they start talking to you right away, stay put let them come to you....

Whisky Creek
01-07-2011, 07:08 PM
Since there are plenty of cattle in the Nicola Valley it shouldn't be too hard to get your hands on one especially if you tell the rancher what it's purpose is. What I do up here with good success is get a dead whole cow and let it freeze solid. (It will last longer with the birds and coyotes and also a full 1400 lb carcass can't be dragged away, which means that the critters have to come to it!) Place it within shooting distance of the house, but at least 200 yards away. They seem to be comfortable with a distance of 200 yards up here where I live anyways. Important: If you are setting it up relatively close to the house like this make sure you place it within 20 feet of brush or timber cover to let the wolves feel "not too exposed" and the wolves will find it and come to it, if they frequent the area in which you live. They may know it is there but not touch it for weeks, but they will eventually get onto it. To speed up the process, throw something fresh and bloody on top of it to get the noise making ravens on it right away. The reason that you want the bait within view of the house is so that everyone can keep an eye on it throughout their daily routine. Wolves WILL come to it at ANY time of the day. Don't expect them only at first light or just before dark, although often first light is productive. Out of the wolves last year, most were shot between the hours of 1030 AM and 130 PM. The first one of this year, just two days ago, was shot at 1100 AM.
This recent one ended up being just over 106 lbs and was almost solid white.