PDA

View Full Version : Neoprene dog vests?

Tron
01-04-2011, 10:18 PM
Im looking for a neoprene dog vest for my German wirehaired pointer. All the ones im finding the measurements are based off of labs. My dog has a bigger chest than a lad in relation to the rest of his body. He measures 17neck, 29chest, 20waist.

Any one run into this trying to find a vest for your pointer?

Im starting him on ducks but he gets cold pretty quick.

So far the best seems to be the Avery boaters vest with the closest measurements.

Spokerider
01-05-2011, 08:43 AM
Make one........
Go to a scuba shop and buy the neoprene, glue, zipper, etc, and make yourself a pattern. Or, you can buy a used wet suit and and save some $$ there over new material.

Gluing neoprene is easy, but you may have to take to the scuba shop to have the zipper sewn on, depending on you having access to an industrial sewing machine.

labguy
01-05-2011, 11:35 AM
Im looking for a neoprene dog vest for my German wirehaired pointer. All the ones im finding the measurements are based off of labs. My dog has a bigger chest than a lad in relation to the rest of his body. He measures 17neck, 29chest, 20waist.

So far the best seems to be the Avery boaters vest with the closest measurements.

Cabellas' make a decent neoprene vest which I prefer over Avery (I have both) because the Velcro on the back of the Cabellas vest, make it easier to get a snug fit around the body.

You will probably have to alter it to fit your particular dog. This is easy to do by simply cutting the neoprene then overlapping and the pieces together with neoprene glue (used for neoprene waders) which you can buy at Canadian Tire or just about anyplace. You'll want a fairly snut fit around the torso and front legs to keep the water out.

fudge
01-05-2011, 02:59 PM
I think the Avery is the best. I have had remmington and a cabelas they just dont last. Mind you I have a lab and a huskey but it seems to fit the best for them to and hold up bettter then the otheres.

Jetboater
01-05-2011, 03:09 PM
give stillwater sports in ladner a call they hd the right vest for our dog...

dakotawinters
01-05-2011, 04:51 PM
Whole sale sports has em.

Tron
01-05-2011, 06:50 PM
Thanks everyone. Ive ordered a avery vest and figure I can alter it to fit him.

newhunterette
01-05-2011, 06:56 PM
http://www.canadianwaterfowlersproshop.com/category_s/7.htm

Foxton Gundogs
02-21-2011, 02:30 PM

Wholesale sport has a good selection in the mid $30 range and you can try them on on site. Have 1 for my Springer 1 for my Golden and 1 for my partners 100+ lb Spinoni All fit well and dont impeede movement once th dog is used to it.

375 ultramag
02-21-2011, 03:09 PM
Got mine from wholesale sports also.....fits pretty good and after a year of running through the bush it's still like new. They also work good as chest protecters from sticks.

charbrc
03-01-2011, 11:28 PM
I got mine from Wholesale sports. They let me bring the dog into the store to try it on so that I knew that it fit.