PDA

View Full Version : Price on binos, what's in it?

Stéphane
01-04-2011, 07:58 PM
I just drop my pair of Tasco and now that I hear jingles inside them, and the fact that I can't see means I need a new pair.

I think they were worth around $80 and they did the job for me. I saw a pair at Cdn Tire (same range) for $30. They appeared to be roughly the same size, maybe a bit bigger.

Then, I see on the forum here a guy wondering which binos he should get. Of course I checked it out. I was blown away by the tag price: $650 and $850!!!

Man, I thought mine were pricey. So, what's in it? Is it like tequila? A huge difference between the $30 bottle and the $60, but not that big of a difference between a $150 and a $300+ bottle.

bigwhiteys
01-04-2011, 08:03 PM
If you are on a budget, have a look at the Bushnell H20 10x40.

My partner has a set and brings them sheep hunting. He spots game, and they work great in wet weather. Seriously a decent set of glass for under $150 at most places.

Carl

landphil
01-04-2011, 08:16 PM
If you are on a budget, have a look at the Bushnell H20 10x40.

My partner has a set and brings them sheep hunting. He spots game, and they work great in wet weather. Seriously a decent set of glass for under $150 at most places.

Carl

X2, they're decent for the price.

BiG Boar
01-04-2011, 08:21 PM
Your glass should be your number two most used piece of gear. Get great ones. Yes ones for $80 you can look through. You can also look through two toilet paper rolls. Price doesn't equal quality, however guys give good opinions on here. Avoid bushnell at all cost. As well as tasco. At minimum Nikon monarchs. And at worst case at least look at vortex. I have leupold and wouldn't switch out for anything eles. Boots, binos, and scopes are things you shouldn't cheap out on. Imagine your glass broke on a fly in once in a life time hunt?

Stéphane
01-04-2011, 08:28 PM
So, does the price mean tougher? Less glare?

.330 Dakota
01-04-2011, 08:32 PM
Price means finer ground glass which translates to CLARITY AND SHARP IMAGERY. Buy the best pair you can afford, same with the riflr scope.
Good glass is the most important thing in your hunting gear. Ya cant kill it if ya cant find it

bigwhiteys
01-04-2011, 08:36 PM
Imagine your glass broke on a fly in once in a life time hunt?
I've broke both Swaro and Zeiss on hunts. It can even happen to the high end stuff! Those bushnell binos are a good set for their price point, I am serious!

Carl

Caveman
01-04-2011, 08:37 PM
Comparisons, look through all types, see what fits u the best. Higher end, better optics, clearer at low light. Fog proof, waterproof. You'll see the difference. I was looking at the H20 for my son, but when the excursions were 50% off Boxing week I got those at $119.

leadpillproductions
01-04-2011, 08:44 PM
i use alpen very happy with them 400.00 very clear

Blainer
01-04-2011, 08:46 PM
I just drop my pair of Tasco and now that I hear jingles inside them.I'm surprised you could'nt hear that jingle when you bought them.
You get what you pay for in glass.
Buy the best pair you can afford,most important tool in the field.:wink:

gibblewabble
01-04-2011, 10:50 PM
I have had 6 pairs of Bushnells's and except the 2 small pairs they have all had seals go and fog inside, 2 lasted for 4-5 years the others not so long. I can tell you there is not many things more frustrating than glassing blocks in the rain and not being able to see through said glasses. The last pair I will ever buy gave up the ghost this season and I had to borrow my parents as I was in Burns Lake and was not able to even purchase new ones. Buy good glass, as most say buy the best you can but I know I will never spend good money on Bushnell glass again.

BillyBull
01-04-2011, 11:01 PM
Stephane, you will have to look at your budget and then decide what optics best fit your hunting... if I recall you Bow hunt and you may want to consider upgrading to a mid-price point in the 100-400 range.

The quality of glass and low light conditions are what makes the pricey bino's worth the investment. There are various price points in the 100-400 range that have some good products:

300-400 Nikon Monarch, Vortex Fury,
200-300 Vortex Diamondback, Bushnell Excursion
100-200 Vortex Diamondback, Bushnell H20, Vortex Vanquish and
Spitfire and Bushnell Excursion EX series

Any of these have good options, but again it comes down to your budget and what you can afford.

< 100 Bushnell Trophy and many more brands are binos but in low light conditions and those great hunting times at dawn and dusk or bright light into dark tree lines... these will generally not bring you the view that other higher priced optics will....

Try checking out Wild Birds Unlimited, Vancouver Telescope, Reliable, Grouse River and WSS and try the different glass out... Ask the clerk to take a couple of different brands with you and them outside and test them looking at different things outdoors.... if they wont go out with you then move on to the next store. I know Reliable and Vancouver telescope both allow you outside to look around and test.

Good luck.

Bow Walker
01-05-2011, 10:07 AM
Stephane, I was in the same situation almost 6 years ago. I wanted to upgrade to a set of "decent" binoculars. I had been using inexpensive Bushnell's until they were dropped and the prisms went out of alignment. It was like trying to see straight when you've had too much to drink.

Being a "frugal" kind of guy, with not a lot of disposable cash, I shopped around a lot, comparing binos that were less than $300 a pair. I came across some that were made by Vortex. They were remarkably clear and light years ahead of what I had been using.

I bought a pair of 8.5x50 Vultures and have never been happier with binoculars. Since then, I've compared them to other brands (in the same price range) and have yet to see anything that makes me regret my purchase.

Grouse River (one of our sponsors) sells Vortex and the Diamondbacks are the evolution of my Vultures. They come in 8x42, 10x42, and 8.5x50...I think I'd go with the 10x42 if I were in your shoes.

Go to Birds Unlimited (or a similar "birding store") and try a pair for yourself. If they can't/won't match the price of Grouse River, order a pair from GR., they are great to deal with and I just know you won't be disappointed.

Here's the link...

http://www.grouseriver.com/SearchResults.asp