PDA

View Full Version : North of Big Bar ferry

Slinky Pickle
01-04-2011, 07:45 PM
Has anyone travelled on the road/trail that heads north from the west side of the Big Bar ferry crossing? I've always got to the west side, turned left and drove up the hill. I've been looking at Google Earth and wondered how far you get if you headed north instead.

Gilmore
01-04-2011, 08:04 PM
The road that was there is pretty much slid in the whole way and is basically a hiking trail now. It also goes through private property for a ways and its been made pretty clear trespassers are not welcome. That said I have been up there many times when access was better and the old owner was still around so the "No Trespassing" signs weren't there.:roll: Its takes you out onto French Bar flats and above Fench Bar canyon. The road continued down into French Bar Creek where they did quite a bit of mining which is the ONLY reason the road is there in the first place. The road/trail ends at the creek.

frenchbar
01-04-2011, 08:17 PM
The road that was there is pretty much slid in the whole way and is basically a hiking trail now. It also goes through private property for a ways and its been made pretty clear trespassers are not welcome. That said I have been up there many times when access was better and the old owner was still around so the "No Trespassing" signs weren't there.:roll: Its takes you out onto French Bar flats and above Fench Bar canyon. The road continued down into French Bar Creek where they did quite a bit of mining which is the ONLY reason the road is there in the first place. The road/trail ends at the creek.

yup ..be carefull of whos land your on up in big bar country ..i know guys that have been shot at ..'to scare' up in that country ...some unruley folks in that neck of the woods .

wos
01-04-2011, 08:38 PM
yup I agree with frenchbar on the unruley part I have had some interesting conversations with a couple ranchers in that area. seems some will try to tell you that thy own the whole mountain side and 10' further.

Gilmore
01-04-2011, 08:39 PM
Yeah there's some characters thats for sure!

01-04-2011, 10:14 PM
Beware of that Road.!!

I just about put my old F250 in the drink there..... ya the Fraser from 300 feet above it, to say it has slipped is an understatement.

Finding good water can be a problem there too.

There are deer and sheep, but good luck finding a F/C, the local guide watches it like a hawk, the F/C's are few and far between, best get the draw then try.

CT

300WinMag
07-03-2023, 07:30 AM
Does anyone know the current status of the road? Wondering if it's in good enough shape for a quad or SxS?

Darksith
07-04-2023, 11:38 AM

I thought the road got completely redone for the rock slide to get fixed that blocked the salmon. That being said yes you have to cross private property and the lady that lives there now didn't buy a place there to have guys ripping past her house all hours of the day/night, so no trespassing is enforced. Folks in that country deal with a lot of idiots that have no respect unfortunately, so it makes it tough for the honest guys that ask permission.