PDA

View Full Version : Region 3/5 border on fraser

white moose
01-04-2011, 03:38 PM
For the past two seasons i have taken my boys up into bonaparte area for the region 3 youth hunt. They scored both times on small bucks. I purchased a jetboat and want to hunt the youth season on the fraser. My question is how far south of the gang bridge does it turn into region 3? and how far down could you boat, before frenchbar rapids? I have an 18.5 ft hammerhead. Want to put the boys in front of a nice wide buck.

Gilmore
01-04-2011, 05:15 PM
The west side is Region 5 just about the whole way. It switches over to 3 somewhere in the middle between Lone Cabin and French Bar Creeks. The east side is Region 3 pretty much all the way down. It switches at the height of land just below the Gang Bridge, but don't quote me, check your regs. Its a pretty easy ride all the way down to the rapids at French Bar.

white moose
01-04-2011, 06:13 PM
The west side is Region 5 just about the whole way. It switches over to 3 somewhere in the middle between Lone Cabin and French Bar Creeks. The east side is Region 3 pretty much all the way down. It switches at the height of land just below the Gang Bridge, but don't quote me, check your regs. Its a pretty easy ride all the way down to the rapids at French Bar.
you ever go through the rapids there? Ever hunt start of sept there? Approximately how many km from bridge to yhe rapids?

Orangethunder
01-04-2011, 08:23 PM
The rapids are pretty tame by most standards. Most of the decent bucks will be on private land or a long ways from the river until very late in the year.

Gilmore
01-04-2011, 08:33 PM
you ever go through the rapids there? Ever hunt start of sept there? Approximately how many km from bridge to yhe rapids?

Never been through the rapids myself. Talked to a few who have been, including my Dad, all had tales with varying degrees of terror.:mrgreen: Some said it was a piece of cake and some didn't make it.

I watched 2 guys on one of those Bombardier jet ski jobbies go through it 3 times in about 15 minutes while I was sitting on a horse up above on the flats! So its doable if you and your boat are qualified, but I'll walk thanks. You should really talk to someone other than me about it.

I've hunted there in September but never from a boat. From the bridge to the canyon, I'm not sure its a ways but I'll guess at 20-25 miles.

mark
01-04-2011, 10:06 PM
When you get down to french bar rapids, you'll take one look and turn around and head up stream, praying your motor doesnt skip a beat!

Finding a "nice wide buck" for your boys to shoot, will be much easier from a truck!

But the scenery is awesome, enjoy!

white moose
01-04-2011, 11:18 PM
Thanks for the advice. I'm sure we can find a buck above the canyon. 25 miles is lots of river. We went north of he bridge in oct and saw no bucks, lots of does and sheep. Heard lots of stories of big bucks coming out of frenchbar creek and then up to shorty's cabin or whatever its called. Supposed to be a trail west through a canyon.

mark
01-04-2011, 11:32 PM
Thanks for the advice. I'm sure we can find a buck above the canyon. 25 miles is lots of river. We went north of he bridge in oct and saw no bucks, lots of does and sheep. Heard lots of stories of big bucks coming out of frenchbar creek and then up to shorty's cabin or whatever its called. Supposed to be a trail west through a canyon.

I think you got lied to!

You will see exactly the same down river as up, sheep and does!

There are bucks there of course, and anything can happen, good luck!