PDA

View Full Version : Caronport Saskatchewan

frodo
01-04-2011, 01:23 PM
My wife and I are moving 60 miles West of Regina for two years can anyone tell me what the hunting and fishing is like in that area. Particularily the upland and waterfowl shooting as two labradors are coming with us!!!

elkdom
01-04-2011, 01:33 PM
in the fall migratory bird shooting ?? yes until your shoulders are black and blue, although you will have to scout out friendly farmers well before season, private deeded land as far as the eyes can see,lots of deer,
you will want your Sask provincial ID and medical ASAP, prior to getting Sask Game hunting licenses
start making contacts with rural farmers soon as possible!:wink:

go online to ( Sask Renewable Resources )for more details on resident hunting license requirements

knighthunter
01-04-2011, 04:05 PM
Your going to a great area for hunting and fishing, can I come with you?

2slow
01-04-2011, 05:03 PM
Very fortunate indeed. Lots of birds and lots of deer.

frodo
01-04-2011, 05:04 PM
Your going to a great area for hunting and fishing, can I come with you?Please PM me more!

knighthunter
01-04-2011, 08:21 PM
Fishing--Buffalo Pound, Diefenbaker L, Last Mtn Lake, Fort Quappelle Lake. Trout, walleye, pike, perch. I think the canadian record rainbow came out of one of these lakes a couple of winters ago. Ah crap, I was gonna PM you this info, now everyone's gonna want to move there.

seatoskymiles
01-04-2011, 08:43 PM
grew up there, well scatchurass anyway, there is a deer cull going on or was going on last i heard, the moose are now in central sask now,IE saskatoon, u like goose or ducks that is the place to be

Blainer
01-04-2011, 08:48 PM
You can hunt mosquitos the size of crows!

Jagermeister
01-04-2011, 09:16 PM
Caronport is 22 km west of Moosejaw and 90 km west or Regina. Pretty flat last time I was there. Just make an adventure when you are there. Two years will go by in a flash, you may like it and want to stay, unless you're a mountain boy, in which case you will be driving out to Lethbridge just to get a view of them.
Keep us posted.;)

knighthunter
01-04-2011, 09:23 PM
You can hunt mosquitos the size of crows!

Yeah, and don't forget the grass hoppers.

elkdom
01-04-2011, 09:34 PM
,,,,It is predicted the new Boon & Crockett record scoring Gopher will be harvested near Elbow Sask, near the north east end of Lake Diefenbaker,,

,,, and rumors this fall a new Pope & Young record setting Magpie was
arrowed near Mankota Sask.

,,, also farther to the North, a 19 pound Yellow Perch ,,was landed by
Harvey Keck of Lac la Plonge Sask, ice fishing using his laces from his Wal -Mart runners, Harvey played the Ponderous Perch for 7 hours with just 56 inches of shoe lace and a safety pin for a hook, finished the Perch off with 2 quick ones from his 12 gauge defender,, go Harvey!

God I miss that Province!:cry:

frodo
01-05-2011, 03:01 PM
Come on someone must know about the upland bird hunting-Huns, Sharptails and Pheasants????

waistdeep
01-05-2011, 05:05 PM
Blessings on your adventure :)

dukester
01-07-2011, 07:01 PM
Come on someone must know about the upland bird hunting-Huns, Sharptails and Pheasants????
Welcome to Sask. :-D i was once a BC.rr you are indeed in great up land country and ringnecks, A few million geese come Oct will be in your area. Great mulie hunting(bow season open- rifle is draw) whitetail is great and there are huge moose in your area. head East towards Grenfell or Precville and your into Elk. Indeed there is great Gopher pop. and a ruger 10/22 is a must. Not uncommon to shoot 500-700 rnds/day. Take your wife to Moosejaw to the hotsprings and visit Al Capones tunnels. your in cactus country there in pastures so pack 1st for dogs and twizzers. Also there are a few rattlers west of regina. Enjoy the hot summer. we get the most sunshine/hours then anyother prov. "duke P.S indeed tons of Huns. fast and fly in all directions. lol there fun. maybe we will meet for a hunt.

dukester
01-07-2011, 07:14 PM
As for deer hunting, you will have a blast come Nov whitetail season. we have a liberal Muzz loader season which starts Sept-end of Oct,Nov is whitetail rifle. theres a lake to the west of a few 10-20 kms. this would be a hotspot for geese. Permission to hunt is easy as 90% of land is not fenced and access to land not posted is granted in the regs for hunters.
Town of Craik to the north has good open whitetail hunting. they will hide in the smallest bushes in the middle of a field... any questions pm "duke"

Spirit's Master
01-07-2011, 11:26 PM
Ahhh! memories of the east. Four years in the Jaw, but those were back in my non-hunting days. I hope to go back there someday for the bird hunting. Stay warm and keep the bug dope handy. Used to see pheasants and partridge near MJ and Buffalo Pound while out biking.

cwf

dukester
01-08-2011, 10:23 AM
If you have your house/address / or regiment # get your sask health card. need it to to purchase hunting lic. If your military or police no issue, jusy get it before the retirment party. :mrgreen: forsure i'll make a trip south for a bird hunt. corey.

phil d
01-10-2011, 08:40 PM
I have a place north of there on diefenbaker lake(elbow).I have hunted everything everywhere in canada.you are moving to the best hunting in canada.i will probably spend 4/5 months there this year,when you get settled give me a call when you get settled and we can do some hunting. i moved here from there.
.I have 2 springers(old like me)phild 604 515 1788 wk604 588 9409home.

Surrey Boy
01-11-2011, 02:26 PM
Dare I ask, are you affiliated with Briercrest?

frodo
01-11-2011, 03:58 PM
Dare I ask, are you affiliated with Briercrest?
My wife has accepted a Vice President job there-did you attend?

Surrey Boy
01-11-2011, 04:31 PM
My wife has accepted a Vice President job there-did you attend?

I've got Mennonite relatives and friends all over, and after looking the place up, it doesn't seem there's any other reason to be in Caronport.