PDA

View Full Version : Sheep Hunting Book

Timbow
06-16-2006, 06:05 PM
I have been reading the posts in the "Lets talk Sheep" section and I must say it's one of the best posts I have read in a long time. Not only enjoyable but very informative.

On one of the replies someone mentioned a good sheep book "Sheep Hunting in Alaska" by Tony Russ. Well I thought this would be a good read so I looked in up on Amazon.ca and I was pleasantly suprised to see it there. The catch, used for $137 CDN from the author.

Does this book come with the annual license and a sheep tag?:sad:

Krico
06-16-2006, 06:11 PM
Perhaps that is for some special collector's edition signed copy. I would check out the local book store or library.

bighornbob
06-18-2006, 07:33 PM
Try contacting somebody at the Wild Sheep Society of BC (250) 398-8506 and ask about the book. I just looked up the winter news letter and they are selling the book (2nd èdtion, better then the first) for $25 (that includes shipping and taxes).

Dont think you are going to find it for cheaper and the WSSOBC get some money too.

Give them a call.

BHB

Visle
06-19-2006, 06:44 AM
I always use "abebooks.com" and they offer several copies. The cheapest is US$7.99 plus shipping...great to deal with.

bigwhiteys
01-29-2007, 09:15 PM
I just found this old thread...

For those looking for Sheep Books there was a book published by the title "Great Rams & Great Ram Hunters" written by Robert M. Anderson.

It's an excellent pictorial book of some of the greatest rams ever taken in North America... plenty of stuff from BC and TONS of great pictures.

Collectors Covey has around 70 or so copies left of the limited edition version... This is for a signed copy. The author of the book often pops into their offices and I was able to get him to personalize my copy for me... Which was cool.

Something to think about for some of you sheep nuts that don't have this must have sheep book. Get a copy now before it's REALLY hard to find.

Great Rams & Great Ram Hunters (http://www.collectorscovey.com/greatramsbook1.html) - $75.00 USD + Shipping.

Happy Hunting!
Carl

Alpine85
01-29-2007, 10:02 PM
I bought the book from www.tonyruss.com (http://www.tonyruss.com)

brno375
01-30-2007, 12:01 AM
I can vouch that the "GR&GRH" that Carl suggests is a cool book. It is a real motivator to getting in shape for sheep season. Thanks for the heads up.

Tony's book it good too, and he has another one out called "Sheep Stalking in AK" iirc. I have not read that one yet.

Rod
01-30-2007, 12:19 AM
I ordered sheep stalking in AK as well as Sheep Hunting in AK a couple of weeks ago, haven't seen them yet but it sounds like I made a decent choice.

I also picked up Return to Royalty a while back after it was suggested here, Excellent book with lots of info on species, habitat etc.

Great Rams and Great Ram Hunters will be my next purchase but I gotta slow down or I'll be cutting into the cash supply for actual hunting gear.

brno375
01-30-2007, 12:41 AM
I gotta slow down or I'll be cutting into the cash supply for actual hunting gear.

No kidding. I just picked up "Hunting in the Rockies" by J. O'Connor and on the shelf next to it was "Sheep and Bear Trails" @ $350.

brno375
02-03-2007, 02:49 PM
http://www.trophyroombooks.com

Here is a link to some other hunting books.

Chuck
02-06-2007, 05:42 PM
$350 for a book? What'n the h is it made of, "golden" spruce?

Timbow
02-06-2007, 06:36 PM
I guess someone has to pay for these guys to hunt sheep. Hell, I usually talk sheep hunting at the cost of a cup of coffee!

Tim

brno375
02-06-2007, 08:00 PM
$350 for a book? What'n the h is it made of, "golden" spruce?

First edition, condition, supply and demand.

Rod
02-06-2007, 09:43 PM
hmmm to fill in the details regarding Timbo's original post, my copy of Sheep Hunting in Alaska was $29.95 for a signed and numbered (233 of 1000) 2nd edition hard copy cover from TonyRuss.com