PDA

View Full Version : Bowen Island

natebavis
01-03-2011, 01:59 PM
Thinking about going to bowen island to see if my girlfriend can arrow a deer. Going to call the contact from synopsis tomorrow, other than that any advise. Anyone done this ? Is it mostly/All private land...Lots of loop holes?

SHACK
01-03-2011, 06:19 PM
Heres the skinny, although you could probably find it on a search.

Bowen is only open for hunting ON private land WITH permission of the landowner.
Once writen permission is granted, you must registar with the RCMP detachment on Bowen.
Also, you may only hunt with TRADITIONAL archery equipment, no compounds, no crossbows etc. Stick and string only.

Bowen Isl. residents voted about 8-10 years ago to turn the "unicorperated" Island into a municipality so they could put a damper on hunting through municipal by-laws, since the MOE was not about to change the regulations of the time to make a bunch of granola crunchers happy.
Although MOE is happy to have people hunting there, the municipal by-laws make it a huge nightmare to do so!

Good luck unless you have permission and shoot trad!

If anyone wishes to correct me, go for it, but this is the story I got from the rcmp the last time I hunted there, many, many moons ago.

natebavis
01-03-2011, 06:22 PM
Thanks, thats roughly what i have heard

NaStY
01-03-2011, 06:49 PM
Heres the skinny, although you could probably find it on a search.

Bowen is only open for hunting ON private land WITH permission of the landowner.
Once writen permission is granted, you must registar with the RCMP detachment on Bowen.
Also, you may only hunt with TRADITIONAL archery equipment, no compounds, no crossbows etc. Stick and string only.

Bowen Isl. residents voted about 8-10 years ago to turn the "unicorperated" Island into a municipality so they could put a damper on hunting through municipal by-laws, since the MOE was not about to change the regulations of the time to make a bunch of granola crunchers happy.
Although MOE is happy to have people hunting there, the municipal by-laws make it a huge nightmare to do so!

Good luck unless you have permission and shoot trad!

If anyone wishes to correct me, go for it, but this is the story I got from the rcmp the last time I hunted there, many, many moons ago.

So how can they make it so you cant shoot a compound?

Wolfman
01-03-2011, 06:56 PM
On top of that I have heard that unless you actually *know* somebody who owns private land on Bowen, good luck with getting permission.

Seems that a lot of former 'granola' crunchers (as Shack mentioned) over there have given way to Pam Anderson loving boomers who don't like us evil hunters much.

SHACK
01-03-2011, 07:50 PM
So how can they make it so you cant shoot a compound?

Because municipal by-laws can discriminate easier than provincial and federal laws. Thats the reason they went that route over there. What I understand is that through the comunity meetings etc on making Bowen a "municipality" there were some residents who hunted and wanted to continue hunting, as well as MOE's unwillingness to change the regs to "no hunting" so they came up with this as a way of limiting the pressure they were getting from a few locals that wanted to continue to hunt thier own land.