PDA

View Full Version : Ideas on smaller Dog

~T-BONE~
01-03-2011, 11:32 AM
Been lookin a bit for a smaller all round dog.. Hunting, ride in the truck, let in the house type.. Would prefer a short haired.. A lab is too big and was thinkin along the lines of a cur or yak terrier.. biggest reason for the smaller dog is that i'm not home all that much and would want to take him/her with me. I know it sounds like a tall order but i'm just looking for some ideas...

yukon john
01-03-2011, 12:50 PM
Check these out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rat_Terrier dont let the name turn you off. Always been a big dog guy but had to get something smaller when I moved into town. Picked one up from a good breeder just across the line in Sumas (350$) Awesome dog, very easy to train and eager to please. Think Jack Russell with an off switch, she can go from tornado mode while your playing to sleeping on the couch beside you in less time then it take to turn on the tv. Also trained her to track wounded game and she tracked 5 bear and 2 deer this season. Heres a few pics of some of her early tracks http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=51755&highlight=sifton
Cant say enough good things about these dogs, shes really tough in all weather and she has definatly redeemed small dogs in my book, pm me for more info.
Ps Teddy Rosevelt made them famous so you know they must be good :-D

ruger#1
01-03-2011, 01:07 PM
http://www.dogsorts.com/Visla/ I want one of these when the Germanshorthairs are gone.

mikek blacktail
01-03-2011, 01:10 PM
beagle is a good size

Jetboater
01-03-2011, 01:14 PM
bavarian mountain hounds look awesome... or a good walker hound... I have freind that breeds really small labs like 40-60lbs .. they seem really nice as well....

K-1
01-03-2011, 07:19 PM
Have a look at a Boykin Spaniel

~T-BONE~
01-03-2011, 07:31 PM
Right on gentlemen!! Bokin was on my list as well K-1..(beautiful dog) I've had spaniels growing up and found them to be quite hyper but heard the temperment is a little different with this breed. True?? but the trip to the groomer is somethin I'd prefer to avoid... Rat terrier is a great one with its trackin qualities it would greatly suit my activities..! Keep throwin ideas my way this is good..

Johnny G1
01-03-2011, 10:50 PM
You could try a Laso Shithead like I got, greatest watch dog in the world, Dali Lama had them for guard dogs, wished he had kept them in Tibet, but he is a good little head strong dog. Also nobody bother momma when she walks him every day, he's a killer dog then, take on anything.

Devilbear
01-04-2011, 06:27 AM
German Jagd Terrier, intelligent, hunter, thinks he's a Rottweiler and very affectionate, would be among my top choices. A Dachshund is another and a Bavarian Mountain Hound is on my list for as soon as we move from Vancity back to sanity and I can have the 6 dogs I need.

I have a preference for top quality German dogs and it is because they are so strict about keeping breeds free of genetic anomalies and the problems that arise from these. I also like English breeds, very much and there are several terrier breeds from the UK that appeal to me.

Big Blaze
01-04-2011, 01:09 PM
you could look into a short stock blue healer, a good friend has one, awsome little dog only about 25lbs full grown, but has everything a full size healer does

E.B.
01-04-2011, 04:20 PM
border collie

Kid Hunter
01-08-2011, 05:23 PM
check out kerelian bear dogs. (I think that's how its spelled.) They're a decently small size dog and really cool. Really fast and smart dogs. They can be a little stubborn but you just have to work hard and you can have it well trained, like with most dogs.

tuchodi
01-09-2011, 10:07 AM
Check out the Spitz, they are mostly from the Scandinavian country's and were used by hunters for tracking and are a great family dog and a watch dog. They are small to medium in size and do well in cold or warm climates. Very loyal and smart.

BlacktailStalker
01-09-2011, 01:26 PM
Look at springer spaniels.
Perfect size.
I grew up with one, love to get one for my boy when he's older.
Shooter has a couple, ask him about them.

Downtown
01-09-2011, 01:54 PM
Been lookin a bit for a smaller all round dog.. Hunting, ride in the truck, let in the house type.. Would prefer a short haired.. A lab is too big and was thinkin along the lines of a cur or yak terrier.. biggest reason for the smaller dog is that i'm not home all that much and would want to take him/her with me. I know it sounds like a tall order but i'm just looking for some ideas...

Check out some of my posts then you see what worked for me for the past 30years plus.

girlhunter1
01-09-2011, 04:55 PM
love my bavarian mountain hound, perfect size dog

BCBRAD
01-09-2011, 05:20 PM
Look at a female Airedale, around 50lbs, no shedding, good temperment
http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee304/whelenpg/babinesept2008017.jpg

doesn't seem to be scared of anything . She is free in the house all day with her partner, an 80 lb male Airedale, no problems with either

d_j__c
01-10-2011, 03:37 PM
plummer terriers are neat little dog check them out.

gmcgilli66
01-11-2011, 09:40 PM
How about a Brittany Spaniel, if you do any upland at all. Also a great companion dog, will water retrieve, hardy as heck with a cheery disposition, loves to be active, and will ride in the vehicle all day with you.

Foxton Gundogs
02-21-2011, 02:26 PM
Look at springer spaniels.
Perfect size.
I grew up with one, love to get one for my boy when he's older.
Shooter has a couple, ask him about them.
A men I have Goldens and Field bred Springers Great little dogs true ALROUBD gun dog and family pet.

Buckman
02-21-2011, 07:05 PM
Try a wired haired fox terrier. 15lbs and never quits!

bugler
02-21-2011, 09:08 PM
I've got a blue healer/jack russell cross. Really cool little dog. Short hair, full of energy, smart and a natural tracker (I just need to work on getting him to track the right things). There are a few people breeding them now but still a bit rare.

3245s
09-10-2012, 05:57 PM
I had the same idea as you, but with the kids begging for a small dog too. I said yes to the small dog , but I get to pick the breed. I chose the Patterdale Terrier. A close second choice would have been the Jagd Terrier. Our Patterdale has been a perfect dog. Been a great family dog, loves the water, bush, and can easily be trained to chase anything you want, within reason. We got ours from a breeder in Idaho. Could not find any of them any closer.

sed8ed
09-10-2012, 11:56 PM
Brittany... Next dog will be a Brit, then another lab.

Btw, my lab goes everywhere with me... Prince Rupert, chetwynd, nelson, corner store... etc

afflicted 1
09-11-2012, 02:23 AM
I have a male puggle and we love him, he even tracked my bow killed buck the other night like it was nothing probably saved me an hour

Geo.338
09-11-2012, 05:59 AM
Puggles and beagles are cool we have a springer and he is a great all round good family and kid type dog . Those Boykins look awesome too !