PDA

View Full Version : Who all got bears.

Steeleco
06-16-2006, 08:05 AM
Bigwhiteys asked a question on another thread that gave me an Idea.

I myself got only one bear and only saw one other one on the last weekend but he got away. I know some of you guys/gals saw more bear in a week that I see in a season.

So let's here some BRIEF account's of your 2006 spring bear hunts.

todbartell
06-16-2006, 08:10 AM
I didnt really even head out with the intention on killing a bear, although I did pack a gun with me fishing once, and passed on a chocolate colored bear in early May.

Joe89
06-16-2006, 08:17 AM
After hundreds in gas and lost wages, I have come to the conclusion there are no bears left in B.C. I think they all moved to Alberta like most of the province, lmao.

I did see a few , but nothing worth shooting. Was fun, looking forward to fall

mainland hunter
06-16-2006, 08:21 AM
i saw some one nice cinnamon but i had no shot so none for me this year, till fall

LOC
06-16-2006, 09:04 AM
saw lots of bears, onyl problem was they all had cubs with them :(

The only two possible shooters, couldn't get close enough to them to 1) get a shot, 2) confirm they had no cubs

Still good to get out. All the cubs we saw were brown / cinnamon so I can wait a year or two till they are shootable :)

bigwhiteys
06-16-2006, 09:06 AM
I saw over 60 bears in total, at least 10 of those were decent shooters and I finally decided on a nice old 6' 3" mature male.

The Island is crawling with these black stinky critters.

Happy Hunting!
Carl

greenhorn
06-16-2006, 09:07 AM
In my first year of hunting I was lucky enough to get two good size boars.

The first one was a biggie, and we butchered him into roasts and steaks.

The second was a little smaller, and had pepperoni done!

Both my bears were taken from the Cowichan area. On my last three day trip, the group I was with saw twelve bears. They were literally everywhere!

mark
06-16-2006, 09:10 AM
well i failed as a grizz guide, saw about 30 blackies, passed on a 6.5' brown (that was an easy shot) then never saw a better bear. oh well, i still got to much meat in the freezer from last year anyway!

Walksalot
06-16-2006, 09:14 AM
I bought a tag and threatened to chase them around.

Barracuda
06-16-2006, 09:15 AM
Studied alot of bears alot of bears , chose not to cut my tag .

ryanb
06-16-2006, 10:33 AM
Probably seen 300+ black bears this spring. Only went out hunting for blackies one day and took the first legal one I saw about 15 minutes into hunting. Saw a 6.5-7' Cinamon yesterday afternoon that made me wish I had bought another tag, but that's the way it goes sometimes.

colt52
06-16-2006, 10:53 AM
A buddey and I spent eight days (day trips) mostley in the Harrison/ Chehalis area. We went as far as Tulameen, and onley saw 5 bears ,one of them twice. The one we saw twice was a three leged cub on the norrish creek rd. Only two shooters and they were to fast for us

puppychow
06-16-2006, 11:10 AM
Out for 2 days in the Nit Nat saw quite a few. Took one, about 250, lots of pepperoni.

one-shot-wonder
06-16-2006, 11:31 AM
I saw in excess of 40 bears this spring, probably half dozen I should have shot, but was holding out for an absolute hawg!!:eek:

Here is a pic of one I regret not shooting lots of video of this guy all from bow range...Found a beauty spot here, the grass is easily 20"+ long!!!!:cool:

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c387/One-Shot-Wonder/Freighttrain.jpg

Elkhound
06-16-2006, 11:40 AM
Nothing wrong with that bear.

Was lucky enough to tag a nice one this year and was very fortunate to be present for 3 others taken by HBC members. The first bear for two of those members. Lost count how many I did see over the season. Really enjoyed the hunts I was on, met new people and saw some big bears and lots of little ones. Was great to see and study so many this year.

On a side note, loved all the pics and stories posted as well. Doesn't matter if the bear was a 5 or 7fter. All were trophies to the ones hunting and I know I really enjoyed everyone's sharing of their hunts.

3kills
06-16-2006, 11:54 AM
i passed on the one lil dink that i seen this year...i seen it the day before my brother inlaw had a stroke...and that was the last day we did anything together...but thats going to change :D

Gateholio
06-16-2006, 12:12 PM
Saw lots of bears, a coupel of big ones that I didn't get ashot at.

Took a funny looking cionnamon racoon bear.:cool:

On the last day I coudl hunt, (Wednesday) I saw 4 bears and came very, very close to droppping the hammer on a gorgeous, thick furred black bear but decided not to in the end, since it was just not *quite* large enough for me.

The other night Gilmore and I were wathcing 6 bears all feed in close proximity to each other, when anoter smaller bear came out to feed and he got snapped at by a larger bear, so he ran up a tree, then dissapeared.

Out came another bear, and we had 8 bears all feeding together within 200 yards of each other.

No trigger was pulled at any time.8-)

lip_ripper00
06-16-2006, 12:15 PM
I failed to fill my grizz LEH saw one sow with a cub had to be a bore around some where But I could'nt find him. Did manage to bring home a good sized black.In the three days I was around Bear Lake I must have seen 20 bears. Looking forward to the fall

youngfellla
06-16-2006, 12:29 PM
Filled out my grizzly tag in May:biggrin:

Chased lots of blackies around home but not many big ones, and missed my chance at a big brownie.

My cousin and I went out Sunday evening and he ended up taking a nice 6'3'' blackie, his first black bear. The darn bear went and died over a 40 ft bank and we had no ropes to pull it up, so it was a long grunt by hand getting him out!

Rookie
06-16-2006, 01:21 PM
Well I went out with Curliss a few times and seen plenty of bears including some real nice color phase.Got pretty close to a mama grizz and her two cubs.Checked out some beautiful new country and met some cool folks.Only saw one bear that I wanted to shoot and he was too spooky and bolted.So even though I didn`t fill my tag to me it was a good season.I`ll have to wait till the fall to try and find my biggun.

pupper
06-16-2006, 01:32 PM
I went for 2 days and saw 23 bears, I got one with my bow, My hunting partner Sid got one w/ bow and one w/ rifle

Kirby
06-16-2006, 01:43 PM
Saw lots, passed on lots. I think at last count it was 23 or 24 bears in bow range that I wallked away from. Maybe I'll shoot one in the fall, but not likely.

Kirby

MichelD
06-16-2006, 01:47 PM
I only saw 4 bears this year.

I was away all of May on a work and family visit, so I only got out twice, once with Slyfox in April and we murdered a box of clays but saw no bears, then last Saturday I went to visit Symon.

I picked him up and we dropped by to visit Elkhound on our way to the hills. Had a brief conflab so we wouldn't be overlapping our hunts as he was heading out with his family later.

Symon and I started walking up the logging road at about 3:00 p.m and saw a ma and a cub right off the bat, hiked up and then down for several hours, and then around 6:30 spotted one when we were almost back at the truck. After a tense 15 minute stalk climbing first down a steep bank then up a deep steep gravel slope trying to remain silent and avoid kicking any loose gravel and rocks down, we got to the crest of the ditch and watchit feedin gin the clover. All I could see was its back and it seemed to be grazing down the other side of a little bump, going out of sight. I watched it through the scope and when it turned sideways and lifted its head up, resting on he log we were hiding behind, I put the crosshairs just below the shoulder and shot.

I shot it at about 6:45 and it bolted across the road into the bush. For a moment I thought I had missed. But there was a significant blood trail so we left it five minutes then looked and it was right there, four feet into the thicket, only it was so dark in there we hadn't realized it had dropped dead within sight.

We chased away another bear who came look, then got to work.

By 7:50 it was skinned, quartered, wrapped in cotton, in the truck and cooled with ice bottles.

Nice little eating bear.

"Don"t bring home any more big boars," were my instructions from the household butcher and cook.

It was surprising how many meal-size packages of stew, ribs, roasts and burger it made. Just as many as a small two-point buck.

Elkhound
06-16-2006, 02:09 PM
I was glad it worked out so perfectly for you Michel. Symon was pretty excited as well. Should be tasty

Krico
06-16-2006, 04:05 PM
Passed on many a black bear, including one which was especially hefty-only because I was holding out to cut the grizz tag in my pocket. Did manage to share in the taking of my buddies grizz though, so all was not lost.

Barracuda
06-16-2006, 04:20 PM
just remember spring part isnt over for all areas yet and on top of that we still have the next half of the season left.

BCLongshot
06-16-2006, 04:25 PM
I saw probably a dozen here in the Fraser Valley but I want a huge 1.

I think I'll have to go to the Island.

gary mok
06-16-2006, 04:28 PM
I saw 7 bears, 2 in boston bar,5 in van island but only 3 of them are shooter,I got mine on the island;) .

livingston
06-16-2006, 06:24 PM
Got my first black bear this year saw lots out cowichan way about 40 in two days.I held out to get a bigger bear but in the end shot a smaller bear thinking it was the bigger of two together.Thanks to HBC member Bigwhiteys for a couple of great day trips.

bsa30-06
06-16-2006, 06:33 PM
I got my first bear this year, it wasn't huge but it was a beautiful blonde / cinnamon color and i was happy with it.I will hold out for a larger bear in the fall.

~T-BONE~
06-17-2006, 01:55 PM
This had to have been one of my better years for seeing coloured bears, about 20 of the 50 bears I ran into! There was one bear I had been seeing sign from in a washedout powerline area. The underbrush thickened up to quickly for a good vantage point for glassing as well as being a bad crosswind area made it next to impossible to see this bear. I did get out midday once and to my surprise I seen this monster 500+ easily his yellowy light brown coat shimmered as the wind blew through it as he stood taking up the entire access rd. with his gut almost dragging on the ground:eek: Imade the stalk and once again the damm winds shifted as I got witin shooting range.There he goes like a bat outa hell serves me right for taking the 30-30 with open sights shoulda brought the 300mag!! maybe next spring. Other than that there is still is alot of snow around Iwas unable to get into some of my more exciting areas:cry: :cry:

sidney-hunter
06-17-2006, 07:55 PM
i started off the season all stoked to shoot a nice freezer bear, saw about 60 or so over the season. got within 20 yards of 2 or 3, almost got jumped by one while putting the crosshairs on a pal of his... that was a new experience. in the end though, for one reason or another i shot a grand total of 0 bears. yes, im still wondering what the hell i was thinking.

endtimerwithabow
06-17-2006, 08:50 PM
bagged a small 1 plus seen a very large brown colored 1 on closing day about half hour of shootin light left but he was gone, cant wait till fall! I'm holdin out for him even if it takes 2 years of waitin.

Dragginbait
06-18-2006, 08:21 AM
I was hoping to get out more this year, but I had to stay home and look after my mom. She past away last friday on the 9th. I think that was her way of saying "leave those pretty bears alone". She didn't like me going bear hunting , but I still have my tag and fall is just around the corner, so hopefully one will be coming home with me then. Congrats for those of you who got there yogis this spring!

bsa30-06
06-18-2006, 09:56 AM
Dragginbait, i'm sorry to hear about your mom, Best wishes to you and your family.

puppychow
06-18-2006, 07:41 PM
My condolensence on your loss. Mom probably wanted you to be with her. If you intend to hunt for bear this fall, I have a beautiful area. One in Port Renfrew and in the Cowichan valley. Lots of bears.

Byson
06-18-2006, 10:19 PM
my partner got a brown bear i got a black with a white chest 2days later i like my bear so much i took it to highcaliber to get a rug made forgot that it takes a long time to get it back. My Partner took his meat to Di Massimos for sausage and peproni i took mine to ennis farms we are sharing the 2 bears to compare Di Massimo peproni is fricking out of this world but i the smokies i got from ennis are too the price at Di Massimo is a little more but not by much ennis has a lot more hanging space

ryanb
06-18-2006, 10:30 PM
my partner got a brown bear i got a black with a white chest 2days later i like my bear so much i took it to highcaliber to get a rug made forgot that it takes a long time to get it back. My Partner took his meat to Di Massimos for sausage and peproni i took mine to ennis farms we are sharing the 2 bears to compare Di Massimo peproni is fricking out of this world but i the smokies i got from ennis are too the price at Di Massimo is a little more but not by much ennis has a lot more hanging space

Ennis is where I took my bear this year and last year too. Pepperoni left something to be desired, jerky I had made this year is GOOD, and Garlic ring I haven't tried yet. Ennis is at least easy to bring your bear in, just show up and fork it over.

Byson
06-18-2006, 10:43 PM
Ennis is where I took my bear this year and last year too. Pepperoni left something to be desired, jerky I had made this year is GOOD, and Garlic ring I haven't tried yet. Ennis is at least easy to bring your bear in, just show up and fork it over.The Garlic rings are GOOD i totaly agree about just show up and you know you're animal is going to get hung i took a deer there last year and it was yummy and so is my Bear

death-junky
06-19-2006, 09:13 AM
I got one :D little guy but a bear non the less
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a168/death-junky/DSC00618.jpg
ttyal
Riley