PDA

View Full Version : hunting coyotes in fernie area

kevin_dahl
01-02-2011, 11:08 AM
hey all, next week ill b moving to the fernie area(elkford to b exact) to work for about a month or 2. question is, whats the coyote population up around that area? we'll b working 6 days a week but id like to try to get some hunting done. anyone know of some decent areas up there? id like to keep it within a 1 1/2 drive. thanks a lot

kishman
01-02-2011, 11:26 AM
Head up the Elk Valley and go nuts! I hunt there in Sept. for Deer and Elk, always see 'yotes and lots of 'yote sign. I've camped at Blue "Lake" lots of times and heard them going crazy all around the area at night. What kind of call/deke's are you using?

PS: Your one lucky dog to be moving to such a beautiful part of the world.

kevin_dahl
01-02-2011, 12:34 PM
PS: Your one lucky dog to be moving to such a beautiful part of the world.

ive always loved travelling through the kootenays and have had the opportunity to hunt there acouple times and was amazed at the amount of game we saw. im super stoked for spending some time up there. as for calls/decoys, ive never hunted yotes before so this is a whole new experience. i plan on heading out to italian before i leave and hopefully someone there can point me in the right direction in that department. i know wholesale has a bunch of calls but i only go there as a last resort, rather support our locals boys first.

gunpower
01-02-2011, 09:36 PM
hey all, next week ill b moving to the fernie area(elkford to b exact) to work for about a month or 2. question is, whats the coyote population up around that area? we'll b working 6 days a week but id like to try to get some hunting done. anyone know of some decent areas up there? id like to keep it within a 1 1/2 drive. thanks a lot

:neutral: Lived in Elkford for 34 years and haven't really done much yote hunting
as there not all that many around. The local trapper takes care of them.
In the past few years I've seen lots of sign but old. Not much for openings to watch over unless you have snowmoble.

brenden
01-02-2011, 10:33 PM
I've called and killed coyotes on the Elk Main north of Elkford. There are better places south of the tunnel. About an hours drive from Elkford you can hit up Kookanusa Lake. Good doggin........real good.....

Brenden

kevin_dahl
01-03-2011, 03:10 PM
thx for all the info guys. we'll see how much time i get off up there

Mikey Rafiki
01-03-2011, 05:41 PM
I would also suggest heading south and getting near the kootenay/koocausa.

todbartell
01-03-2011, 09:50 PM
Cant help on the area, but as for equipment/tactics I can. To keep it basic and simple, a rabbit distress or two will be the calls you'll want to get. Id suggest a cottontail and a jackrabbit as they sound different (one high pitch, the other more raspy). Mixing things up can often bring them in.

Keep the wind in your favor, try to set up so the wind will blow your scent across the wide open where a coyote will have to expose himself in the open to get your scent. Sneak in quiet and out of sight, find a shady spot to sit that will break up your outline and prepare to sit for 30-45 minutes. Id suggest calling for 30-45 seconds then sitting silent in watch for 3-5 minutes. If you see one coming in, switch to a simple lip squeek/kissing sound. Id also suggest getting a pad to sit on and some shooting sticks

have fun!