PDA

View Full Version : Moose Survey Results Region 8 (partial)

carnivore
01-02-2011, 10:13 AM
See recently completed survey results below. Maybe the L.E.H. and GOS in this region is too conservative, what do you think?

Information regarding moose survey
After 5 great days of weather and hard work on the part of the ‘crew’, the flying portion is now complete.
A block census was conducted in 8-11 and classification flights were conducted in parts of 8-10,22,23 (Aberdeen Plateau), 8-10,12 (McCullough Lake) and the north end of 8-08.
I’d like to take this opportunity to thank Sean Lenarduzzi who was the pilot from Advanatage Helicopters, Kim Poole (Aurora Wildlife Research), Les Gyug (Okanagan Wildlife Consulting), Jim Beck, Greg Hoyer, Drew Carmichael and Brian Harris. I’d also like to thank Brian Mellis from Flightline Aviation Wear who is going to give Sean a new flight suit.
Like to thank the folks in the Fish, Wildlife and Habitat Protection Branch who were able to come up with some money, all the clubs who donated, as well as the Okanagan Wildlife Heritage Society Fund.
The results of the work are likely going to result in more questions then answers. The good news is it appears we have a lot more moose than we thought in 8-11. The 2007 estimate was 198 moose and we’ll likely end up with 350-400 as the new estimate. It appears bull:cow ratios are less than 30:100, although they came up with 28 bulls:100 cows on the Aberdeen Plateau which is well above any flight conducted since 1996 (generally it’s been around 16 bulls:100 cows).
Here is a quick summary from Kim:
We had only 5 bald bulls and 1 Class II with a single antler out of 60 bulls (8% bald), so that was pretty good. I’ll have to check my data before summarizing bull classes.
8-11 stratified random block survey (naïve totals and ratios only):
·Total of 219 moose (+2 spike bulls outside of block and MU and in MU 8-08)
·~32 calves:100 cows
·~24 bulls:100 cows
·Naïve (from Gasaway Moosepop) estimate is 289 moose (will change slightly as I have to adjust some block areas), plus the sight ability correction factor which may end up in the mid to upper 300s range for the final estimate (just a guess)
8-10 classification flight (Aberdeen Plateau, which stretched into a bit of 8-22 and 8-23):
·Total of 80 moose
·~32 calves:100 cows
·~28 bulls:100 cows

8-10 classification flight (McCullough Lake area, which stretched into a bit of 8-12):
·Total of 22 moose (small sample; didn’t get over to far west of McCullough)
·~29 calves:100 cows
·~29 bulls:100 cows

Both ends of 8-10 appear similar in ratios, so could lump (102 moose; 31 calves:100 cows; 28 bulls:100 cows)

8-08 classification flight (northern end only; did get over to the west side):
·Total of 60 moose
·~24 calves:100 cows
·~17 bulls:100 cows

Overall this project really shows that the funding we have is not adequate to properly monitor or manage wildlife. With ~2200 resident moose hunters in Region 8 we’re brining in $55,000+ in license fees annually, never mind the economic contribution – it’s something like 17,000 days! Most years we don’t have the money to conduct inventory and as a result we have to manage conservatively. As consumptive users, the trickle-down effect severely limits the opportunity to hunt and harvest wildlife.
We should expect a report from Kim by late January-early February. At that point we’ll have a better handle on things and we’ll be able to come up with a plan.

doubled
01-02-2011, 11:26 AM
Wonder how many guys will be hitting those areas now with this in the "public" spotlight???

Gunner
01-02-2011, 12:21 PM
Wonder how many guys will be hitting those areas now with this in the "public" spotlight???
With the shortened spike/fork season and the small number of mature bull LEHs in Region 8 it really doesn't matter. Gunner

doubled
01-02-2011, 12:55 PM
Not so sure about that. When I saw this data on the 29th, the first thing I thought was there was alot more moose there then I originally guessed. I am sure the hunting pressure will increase because of this. I do not hunt the area much so not really concerned but I am sure there are a few guys here that are going to be a little pi$$ed when they see this info.

one-shot-wonder
01-02-2011, 01:38 PM
Why would guys be pissed about seeing a growing healthy moose population.......

The feedback I have heard from our club membership is the inventory flight was money well spent!

Stone Sheep Steve
01-02-2011, 01:47 PM
A good chunk of those areas are considered "wintering" areas. I see tonnes of moose sign in the spring in my whitey area and spring bear areas....but not much for moose sign in those areas during the fall.

This info should help to battle the G/O mis-info out there.

All good.

SSS

doubled
01-02-2011, 02:26 PM
The info is exactly what they need to make decisions. It is what they need to do everywhere.

I just think that it should be kept internal and not disclosed publicly. Just my opinion.

NaStY
01-02-2011, 03:10 PM
From what I understand most of the survey was done by the private sector anyways....

GoatGuy
01-02-2011, 03:36 PM

All of the past flights and reports are available online - it is public information.

The number of moose found in that MU is likely more reflective of the moose in the region as opposed to that MU. The central part of the Okanagan was surveyed in 1999 and the block count in 8-11 only gives us a tool to compare with the estimates.

kebes
01-02-2011, 05:10 PM
I'm not really surprised that there are more moose then they thought. I've seen tons of cows and calves in the couple areas I hunt (mostly in 8-23 or nearby). Good to hear the herd is doing well.

BillyBull
01-02-2011, 07:01 PM
Its nice to see the moose counts up, really miss hunting R8. The early mid 70's were great when there was far fewer roads... mainly trails between Westbank and Merritt.

scope-bite
01-02-2011, 08:19 PM
Don't know much about the survey but I wouldn't expect much of an increase in LEH numbers with a bull ratio of only 30 per 100 cows, whether or not the total moose numbers are up. I think a bull ratio of 30 is the minimum they like to have in moose populations.

kebes
01-02-2011, 08:25 PM
Shoot some cows? :)

carnivore
01-03-2011, 09:30 AM
Shoot some cows? :)

That would get the bull ratio up.:mrgreen:

The Hermit
01-03-2011, 09:46 AM
Great info thanks for posting. How much money did the flight time cost? Planning a donation for when I win the lottery!

GoatGuy
01-03-2011, 09:47 AM
Great info thanks for posting. How much money did the flight time cost? Planning a donation for when I win the lottery!

Jet Ranger goes for around 1000/hr right now.

The Hermit
01-03-2011, 09:53 AM
Jet Ranger goes for around 1000/hr right now.

How many hours flown to do the survey?

GoatGuy
01-03-2011, 10:24 AM
How many hours flown to do the survey?

Just over 32 for that work.

Jedcote50
01-03-2011, 02:24 PM
I like to add my ' 2 cents' regarding this moose survey. I've hunted out of Kelowna for over 30 years, I put in lots of time pre-season scouting to keep up on habitat changes (logging). This year I saw more mature bulls and cow- calf pairs than ever before, on both sides of the lake. However this is the first year I didn't even see a immature bull during GOS in 8-10 or 8-12. I did notice an increase in hunter numbers, especially the road-masters and quaders. I would like to believe that the over all moose population is on the rise but that may be attributed to the easy winter last year more than anything else.The conservative number of LEH's issued in this area is frustrating but neccessary if the herd is to keep on getting stronger but I don't agree with targeting just immature bulls in the GOS. Areas such as the Okanagan that are subjected to intense hunter numbers should be monitored and surveyed on a regular and long term basis to ensure accurate forecasts but we are also may need to look at other restrictions in order to achieve a healthy and natural population diversity. In my opinion the one single aspect that has changed hunting in the last 15 years is exploding numbers of ATV or quad hunters. I don't use one, I think they're smelly and noisy, but they sure do get into places that most weekend hunters wouldn't get to if they had to walk. I know that I'll be pissin' off some guys out there but if the restrictions were increased on the use of ATV's than the benefits would be more and less spooky wildlife.
It is good to see a survey of this caliber conducted in these areas for moose, I just wonder if they also happened to count any other species such as elk or bears as well?

GoatGuy
01-03-2011, 03:24 PM
I would like to believe that the over all moose population is on the rise but that may be attributed to the easy winter last year more than anything else.

The moose population didn't double in 8-11 because of 'one easy winter'. :wink:

Moose simply aren't that productive. :mrgreen: White-tails deer can't even do that.

BCrams
01-03-2011, 03:37 PM
jedcote50 - the number of LEH authorizations for resident hunters are a tad too conservative in Region 8 (as well as other regions). Need to liberalize things across the board more.

boxhitch
01-03-2011, 04:30 PM
............The conservative number of LEH's issued in this area is frustrating but neccessary if the herd is to keep on getting stronger but I don't agree with targeting just immature bulls in the GOS. ..........Why do the numbers have to get stronger ? As if there is a happy number that pleases everybody
There are enough critters there to provide opportunity, so lets get after them, until success drops showing a pivotal point
to reduce a season because of good success is a tad ludicrous
There will never be the money needed to micro manage any species so other means have to be used
GOS for s/f is a failsafe offering. one would think.