PDA

View Full Version : Digital Camera's....help please!

Bigbuckadams
06-16-2006, 05:42 AM
Hi all, I am thinking of buying a Digital camera. I have never owned a good camera, just those stupid disposable 35mm, thus, I have no idea what I need. Ideally, I would like to take a picture of a deer @ 100 yards, that would show enough detail to count points, etc.. I am not on a large budget, but any help with brands, models, etc.etc.etc. would be a great help!!! Thanks!

honda450
06-16-2006, 06:01 AM
I just bought a HP E317 for $107.00 at Staples. it 5 MP with a zoom of 4X. Its really user friendly and very compact, which was a good feature to carry while hunting. It comes with everything you need to download the pictures. Now if it will take a decent picture at 100 yards is questionable. But overall it fit my needs and budget as well. Hope this helps you somewhat. It also has a slot for an extra memory card which does not come with the camera, but with the memory it does have built in you can take 18 pictures.

BCLongshot
06-16-2006, 06:01 AM
Olympus you can buy a good 1 for $ 300ish.

Ronforca
06-16-2006, 06:05 AM
I just bought a new Digital.It is a Sony Cyber Shot DSC-H2.It cost around $450.00 @ London Drugs.It has 6 Megapixels and a 12 x Carl Zeiss Optical Zoom.Sensitivity is 1000 ISO.It has super steady shot so if you move the Camera a bit while taking a picture it will not effect the final result.Seems to be pretty good.Be prepared to buy a memory card on top of everything else as the new Digital have very little memory.With memory card and carrying case + taxes you are looking @ around $650.00

Stone Sheep Steve
06-16-2006, 06:35 AM
Take a look at the Casio Exilms(sp?). I picked one up last year for a sheep hunt and it was great! Ultracompact. If you're looking for a small convenient camera check this series out. I just saw a list of the top 10 ultracompacts and the Casio Exilms were 2nd and 3rd on the list. Mine is a 5.1MP and I paid about $330 for it last year. The two listed were 8 and 7 MPs. Not weatherproof but I keep mine in a small ziplock for backpack hunts. It also takes great pics .

SSS

Ozone
06-16-2006, 06:42 AM
One important thing to know is digital zoom means nothing, optical zoom is what your looking for. Go to every camera shop around and ask lots of questions. Ask if you can step out side (with the salesperson) and take a pic of someones licence plate at 100yrds and see how well you can read it. I pesonally have a Olyimpus C750 and love it.

Ian F.
06-16-2006, 07:08 AM
http://www.imaging-resource.com/

Go here, spend some time, the single best, unbiased source of info I've ever found. I took his reccomendations when I bought my S1 IS, and he was 110% correct..

Ian

Steeleco
06-16-2006, 07:50 AM
Get yourself a Canon S2IS, I just got one in the spring, 5meg and 12x optical zoom with upto 48x digital zoom. Fantastic camera. They have come down alot since I bought mine because the next generation S3IS is now out.

I took a picture of a Robin in my back yars at 10yds, with the zoom feature in my computer I can see the reflection of my house (outline) in it's eye

brotherjack
06-16-2006, 08:01 AM
You want all the megapixles and zoom you can afford. I have an Olympus 500-UZ, which is a 10x zoom and 6 megapixles. I'm quite happy with it, and I'm pretty sure you could make 100 yards with it.

MB_Boy
06-16-2006, 09:27 AM
I have been very happy with my new Canon SD750.....(it's the one in Maria Sharpova....the tennis player......it's in her 'shorts' on the commercial:wink: ). It is in the ~$500 range but takes outstanding pics. I just have to figure out how to resize them as all the shots are about 2MB.

I think it is pretty safe to say just pick up a Saturday paper and look for the 'Future Shop' ad. The prices are certainly coming down and you can pick up a camera that will suit you just fine for under $200. The thing to remember is to have a look at the memory card that comes with the camera.......they are usually quite small as far as storage and for an extra ~$60ish dollars you can get a 512MB or 1GB card that will store tonnes of pictures. I managed to get a 1GB card for mine that at the highest 'resolution' will store around 400 images. The card was only about $70 at Future Shop.

If you do a search on this site you will see a few threads about buying a camera as I started a few when I was looking at making the 'leap' and there were plenty of members who helped out.

ryanb
06-16-2006, 10:45 AM
I would buy from London Drugs vs Future shop. The people know more about what they're selling and will match anyone's price.

If you want to take lots of wildlife photos, you want a big zoom, like at least 10x. I have the canon one with 12x zoom and it takes good photos.
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=2718&cat=500&ppuser=23

MB_Boy
06-16-2006, 10:52 AM
I would buy from London Drugs vs Future shop.

Very good advice......I bought my camera through a big camera outfit in Toronto www.henrys.com (http://www.henrys.com) that my Dad has used for years, but as Ryan said.....I would purchase items like that through LD as opposed to FS.

jethrobuddy
06-16-2006, 09:27 PM
http://www.steves-digicams.com/default.htm

Check out the Pentax Optio WP or the Olympus Stylus 600. THe waterproof thing is important where I hunt..... If it ain't comming from above, it is comming from within.

i6s1
06-16-2006, 10:18 PM
www.megapixel.net

Canadian site, reviews for just about everything.

todbartell
06-16-2006, 10:35 PM
my Canon died on me after a year and a bit :icon_frow $170 to repair, I wont even bother.

I looked at the Bushnell outdoor camera, but wasnt impressed much :-o

Bigbuckadams
06-17-2006, 06:25 AM
Hi again everyone, thank you for the input so far :lol: . I did a little bit of research on the site Ian F. mentioned ( thanks!! ), I will continue to do a bit more. Looks like I may have to spend a bit more than planned originally, but I guess it beats looking at my pics with a magnifying glass to see why I took the pic! So far, I think I am leaning towards the Canon 2S IS w/ext. warranty, but I have a lot more "research" to do before I do buy. After that, all I have to do is convince the wife how much we need this;) . Thanks again everyone, any other comments are appreciated!!!

06-17-2006, 07:17 AM
my Canon died on me after a year and a bit :icon_frow $170 to repair, I wont even bother.

X2......l bought a cannon a few years back, and its ready for its third trip back to the depot for repairs. And the various snags l have experienced with it haven't been human induced.....its been electronic screw ups in the camera itself. Plan on getting another in the next little while, but it won't be a cannon, last thing l want is a POS that lets me down when you have once in a lifetime picture opps.

Steeleco
06-17-2006, 08:55 AM
Bigbuck, if your looking at the S2IS I'd get one soon before they pull them from the shelves. Or else just save a few more pennies and get the S3.

Another trick is buy it on a credit card and double the warranty FOR FREE!!!!

ruger#1
06-17-2006, 09:46 AM
A thing that was not mentioned here is that you can , also make movies with you camera, i have a kodiak, 4 mega pixxals and a 512meg memory card, i also take with me my laptop, transfer my pics to it, i can get over 500 pics on that card, also the camera has 10 x optical zoom. it also takes nice pictures from far away.

youngfellla
06-17-2006, 05:02 PM
I just picked up a Sony Cybershot digital camera today. 6.0 MP, 4x zoom, and a 1 GB memory card. Looks good so far, but I guess I'll see how it holds up.:D

No more waiting for film to get developed:cool: