PDA

View Full Version : New to hunting, not to shooting

hitchface
01-01-2011, 08:12 PM
Hey folks!

Joke first.

So a cannibal passed his buddy in the woods the other day...

OK. Intro. Um...I'm currently living on Vancouver Island in the CR, looking to try my hand at hunting. Mostly looking to do upland birds to start with and move my way towards turkeys/waterfowl and eventually on up to the big boys. Part of that is because of transportation (I ride a dual-sport motorcycle...easier to haul out birds than an elk) and part of it is general inexperience with hunting.

Been shooting lots. I was in the Air Cadets from 12-19, on the range team for nearly all of it. Have a lot of hardware from some DCRA shoots and the like, but of course that was with .22s (Lee Enfield 303s, converted and some Anschutz). Have some experience with skeet/trap shooting as well, but nothing competitive. Basically, not new to firearms...but brand spankin' new to hunting.

Anyhow, looking forward to talkin' with you folks, getting and giving advice and providing some pictures of successful hunts. My wife and I are getting more and more into smart eating and not being so reliant on the 'system' as it were. Nothing against it, I just like to know where my food comes from and be able to work with my hands and not be totally useless in a pinch.

So...Hi!

tgard
01-01-2011, 08:24 PM
Welcome. If you post this in the Vancouver Island section you'll likely get more responses.

hitchface
01-01-2011, 09:08 PM
Yeh, figured I'd come here first seeing as I'm a hunting n00b.

landphil
01-01-2011, 09:19 PM
Welcome to HBC, but be warned, it can be highly addictive!:mrgreen:

Steeleco
01-01-2011, 09:49 PM
Your in the right area!! Welcome to the site, lots to see and read for beginner hunters. Remember there's no such thing as stupid questions.