PDA

View Full Version : At the feeder this evening.....

Gunner
01-01-2011, 06:52 PM
I run a winter backyard feeder,where I live is about the limit for pheasants,any further east and there just too much snow and I don't think they'd make it here without the feeder.The local whitetails pop in every night for some corn/oats/ barley and apples.Three or 4 years ago I was feeding alfalfa bales as well and getting 15 or 20 deer a night,then a female cougar with a grown kitten killed 4 over 10 days or so and I cut way back.Just before the end of the season I had a huge 6x6 come in and chase the does around he was open but too close to the house to make shooting legal.I was sorely tempted but didn't.I had a very nice 5x5 in the yard tonight harassing the does for almost an hour,I guess one was in late heat.Nice to see a good buck (about 150 +or-),but he didn't hold a candle to the big guy.His tracks are still in the yard so I'll be looking for him next fall!Happy New Years to all....Gunner

BlacktailStalker
01-01-2011, 06:56 PM
All this and no pics !? ;)
Happy new year.

Pete
01-01-2011, 07:02 PM
We are feeding in our front yard. I have 3 feeders out and go through about 150 lbs of feed a month. Black Sunflower, Wild Bird Mix, Cracked Corn, Niger Seed and Suet. I am feeding about 100+ birds not counting the WT that come in at night. At last count I had 12 different species at one time.

Chuck
01-01-2011, 07:26 PM
I just love my bird feeders and the gangs that come to them are very interesting to watch. Problem is that the neighbors cats are always waiting and watching. I don't mind too much as it keeps me up on my slingshot practice, and as we all know, a guy just can't practice too much.

My bro bought a foam whitetail buck decoy from Cabelas - a bowhunter target. Pretty soon some does started coming around. He set up a salt block, suitable for wildlife, I think it was blue.
Eventually a buck came into the yard, and in a few days had pretty well busted up that decoy/target.

Presently he's got 23 turkeys that are eating him out of his pension cheque. Some will take whole shelled peanuts out of the hand, but you have to be careful as they can probably wrench a finger out of its socket. Lol.

Gunner
01-01-2011, 08:02 PM
I don't have any cats around here.had a coyote take a run at a big cock pheasant a few years back,his hide is on the guest room wall! Gunner

quadrakid
01-01-2011, 09:21 PM
We feed lots of birds on our back deck, wife looked out a few days ago and there was a big hawk sitting on the railing,wish i could have got a pic of that.

bearhunter338-06
01-01-2011, 10:15 PM
Maybe I'll come by one day for coffe and show you my bow.....lol

Happy New year
Hope all is well

Burke

StoneChaser
01-02-2011, 03:09 PM
What's a matter.....Denise hide your camera in her purse?

Pics man!!!!!!

Gunner
01-02-2011, 04:12 PM
What's a matter.....Denise hide your camera in her purse?

Pics man!!!!!!Yeah she does have it I think,taking pictures of the beaches in San Jose del Cabo.She's back into Kelowna midnight Tuesday,I hope shes not still wearing shorts and a tanktop :mrgreen: Gunner

boxhitch
01-02-2011, 07:11 PM
My feed pile had a few WT coming around during the action in early Dec, with a good buck, but now things have slowed only the MD does are regulars